+ Reply to thread
Page 104 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,200 of 5592

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, choie. I really appreciate your help trying to recruit new players.

We don't know yet for sure how "Irkhuit" is pronounced, but just off the cuff, I'd guess "ur COOT."

Yes, the most recent mission didn't take that long in Star Trek time: as I figure it, a day at Beta Antares IV, six days in transit to Novy Rostov, a day or so there, and now four days since breaking orbit on our way back to BA4. Time flies....
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Apr 2021 at 02:38 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aw rats, I guessed wrong again. I was too focused on the "huit," as in the French word for "eight." So I was going with (roughly) "irk-quee." Curses, foiled again! And my character is supposed to be a linguistic genius.

Thanks, EH!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soitenly! And you probably already guessed this, but it's not a French word.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

I have a colleague at work who's written a (nonfiction) book and is also a super nerd (said with profound admiration) I'll give a go at seeing if she wants to participate.

I really appreciate the story (and the humans) continuing through this last year.

Among other things my mom got COVID and she is now 100% completely OK, but...well, there was some dark time in there.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I believe it! Glad she's better now. Thanks for letting us know.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh gosh, that's awful! I'm so relieved your mother recovered--I can't imagine how that must've for you. I hope she's not having too many lingering aftereffects. (Or, better yet, none.)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Holy crap I had no idea Helen Noel was a "real" Trek character all this time! Wow. Coincidentally the actress, at least in the Memory Alpha photo, looks very close to way I picture Kylah. Something between her and Inara on Firefly.

(Between her and Nia, you'd think I watched Firefly! Pure coincidence though. Only Nia was directly inspired by the actress from the show, Gina Torres.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I always liked Dr. Noel - the actress reminded me a bit of Geena Davis. I'm a big Inara (and Firefly) fan, too.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I need to give that show a try. It's funny: this is a series I was barely conscious of, but whenever I was putting together Nia's image using some Gina Torres shots, I learned enough about the characters to know a favorite would probably have been the Wash guy. And then I heard about a certain plot point. Naturally! Damn, my "every character I like ends up insane, dead or evil" curse even works retroactively!

What struck me about Noel (and I see the pun now) is that apparently she shows up in an episode with a Christmas party?! I cannot conceive of Star Trek even referencing a religious holiday like Christmas (notwithstanding Picard's fantasy in Generations).

P.S.: Does the cat helming the ship video feature the cat saying, "I'm still able to go forward... I'm not a lawyer!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL - that'd be great; it should!

Yes, I think just about any Trekker would like Firefly. Check it out! My only regret is that it ended much, much too soon (only 14 eps and a movie).

Christmas has come up more than you might think in the various incarnations of ST: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Christmas

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sorry I've been absent a bit. Unfortunately I've been preoccupied with my very suddenly sick cat. I'm taking care of her but I know we'll be saying goodbye soon. I'm still grieving her mom, who died last year.

Re: the Christmases, you're right, of course. Well, I see VOY referenced it the most, and surely I can't be expected to know that because, y'know. VOY. (I only watched it till the 1st ep of Season 3.)

I guess I'm just struck by the idea that the ship itself would actually hold a Christmas party, vs. the other references (which were fictional, holodeck-based or imaginary). That's like something that belongs on Mad Men, not RoddenberryLand. I guess if they celebrate Captain Picard day, anything is possible. Sisko became a deity himself, too. Geeze Roddenberry would've hated that. But he would've probably hated DS9 altogether, esp. after the 1st or 2nd season, which is when it got kickass.

Thanks for passing along that article re: EVAs. That was SNAFU after SNAFU. I can't even comprehend what he was going through and how brave it was for him to just keep going without even telling Mission Control.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Welcome back, choie, and hope your cat is doing much better, despite predictions.

Agreed on your other points, definitely.

Registered
    May 2013

Sorries and sympathy for the cat, choie. I know how that feels.

And amazingly enough, my mom is 100-percent.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Now that's good news! Glad to hear it, general.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks for your good thoughts, gentlemen. I'm just hoping to keep Sophie comfortable for as long as possible. Until four days ago you wouldn't have believed she's 18--healthiest cat I've ever had. Then, boom. Fucking cancer.

