+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oooh thank you for the character sheet thread, Elendil's Heir! That is very handy, especially for someone who hasn't played very long like me. Great idea!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. Should've thought to do it long ago.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ooh, that is a great idea. Thanks, Elendil's Heir.

Registered
    Sep 2009

So that's an "Oooh" and an "Ooh"! I must be doing something right.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I hadn't noticed I was mirroring choie there.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

what character sheet? where? am I missing something? I wanna play, too!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    what character sheet? where? am I missing something? I wanna play, too!
    Sorry. Thought you would've noticed it on the Mello RPG homepage: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...acter-profiles

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh! That old thing. It's a permanent tab on my browser at home. I thought it was something new I'd missed out on.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh! That old thing. It's a permanent tab on my browser at home. I thought it was something new I'd missed out on.
    But it is new -- he created it a couple of days ago. I think it's really handy to have all of the sheets in one place, instead of scouring this set-up thread for them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins forgot to ask - how many extraneous Red Shirts can she kill take with her?

Registered
    Sep 2009

None. It's already a bigger boarding party than usual.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll be out of town from Wednesday afternoon through late Friday and may not have Internet access (or much time). Feel free to keep posting in the game thread, but I may not respond until the end of the week.

Registered
    Mar 2012

By the time I post this it's possible Elendil's Heir has returned to guide our way, but I do have a question/suggestion in the meantime. If it's not too presumptuous considering a) I'm brand new, and b) I know almost nothing about RPGs, that is.

During times when our GM isn't here, I wonder if might be a good idea if we made efforts to bring our characters into contact with one another, making it possible to us to interact? Obviously this would only be possible for those of us who aren't in the middle of some activity (e.g. Kylah, Delaney and Pourtash are all on Bridge duty, so we're not that free to move around, and Kylah's just asked a question of Thalen so I think I'm kind of stuck until he answers via our GM). But for folks like T'Var and Collins, maybe you could manipulate yourselves so you can be in contact with one another (maybe Collins notices her shoulder hurts from all that cardio she does and heads down to Sick Bay, that sort of thing)? This way we're not in stasis waiting for the GM. Even Delaney and Pourtash might be able to have some kind of conversation on the Bridge.

Sorry if this sounds pushy from a newbie. It's just that after reading the two mission threads, I've noticed that when not involved in a specific mission or away team (sorry, boarding/landing party) scene, there's a tendency for the characters to split up and do stuff with NPCs or even just by themselves, rather than contriving ways to interact with one another. Which may be very normal for RPGs, I don't know.

But when I watch Star Trek (any incarnation) my favorite bits are almost always the scenes where the crew interact with each other, often during downtime. Whether it's Bashir and O'Brien bantering while playing darts, or Deanna giving Worf parental advice, or Odo snarking it up with Quark, letting us see the relationships (friendly, romantic or conflict-ridden) among the crew may not push the plot forward, but it definitely deepens character development.

Also it lets us do stuff with each other without having to rely on the GM pushing plot. I get the sense that Elendil's Heir might actually approve of this sort of thing, (though obviously I can't speak for him) as long as we don't do anything that infringes on the main plot. As far as I can tell there's no reason we can't have mini-plot arcs driven by our interactions.

Anyway, just a suggestion. What do you guys think? Again I do apologize if this is overstepping and obnoxious coming from a noob.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Definitely worth considering.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think that's a good idea. I really like getting in more in character interactions and building them up as a crew.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...I get the sense that Elendil's Heir might actually approve of this sort of thing, (though obviously I can't speak for him) as long as we don't do anything that infringes on the main plot. As far as I can tell there's no reason we can't have mini-plot arcs driven by our interactions.

Anyway, just a suggestion. What do you guys think? Again I do apologize if this is overstepping and obnoxious coming from a noob.
    Thanks for the suggestion, choie. No need to apologize! I agree with you, and would welcome more mixing among the PCs. I will remind you all of Rule 4: This is a role-playing game, and I encourage you to write about anything which gives further meaning and depth to your character, both on- and off-duty.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

I like this idea. T'Var is a fairly new character as well, so she doesn't really "know" anybody. As a Vulcan, she is a bit introspective, but she's also curious about other races and is more social than most Vulcans.

