+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

nm
    Last edited by anyrose; 26 Feb 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I'll post that in the game thread for you.
    hmm, there's enjoying, and then there's enjoying. Just so we're clear which one was meant in the post, the "enjoyment" was some private adult time after a full day spent together.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think we all knew what you meant, nudge nudge wink wink.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

I sure did. Not sure T'Var would, though. Then again -- you never know with Vulcans!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm still willing to bring in another player or two, if anyone's interested, or knows of someone who might be...?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hello, everyone. I'm so sorry for my absence. I caught strep throat and instead of being a minor sore throat like it was when I was a kid, it's lingered for weeks and left me pretty out of it, on top of a burst ear drum from a secondary infection.

I am back now, though, and going to be catching up to jump back into the game. I missed it!
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

We're very glad you're back, Zuul! We missed you.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Welcome back. We missed you, too! Hope you're feeling much, much better.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, welcome back. Beaming you Trek style healing vibes

Registered
    Feb 2009

There's $10m with your name on it if you can make a working medical tricorder: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16518171
    Just FYI, the Tricorder Mark I was already invented, marketed and sold in the late 90s by a Canadian company, although it isn't a medical device and is no longer in production, so it doesn't meet the X Prize requirements. But the tech is on the road that way.

(Don't mind me. Just poking around, at Elendil's Heir's request...)
    Hell is other people.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    There's $10m with your name on it if you can make a working medical tricorder: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16518171
    Just FYI, the Tricorder Mark I was already invented, marketed and sold in the late 90s by a Canadian company, although it isn't a medical device and is no longer in production, so it doesn't meet the X Prize requirements. But the tech is on the road that way.

Cool, stick around, the place is quiet now but peaceful at least. Were you considering joining in the game?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post

Cool, stick around, the place is quiet now but peaceful at least. Were you considering joining in the game?
    Considering but leaning towards no. Between work, coaching ball, and writing for three different websites these days, my calendar is pretty full. I may change my mind at some point, however, since I spent a lot of time and money on the FASA game in my youth.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I just emailed my old GURPS buddies - perhaps one or two of them would like to play

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm certainly willing to discuss it with anyone who's interested. I'd like to add another player or two.

Dread pirate jimbo, the game really only take a few minutes every other day, at a minimum. And it looks like you have your costume already...!

Registered
    Sep 2009

We will be having a new player, choie, join us shortly. She's also a Doper. Stay tuned.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hi everyone. I've just finished reading both missions and the set-up thread, so I'm rarin' to go. However, not only is this my first RPG, I'm also not all that knowledgable in the TOSverse; I'm a TNG/DS9 gal all the way. Nevertheless, I'll try not to let any anachronistic stuff slip into my character's thoughts/dialogue, and I'll also try to watch some eps (and will keep abreast of things in Memory Alpha as much as I can). Thanks very much to Elendil's Heir for inviting me!

My next post will be my character sheet, which.... um... like most of my posts on the SDMB, is rather too long and detailed. Gonna eliminate some stuff (though everything we discussed will remain part of her character, O leader) so y'all don't fall asleep on me.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh wait I lied about this being my character sheet post. I forgot to mention how entertaining both missions were, just as an observer, and that you guys did a terrific job in both. Especially that simulation--I still have no idea how Collins figured it out! Lots of fun and I hope to fit in and at least try to live up to your standards of entertainment and character exploration.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Welcome to the game and the board. We're one of the quiet backwaters of the net.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aw man, I was hoping for a wretched hive of scum and villainy. But seriously, thanks Jim.

Okay, wasn't able to keep it as brief as I wanted, but c'est la vie.

=======================
    Starfleet Personnel File
    =======================

NAME: Kylah

CURRENT RANK: Ensign

CURRENT ASSIGNMENT: Assistant Communications Officer, USS Yorktown, NCC-1717

SPECIES: Half-human but raised by members of the Elasian royal family.

SEX: Female

HOMEWORLD: Elas

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Kylah has very dark, wavy brown hair and fair skin. She is quite striking, with nearly black eyes that can seem hypnotic, and expressions that can flash from serenity to rage, and from open to inscrutable, in only seconds. She does her best to restrain her warring emotions, which she’s been told tend to show on her face, and falls back into an impassive demeanor. Her full lips don't smile very often (but when they do, watch out!), and she has a small, well-curved figure that looks good in the Starfleet uniform dress that she prefers to wear as it's most similar to the Elasian attire that she grew up with (in her family, trousers were associated with overalls or work outfits – peasant garb).