But much much better news from you, general! I echo EH's delight to hear about your mom's resilience! Will she be able to get the vaccine, or is there a wait after one has the virus?

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's status about that, if it's not too personal to ask? I've had my first shot, the Pfizer version. The second (which I'm kinda dreading given all the talk about how much worse the 2nd dose is) will be May 6.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Note for the latest Nia post: As I'm reading Post 2 in the game thread, the Captain's log says they'll be meeting with more ships over the next couple of days on the way to Beta Antares IV. That means they'll all still have time left traveling to the planet after the rendezvous, right? If I'm wrong and it's two days' total trip, ignore the stuff in green, please, and assume she didn't say it. I hate Nia sounding ditsy or ignorant just 'cause I misunderstood! She can't help having a player dumber than herself.

Registered
    May 2013

OK, point 1: I'm lost...is there a new game thread? [blush] Link for the lame?

Yeah my mom is fine...and fully vaccinated. Connecticut has been tearing it up on vaccinations. My little brother (also there) has been fully vaxed too.

WA state...not so much. You can drive into the red areas of the state where they can't give it away if you want to undertake that...I'm scheduled for next week - finally, after daily checking 10 websites for weeks - here in Seattle next week.

Aww...we lost a young cat to cancer, our "old guy" was healthy but around 17-18 just went to sleep and passed. "Keeping her comfortable" is the right thing in our experience. They don't have existential angst, but they *do* feel love right up until the time it's right to let them go.

Apparently women get shellacked by the 2nd dose more than men, says woman friend who's a doctor. But she says ~a day of ugh is typically the worst case.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Hee, the game thread is right below this one (at least, if you visit the forum through the RPG category): Star Trek RPG Mission 7: "The War-Brotherhood of Irkhuit".

I'm surprised about WA being so far behind, considering it was the first ground zero for the virus (IIRC). Then again... actually, nothing should surprise me anymore. But good to hear your mom & bro are taken care of (go Team Northeast!), and that you'll be jabbed shortly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for the link, SG. Thought you'd already seen it, g_u. Sorry about that.

My wife and I've had the one-shot J&J vaccine and we'll hit the six-week mark tomorrow. Our three sons will all have had their second Pfizer shot by Saturday.

Registered
    May 2013

Apparently WA made its scheme so complicated it slowed everything down (literally there were tiers like "1-B-2"). And the split across the state slows things down - the Eastern half chronically has surpluses, while Seattle is the A-#-1 top city for intention to get it. But it's all good, it'll get done...

Registered
    May 2013

Also, sorry, I just missed the new thread! On it...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Attaboy!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey I just noticed Appleciders in the other RPG thread. Proto-Rangin! I wonder what they'd think of all the sturm undt drang Rangin's been up to since then. (AC left about 1/3 of the way through the Sakathian mission. So a lot's happened to that xenobiologist!)

Just a funny thing: While I was scanning the Setup thread the other day, I found this note about communicators after there was a reference to Kylah's "comm account" and her ignorant player asked for clarification. Changes since that time--2012, incredibly--noted in blue:

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir a billion years ago
    choie, your character's comm account is a communications account, like email, text, fax and voicemail all in one. She may access it at any Library Computer terminal, or (audio only) with her communicator. Starfleet personnel don't typically carry around communicators while aboard ship, though.
    Technology has upgraded since then, as we're texting left and right! (Sorry: port and starboard.) And now we've got the crew carrying those little devices on their belts even onboard. (And Kylah still breaks or loses them! What a ditz.)

Don't get me wrong, I think the changes in communication policy/tech is more logical anyway. How else do people get in touch with one another if not via communicators? That probably didn't arise much in TOS, having a bit less intracrew action, but I'm glad TNG had those pins that let them be instantly reachable.

IMHO the current specs of the Yorktown's tech make perfect sense from an evolutionary point of view, as a sort of bridge between the TOS - TNG methods of communication.