So, feel free to engage T'Var in conversation or suggest off duty activities -- T'Var would enjoy getting to know you all better!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay! Thanks Elendil's Heir for confirming that it wasn't too uppity of me. (And also thank you for getting Thalen off my back, heh. )

Glad everyone's keen on the idea. I'm really enjoying the game so far and really appreciate having been invited.

Registered
    Sep 2009

We're glad to have you here!

Registered
    Sep 2009

WES posted in the game thread:

T'Var wrinkles her nose, then shakes her head in the negative. "Perhaps another time," she says.

Heheh. This was what Tuvok always said on ST:VGR when someone suggested something he had no interest in ever, EVER doing.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Can we just assume Delaney is doing his duty, trying to duty too much and only lightly socializing at best. He is spread thin by his own nature. I'm reading along but have nothing to add, and what he is actually doing is very boring stuff.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Gotta love those Vulcans!

Registered
    Sep 2009

You sure do! It's the pointed ears and the green blood, you know....

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Can we just assume Delaney is doing his duty, trying to duty too much and only lightly socializing at best. He is spread thin by his own nature. I'm reading along but have nothing to add, and what he is actually doing is very boring stuff.
    That's fine. If you want more feedback from the Chief Engineer or from Engineering subordinates, just post what you want him to be doing. I could easily throw more things Delaney's way.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Geeze, I can't imagine how scary these doctors would be if they had to tell a patient of a serious illness. If I were Collins I'd be assuming I'm terminal by now!

(I'm also intrigued by that 'indulged' line, anyrose!)

Point of Order from an RPG novice: If I want to ask if my character does something, or whether she can do something, do I ask in here, via PM, or in the game thread (assuming I can make the request sufficiently in-character)?
    Last edited by choie; 12 May 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: to clarify I meant the game thread

Registered
    Feb 2009

depends what you want her to do - if you don't mind giving away a plot point or such, post it here; otherwise PM Elendil's Heir.

As for the "indulged" line, you'll just have to wait and see if it becomes an issue.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh. Thanks anyrose. My question isn't really related to a plot point -- or rather, I don't know if it is. I'll give it a go and see.

I look forward to the unveilling of that particular mystery, should it occur.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...Point of Order from an RPG novice: If I want to ask if my character does something, or whether she can do something, do I ask in here, via PM, or in the game thread (assuming I can make the request sufficiently in-character)?
    If it's something very simple, just write, "Ens. Kylah scratches her nose."

If it's at all complicated or difficult, write something like "Ens. Kylah begins to realign the lateral sensor array," and I'll let you know how it goes.

If it's a question of whether or not she's allowed to do something, ask a more senior officer or inquire of the Library Computer in the game thread, or PM me.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Gotcha, thanks Elendil's Heir. (Oops, I almost wrote Elendil's Hair; you must get that a lot! As detailed as Tolkien can get, I doubt he said much about Elendil's tresses.) Well, if Kylah's breaking the rules by listening in, or if it's something she literally cannot do, you can have her change her mind or realize she's not capable of eavesdropping on these outgoing messages. I was just trying to pick up on what seemed like a possible plot beat you were tossing out there in the exposition.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quite so. You're doing fine.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thank you, Elendil's Heir.

I was going to write a PM to you with a question re: your own latest question "Where does Kylah put the backup copies of the files?" but then I thought maybe it would be a good general topic for everyone.

I admit I might have made assumptions about Star Trek ship computers just by assuming the crew members each have their own personal server space. I know that the 1960s TV show that we're using as a guide wouldn't have referred to it (at least my memory doesn't recall a reference to personal computers back then), and heck, I don't remember even TNG or DS9 referring to personal storage space on the main computer system.