PERSONALITY: Kylah was raised as the first-born child of two members of the Elasian Royal Family, cousins to the future Dohlman Elaan (who is ten years older than Kylah). Kylah was highly prized and her parents had hopes for her becoming Dohlman if something should happen to Elaan, but this favored status lasted only until her mother gave birth to anoher daughter. Abruptly her parents' attitude toward her changed and the truth came out: Kylah had been adopted, privately sold to her parents in order to provide them with an heir when they thought they couldn't have children. Worse, she learned she wasn't even a full Elasian--her father was a human.

As the natural differences between her and the others grew more apparent, her family (which also included a younger brother) made her feel like a freak, while with other children in school, she feigned bravado with her sharp tongue and willingness to defend herself against anyone who bullied her. Even though she invariably ended up more physically hurt than her opponents, her insults were so incisive she was often considered the victor.

Kylah is focused and intense, and has a remarkable memory; she can sit in the corner at a party for hours at a time, and can later recite full conversations verbatim, and is also an excellent mimic.

SPOUSE, SIGNIFICANT OTHER OR NEXT OF KIN, IF ANY: Her younger siblings (the natural children of her adoptive parents) are her only family. Their parents died when she was young, and she has no idea who her birth parents were/are, but she's had many servants and particularly a guardian to look after her and her siblings. This guardian, who would eventually become the new Elasian ambassador to the Federation, proposed to her when she came of marriageable age at 18 (though she will still be under her guardian’s control until she’s 25). She turned him down, not kindly, as she suspected he was using her to gain a connection to the royal family.

Even though Elas wasn't yet a UFP member, Kylah's guardian realized that since her birth father was human, she was eligible for Starfleet. He shipped her off to the Starfleet Academy, which she guesses was because she’d mocked his proposal. Glad to get away, though somewhat resentful at having a future picked for her, Kylah entered the Academy.

HOBBIES OR INTERESTS: Kylah loves music and can sing and play an Elasian zither. Hates sports but has trained, as most all Elasians have, in many forms of armed and unarmed combat. She owns a pair of non-regulation throwing knives that she keeps secreted beneath her uniform, and is expert in their uses (which is fortunate since she’s not very strong). But her true weapon is cutting with words. She adores the ancient works of Shakespeare and can recite whole acts from memory. She loves all animals, finding their honest simplicity a relief compared to the duplicity and subterfuge of people.

ACADEMIC BACKGROUND: Private schooling; Starfleet Academy Class of 2269.

Her highest Academy marks were in language and astronomy. Her facility for learning languages and memorization made Communications a natural choice, but her lack of tact and dislike of protocol made her a tough case for some of her teachers, and certainly took her out of the running for any diplomatic career path. Still, she has an uncanny ability to use even fragmentary information to come up with workable translations of alien languages.

Despite some problems at the Academy caused by her sharp tongue and some injudicious mimicry of her professors when outside class—but not, sadly, outside their earshot—she still yearned for acceptance while not trusting others. She was excellent at poker, though she won so often she was accused of cheating, and was no longer invited to play.

SERVICE RECORD: Assigned to the Yorktown right after graduation, Kylah is certain she’ll do well in her specialty but worries about meeting and getting along with others—and especially taking orders, still not exactly her strong suit. Something doesn’t fit about how easy it was to get assigned to such a prestigious post, but as defensive as she is, she decides to play it as no more than she deserves as a member of the royal family.

GOAL: To be a starship captain. Anything less than a command position is unacceptable—her goal is to avoid ever being under anyone’s thumb again.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Apr 2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Ital for ship name

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nicely done, choie, and thanks! Glad to have you aboard.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

A warm welcome, Choie! Glad to have you aboard.

Don't worry about the TOS thing. I was just the same -- knew a lot about TNG, etc. Very little about TOS. You kinda learn as you go and you'll find that your crewmates here are very patient, kind and helpful.

Once again, welcome and enjoy!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Welcome aboard, Chole.

