+ Reply to thread
Page 105 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,250 of 5593

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Understood, and thanks, SG!

A featured article on the Wiki homepage today; this is the great-grandfather and namesake of the actor who played Commodore Decker on ST:TOS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Windom
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Jul 2021 at 04:07 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Interesting, how funny. How did you come across him? In looking at the actor's bio, I see his first film role was as the prosecution in To Kill a Mockingbird. That's one helluva credit to have for a debut!

Wasn't Will Riker originally called Decker at some point in the TNG planning stages? The name sounds familiar to me, and I don't think it's from the TOS episode since, um, I'm not sure I've seen it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I just saw the article on the Wiki homepage about the original Windom and recognized the name, then clicked around and found out they were related. I'd never heard of the historic older Windom before.

Roddenberry definitely had a thing for hard-K sounds for his heroes: Kirk, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, Decker, Picard, Riker, etc. Riker was a lot like Decker the younger, who appeared in ST:TMP and was confirmed by GR in his novelization of the movie to be the Commodore's son, although that was never actually stated on-screen. Both were young, ambitious, good-looking WASPy male Starfleet officers who served as First Officer of the Enterprise. Both had life-changing affairs with alien women which didn't end well, and both ended up later serving with those women on the Enterprise, rekindling their relationships despite some initial awkwardness.

For more:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Matt_Decker
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Will_Decker

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh that's what I must've been remembering. His name was even Will too! Oy, I see he was played by Stephen Collins. That's... unfortunate.

Did this so-called lifeform that Will D., Ilia probe and V'ger formed ever get referenced again? Seems like an enemy just waiting to happen. Okay, did some research to answer my question and apparently it wasn't, at least on any of the TV shows. That's a surprisingly large plot hole and missed opportunity. IMHO of course. But then I'm a total continuity whore and love as a writer bringing up threads from past incidents or character traits to add depth to the present. What do you think, should or could this have been something worthwhile to explore?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think it was discussed by the VGR production crew, who wondered if perhaps Janeway & Co. might bump into the Decker/Ilia/V'ger fused lifeform somewhere out there in the Delta Quadrant on their long journey, and it might have been an interesting episode had they done so. (I like those kind of character revisits, too, now and then, where appropriate and not too farfetched or contrived). Of course, it all depends on how well it was handled, and unfortunately with VGR the ratio of crap:gold was pretty high IMHO.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Sorry, missed this response! Yes, good point as far as how likely VGR would've screwed it up, and, odds were pretty good (esp. post-S2, when IIRC Michael Piller resigned and the show's quality sank even further). Oh crap, I just checked Wikipedia and discovered he passed away 15 years ago. That's horrible, I didn't know he was ill. Such a talented man. He's pretty much responsible for the depth of the Trekverse, isn't he. Along with a few others, but AFAIK Piller was integral in developing the characters more fully, esp. after Roddenberry died. I can't believe I didn't look him up before to see what he was up to post-VGR.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, he made a remarkable contribution to ST in his time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Piller

Registered
    Sep 2009

"One of our Science officers TBD," indeed! Onn knows perfectly well who'll be going over to the Ain't She with Graham.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh yeah, she's totally lying.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Oh yeah, she's totally lying.
    LOL. There's a surveillance video of former DC mayor Marion Berry getting busted where in the moment he shouts "B*tch set me up!"

Came to mind...

Registered
    Sep 2009

And he got reelected, so it's all good. :: rolleyes ::

Registered
    Sep 2009

If anyone would like their own print of Washington and the French general Rochambeau conferring at Yorktown: https://shop.amrevmuseum.org/yorktow...t-11-x-14.html

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ Ooh that's lovely. Thanks!

Meanwhile, now that Nia's done her job, I'm just gonna pull up a lawn chair and enjoy the Graham/Rangin show. Don't disappoint me, boys!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham has a phaser-2 (from his earlier patrol duties) and a communicator, while Rangin has a phaser-1, communicator and tricorder, is that right?

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Graham has a phaser-2 (from his earlier patrol duties) and a communicator, while Rangin has a phaser-1, communicator and tricorder, is that right?
    That makes sense to me.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Waitasec, is Graham already married to Marala? He just mentally called her his wife, not his fiancee.

Registered
    May 2013

I think - emphasize think - that I dropped the ball on writing or contributing to some retrospective scenes between "now" and the end of the last mission that would encompass the marriage that would have bee published already.

But - in any event - for Graham, making the commitment is pretty much it...even if the ceremony hadn't occurred yet, in his mind, he's in, she's his wife. [Not a contrived cover legit Grahamian pscyhology.]

Registered
    Sep 2009

general, you are clearly the resident expert on legit Grahamian psychology.

To be clear: they're not married yet, and we will all have the fun of writing about the ceremony.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ah got it, thanks guys! Yes, that will be a fun ceremony. For most.

(I've lost track... does Marala even know about Graham/Nia? Because if not, she should totally ask Nia to be her maid of honor. HA!)

Registered
    Jan 2018

Yes thank you EH, I'm happy with what you've suggested for Rangin to be carrying, I don't think there is need for anything more.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, Rangin.

choie, no, I don't think Marala knows about Graham/Nia. I don't remember him mentioning it to her. But perhaps general remembers otherwise...?