But then again, 1960s TV shows probably wouldn't have mentioned abortion either (or would they? that would've been a bigger deal than the Uhura/Kirk kiss I imagine!), so I'm gathering while we're being true to the feel and flavor of ST:TOS, we're also informed by the knowledge of how modern technology works and are assuming things will move roughly in parallel to what we know of 21st century technology, even though obviously we're not going to mention cell phones instead of communicators, or iPads instead of data pads, or thumb drives or whatever.... or are we? It would be simplicity itself for Kylah to unobtrusively transfer files to a wireless flash drive (or whatever the appropriate ST technobabble naming convention would be... maybe a micro-silicon conductor interface or whatever.

So... I guess my question as a ST RPG newbie is first, was it okay to assume that the crew members do have their own storage space, and if so, what should it be called? How much are we stuck with 23rd century technolgoy as seen through mid-20th century designers? Can we make some assumptions that in 200 years mankind will not suddenly go backwards and forget how to create personal computing devices (or name the technology of your choice)?

PS I admit my deciding on the backup copy was a cop-out -- I wasn't sure which decision Kylah would make, but I thought violating Starfleet regs on her first day was going a bit too far; and yet on instinct, either mine or Kylah's , I felt there was something important in those logs. So I figured I'd copy 'em and delay the decision until Kylah is by herself in her quarters. At least if she's gonna break the rules, let her not do it on the Bridge with the Captain sitting a few yards away!
    Last edited by choie; 15 May 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You raise some excellent questions. I'll let others weigh in - players and lurkers - before I give my answers; I'd be interested in what all of you have to say.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Since crew members have personal logs, it stands to reason they'd also have personal storage for family photos and such. Apple has probably merged with Microsoft by the 23rd Century, and whatever other major players are still out there, producing truly universal (at least universally Terran) technology. Flash drives are likely the size of a fingernail, and have only to be placed near a datasource, rather than actually plugged in. There was a civilian fad in the late 22nd century of teenagers stringing several flash drives together and wearing them like beads.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Since crew members have personal logs, it stands to reason they'd also have personal storage for family photos and such.
    Do the crew members in TOS have personal logs? I know they did in TNG and later, but I wasn't sure about TOS. Even on TNG I don't remember if they were considered private, as in, encrypted and unable to be seen by outsiders. I know there was an episode where Geordi has his own mini-version of the movie Laura where he's investigating some Starfleet chick's death/disappearance and he starts listening and watching her personal logs. Of course, he's the chief engineer at this point so if anyone was able to access an encrypted log, it'd probably be him, but I'm just wondering how much expectation of privacy one would have in an organization like Starfleet.

Apple has probably merged with Microsoft by the 23rd Century, and whatever other major players are still out there, producing truly universal (at least universally Terran) technology. Flash drives are likely the size of a fingernail, and have only to be placed near a datasource, rather than actually plugged in. There was a civilian fad in the late 22nd century of teenagers stringing several flash drives together and wearing them like beads.
    Hee, I can see that. Maybe it'd be like autograph books used to be (oh God I'm reeeeallly dating myself, aren't I?) where kids would record some personal message and swap the flash beads with one another and the idea is to get the most beads/jewelry and so on.*

Anyway, a wireless flash device was exactly what I was thinking. But of course it woudl need a proper ST-esque name. Even "nanodrive" would sound more Trek-y. (Does a quick look-up.... how the hell is "nanodrive" not a brand name for a flash drive yet?!)

* And you know what? This is actually an awesome idea for a real product to promote as a fad. Does this already exist, and if not, we need to do something about it!
    Last edited by choie; 16 May 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

So, judgement call, your honor? May Kylah use her wireless thumb drive, which in ST:TOS-ese would be properly called a ___________ (I rather like the name "nanodrive." but whatever you decide is a-okay), to keep her ill-gotten booty?