As for how Collins figured it out, she's psychotic psychic.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! I'm sure looking forward to that ship docking with the Yorktown (sorry for the lack of italics, Elendil's Heir!) so Kylah can step aboard and begin her first assignment. We -- er, I mean, she has a lot to learn.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Welcome aboard, choi! I look forward to seeing Kylah in game.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) meets the President: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...lly-What-Exit-)

Registered
    Mar 2012

anyrose, I must say I'm tempted to have Kylah snap "I heard you the first time!" to Collins.

Also I thought I was still wth the First Officer. Things move quickly on this ship!

Registered
    Feb 2009

nm
    Last edited by anyrose; 04 Apr 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...Also I thought I was still wth the First Officer. Things move quickly on this ship!
    You can do a flashback to the rest of your conversation with Cmdr. Vargas, if you'd like. You write your lines, and I'll write his.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh thanks, Elendil's Heir. It's not important, I was just expecting more grilling time since you'd asked how Kylah was going to respond to the question/comment, so I thought we were heading somewhere with that. But it makes total sense to just zip ahead and get to the PC interaction.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, choie, this is gonna be FUN!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh. Thank you, and right back atcha! As I've mentioned my favorite Treks were TNG and DS9 (especially DS9, I should emphasize), so interpersonal conflict is what I enjoy most.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Okay, so I'm Dax and you're Narisse?

Just don't, Elendil's Heir, let anyone start calling me "old man"
    Last edited by anyrose; 05 Apr 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

As it happens my RL name is Kira, funnily enough. Not sure if you're Dax -- you're definitely gonna run into trouble if you start trying to sleep with any Klingons at this point in history!

As an aside, I must say it really is a challenge to be playing a game with none of the races that I'm so used to. Bajorans, Cardassians, friendly(ish) Klingons, Trills, Ferengi... Obviously they're out there, somewhere, but we're certainly not coming across any -- except, I presume, the Klingons, but they certainly won't be the honor-obsessed antiheroes they turned into in TNG/DS9.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just a word, I'm scuffling along with Delaney at the moment. I think the Ref needs to pull us PC together in some way.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm purposely trying to make the rounds to interact with other characters. Can't you, I dunno, drop a bi-phasic tetryon conductor on your foot and head over to Sick Bay? We definitely need more interaction and I think, during down times, it's up to us to connive ways to be together, rather than go off and do our own things with NPCs. Handsome as they may be, Mr. Collins!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jealous, much, Mr Kylah?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Now that Kylah is aboard we'll move forward in the next day or so. By all means, have her explore the ship and meet other PCs, if you like.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'd love to if the damn doctor will deign to talk to or even notice me. Vulcan levels of concentration must be scary good!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Now, now. Patience, my friend! I only ask that players check the game thread at least every other day.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh, sorry, Kylah's cantankerousness is catchy.

Now here's a question for you after your latest update: what's a "comm account"? Is this something Kylah would have on her person (e.g. part of her communicator) or something she'd only see in one of the computer panels if she logs in?

And if it's the latter, WES, is this something T'Var can check in her panel and pass the news on to Kylah? I'd like to continue our talk in Sickbay for a minute but if things have moved past that and we're all assumed to be back in our quarters having checked the comm accounts (whatever they are ), that's cool and we can get moving on the mission briefing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

I was just waiting for Kylah to answer T'Var's question about the brief exam in her office. Didn't know we had moved ahead. Or have we?

Sometimes the game posts overlap. Can get a bit confusing. It seems to work itself out, though.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ha! Well played, WES. I totally forgot about those knives.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A spammer hit the previous game thread. I deleted the post. Do you want me to close the thread to guard against that happening again, Elendil's Heir?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, please, Zuul. Thanks.

choie, your character's comm account is a communications account, like email, text, fax and voicemail all in one. She may access it at any Library Computer terminal, or (audio only) with her communicator. Starfleet personnel don't typically carry around communicators while aboard ship, though.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sorry for the delay in my posting in the game thread. Been a very busy weekend for me.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Miskatonic U? I've got a bad feeling about this....

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Miskatonic U? I've got a bad feeling about this....
    I had the same reaction, who is hiding behind the star. ::shudder::

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just as a heads up, I have to travel yet again tomorrow night. I should be able to contribute to the game Tuesday morning and then again Wednesday evening, but if things are getting good and I suddenly go quiet, that would be why.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. I really appreciate the heads-up, Zuul.

And glad you both caught the Miskatonic U. reference (as I knew you would). Heheheheh....

+ Reply to thread