Registered
    Mar 2012

That would've been an awkward conversation if it did happen! Rangin finding out about the partner swap should be enjoyably awkward too. Lots of grist for the mill.

Registered
    May 2013

I think its right that Graham has not talked to Marala about Nia - I have thought about it, but have not published

Registered
    Sep 2009

Can't wait to read it!

Registered
    May 2013

C'mon y'all, you know Graham would want to show love and respect to Nia and have her be involved in his wedding and, also, too, be hopelessly effed-up and conflicted about that....

Working on it...

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by Rangin View post
    Yes thank you EH, I'm happy with what you've suggested for Rangin to be carrying, I don't think there is need for anything more.
    Wait - did I forget to write the part about Rangin having a leaky jar of Denebian Slime Devil bait in his pocket????

Registered
    Sep 2009

I knew there was something else. Work with me here, guys...!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Fun trivia: the ladies have been off-screen for a month (Nia) and six weeks (Kylah). As an audience member I was hoping for some real guy-on-guy action, so to speak. Graham should at least throw a sucker punch at Rangin, for pete's sake.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. Feel free to write more about the ladies back aboard the Yorktown. It could even be flashback scenes, if you like.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks! I can't really think of an option for either of 'em. Well, there's one obvious flashback subject for Nia, but it requires Graham's input and I don't think general_urko has time. It'll keep.

Registered
    May 2013

Thanks! I can't really think of an option for either of 'em. Well, there's one obvious flashback subject for Nia, but it requires Graham's input and I don't think general_urko has time. It'll keep.
    Gaaaah...I can make some time. (Not beating myself up for dropping the ball - was more or less necessary. But things are better now and should be thru the rest of August!)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh I know you must be crazy busy, I didn't intend any slight, general. Everyone has a lot on their plate these days. (Except for me, heh, but freelancing is always a crapshoot.)

Registered
    May 2013

Oh I know you must be crazy busy, I didn't intend any slight, general. Everyone has a lot on their plate these days. (Except for me, heh, but freelancing is always a crapshoot.)
    No slight taken whatsoever...there is an ebb and flow, and it was a good reminder to get back in the saddle when things permit, and these days they do in fact now permit!

Registered
    Sep 2009

:: steeples fingers ::

Excellent.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    "I'd prefer to stay close to my...new family," he replies tightly and evenly--and a little low, as if that might shield Nia from being reminded of his recent, abrupt marriage..
    Whoa, whoa... I thought Graham and Marala weren't married yet, and the nuptials still lie ahead of us. Am I totally mixed up re: the timeline?

Just checked EH post above, #5218:

general, you are clearly the resident expert on legit Grahamian psychology.

To be clear: they're not married yet, and we will all have the fun of writing about the ceremony.
    Maybe a quick edit, just to change 'marriage' to 'engagement', general, if this is still the case?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Good catch, choie, and thanks. Leave it to me.

Registered
    Apr 2015

I know we don't do dice rolls as such, but the RPG across the street inspires me to ask: Can I have a Perception check on whether Nia can hear any of the Graham/Rangin discussion?

(Actually, she's having this discussion over the Captain's chair comm speaker, right? So would the others on the Bridge be able to hear some of this, assuming they were listening? That would be extra cringe-worthy.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Good question, SidGa, and you are correct. Clarified in the game thread.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm off for my annual Civil War roundtable fall field trip with friends (our first since COVID hit), this time to the battlefield at Chickamauga, Ga. I may not be able to post again until Monday.

Registered
    May 2013

Safe travels, EH. And good eye, SG.

Registered
    May 2013

Hey I know I've been touch and go lately, I am very happy to report I'm taking next week off, so don't feel bad about reminding me (for example) about any balls I've dropped and things to write to move the story forward. Thanks for your patience, folks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

But of course. I was away for most of the weekend again, as it happens.

Registered
    Mar 2012

... Whilst I stayed at home, like the lazeabout I am. Glad to have you both back, woohoo!

We absolutely need Nia to be around one time when Marala calls Graham "Boojee." This is a thing that must happen.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. Yes, it must.

Registered
    May 2013

We absolutely need Nia to be around one time when Marala calls Graham "Boojee." This is a thing that must happen.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    ...Ideally during the wedding vows. (Assuming Nia's invited. I can almost imagine Graham not inviting her out of perceived sensitivity and consideration, though it would likely only hurt/anger/embarrass her more.)

(Wow I still can't spell "embarrass" right on the first try. And I edit/proofread for a living. How embara shameful.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm going to move things along a bit. Please post whatever you wish your character to do in the current situation, and then anything else by 2pm EST Wednesday, and then I'm going to shift us forward to the Graham/Marala wedding. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh hallelujah, yay, you're back! I was beginning to get worried. Cool about moving ahead to what's no doubt going to be quite a joyous event for everyone.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey, GM sir, protocol question. For this momentous occasion, are the crew supposed to be wearing their dress uniforms? Not sure whether the ceremony is considered officially Starfleet or civilian. (Guess it's a mixed marriage, ha ha.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Good question, choie. Your character may wear either Starfleet dress uniform, regular duty uniform or civilian clothing, as you wish. We sometimes saw a mix of each on formal occasions on TOS.

+ Reply to thread