Registered
    Sep 2009

In general terms, I agree that computer capabilities would not actually have regressed from where they are in 2012 or can be reasonably extrapolated from now. However, the show was made in the 1960s, after all, and the only Starfleet data-storage media we saw in ST:TOS were those flat plastic doohickies, called microtapes: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Microtape. So Kylah can put the clandestine data on a microtape, or simply transfer the file(s) electronically to her own shipboard comm account (which functions, as has earlier been mentioned, as email/bulletin board/fax/text/video/audio/picturephone/overall personal data storage, etc.) of, in practical terms, virtually unlimited storage capacity. All Yorktown crew have their own comm accounts, which are private under Starfleet regs, voiceprint- and/or password-protected, and could even be encrypted, especially by a talented young Communications officer....
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 May 2012 at 07:53 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Fair enough, thanks Elendil's Heir. Well, I've already mentioned that she copied them so I don't really need to go into further detail as yet. When it's retrieval time I can mention the accounts and such.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Should've answered your other question: Starfleet personnel are permitted but not required to keep personal logs. They, as with comm accounts generally, are considered private unless there is (a) a compelling duty-related reason for a superior officer to need to read them, or (b) probable cause to believe they contain evidence of the commission of a crime. Both are a rarety.

All department heads keep official logs, and the Captain, of course, keeps the ship's log.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Elendil's Heir - please do let us know when it's getting close to 1800 ship's time

Registered
    Sep 2009

Of course. I was thinking over the weekend that, to move things along, Collins and Cooper might have their conversation about her pregnancy through PMs between anyrose and me, and when it's run its course, I'll post it in its entirety (subject to some editing, if necessary) in the game thread. The rest of the characters can meet for dinner sooner that way. What do you think?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sounds good

Registered
    Feb 2009

works for me - PM on its way

Registered
    Mar 2009

All right! Trying to catch up quickly here, as I'm leaving to go across the country yet again in a few hours. I added it up last night and realized I've only spent eight weeks total at home in the last six months. o_O

Good news is that I'll be home tomorrow morning and will not be going anywhere else for at least two months.

...I hope.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Cool, this has been a very long first shift for Kylah!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Have a good trip, Zuul!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday weekend. Working here, but my piggy bank is happy.

Live Long and Prosper!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thank you. It's been a good but busy weekend, incl. my 25th college reunion. Saw a lot of old friends and caught up with some people I haven't seen in a looooong time.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I just want you all to know just how ignorant I am, in a "what the hell is she doing in a Star Trek RPG" sort of way: I actually had to Google for like ten minutes before I could decide what Kylah's one-line response should be to Singh's asking her to hail the freakin' station.

(First I wasn't sure if by "Hail the station" Singh meant that it was Kylah's job to say the old "This is the U.S.S. Yorktown" greeting bit, or if "Hail the station" meant "open a frequency so I can do my 'This is Captain Singh of the U.S.S. Yorktown' bit." Then I was torn between "Channel is open" or "Frequency is open" (Uhura seems to have used both according to my research, though TNG it was purely "frequency," and quite often Riker did it instead of Picard, after Data opened the hail.) I was also contemplating "Frequency is open and they've responded," but the latter seems presumptuous. For all I know, Elendil's Heir intendes for the station to have been taken over by a virus and everyone's dead.)

In short: I'm pretty ignorant. I figure doing the Uhura role would make sense since, no offense to Nichelle Nichols, but her role wasn't exactly technologically demanding. (They didn't even have a regular Comm officer on ST:TNG as far as I know.)

Just thought I'd come clean to prepare y'all for my inevitable flubs. Which is partially why I made Kylah a newbie/outsiderish and not-very-diplomatically-inclined kinda gal. So if her portrayer messes up, it'll be sort of in-character. Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Last edited by choie; 10 Jun 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

yeah. right. whatever.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Mistakes happen, choi. You can always PM EH and ask him if you're unsure of something, too.

I have now had two dreams about this game. In the first one, Delaney was making Pourtash cook waffles for everybody (er, why?) and the second had the Yorktown overrun with tribbles.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have yet to dream of the game. But I respect those who do!

And yes, you're always welcome to PM me if you have any questions about the game.

+ Reply to thread