Anyhoo. Just thought I'd bring it up. And EH, sorry, I just remembered your question at the end of the last mission: What was the source of your names during Marala? To my shame I know very little about SFF fiction, so didn't recognize whatever the references. I'm hopeless at this. You'd have to switch to detective fiction for me to grok* anything!

* Okay, I have read that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ten points for whoever picks up on my recent Simpsons reference without Googling.

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...And EH, sorry, I just remembered your question at the end of the last mission: What was the source of your names during Marala? To my shame I know very little about SFF fiction, so didn't recognize whatever the references. I'm hopeless at this. You'd have to switch to detective fiction for me to grok* anything!
    See post 5147 above.

I mostly agree as to your other observations, choie, although, for all we know, our PCs are unusual among their crewmates in carrying their communicators even while back aboard the Yorktown. That was not typically done, from what we saw on ST:TOS, when Kirk, Spock, McCoy et al. were never far away from a bulkhead- or desk-mounted comm unit while shipboard.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 May 2021 at 10:59 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

John Scalzi! CRAP! I've been a fan since the ancient original serial version of Old Men's War. Sorry, I totally missed that post explaining it, EH.

Good lord bringing up Mr. Mayhew is a deep cut. Bravo! Carlos Alvarez would've been my guess but I love that Mayhew turns up out of the blue! One encounter and boom, she's got an admirer; must be that high CHA stat showing up again. OTOH, it's nice that she's using it to better effect on purpose, e.g., the bluff paying off with the quartermaster. Finally her CHA manages to do something other than drawing men's attention. (And possibly women's too.)

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Ten points for whoever picks up on my recent Simpsons reference without Googling.

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...And EH, sorry, I just remembered your question at the end of the last mission: What was the source of your names during Marala? To my shame I know very little about SFF fiction, so didn't recognize whatever the references. I'm hopeless at this. You'd have to switch to detective fiction for me to grok* anything!
    See post 5147 above.

I mostly agree as to your other observations, choie, although, for all we know, our PCs are unusual among their crewmates in carrying their communicators even while back aboard the Yorktown. That was not typically done, from what we saw on ST:TOS, when Kirk, Spock, McCoy et al. were never far away from a bulkhead- or desk-mounted comm unit while shipboard.
    The handy-ready-at-hand comm unit is interesting...today we've all gotten used to carrying our comms device, but I think we've also forgotten how ubiquitous pay phones were back in the day (they were big money makers!) The biggest study of 911 calls back in the day - 80s IIRC - found that accress to a phone didn't significantly matter. Which is weird from today's lens of phones in the pocket, but not from the environment then.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Quick question--I have no idea if Nia used the correct lingo in my last post, trying to ask exactly what angle/direction the ASAB is coming at them from. Since it's 3 dimensions I know it's not just gonna be "from the northeast" or whatever. Is "bearing" the right term? Coordinates? Heading? It's usually "Something mark something-else" IIRC.

If I goofed, can we just assume Nia asked correctly? Maybe you could edit it with the right terminology, if you're so inclined, EH. I'd be super-grateful!

Registered
    Mar 2012

(Breathing fast and a little sweaty from changing IDs so quickly...)

You guys are probably right about the lessened need for instant communications. It just seems so elegant and simple on TNG where people can easily get in touch with each other without either a big terminal conveniently nearby, or even needing an extra device. (That's why Nia's always bitching about wanting a hands-free method of communication. )

It would be funny if our PCs happen to be the only ones obsessed with keeping their devices handy. Maybe Kylah's hapless experiences have made everyone aware of the benefits of constant contact.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If anyone is a poster child for the ALWAYS KEEP YOUR COMMUNICATOR WITH YOU campaign, it's our favorite Elasian.

Registered
    Sep 2009

On a family trip now - may be able to check in only intermittently.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I hope it's a pleasure trip, EH, and that you and fam have a happy, healthy time! (If it's for something less joyful, here's hoping everything turns out well.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. We're visiting Boston so our youngest son can finally see the Northeastern U. campus where he'll begin his freshman year this fall, and then to Vermont for a family visit and then the wedding of my wife's niece. So far, so good, although very hot in Boston today.

Registered
    May 2013

Thanks. We're visiting Boston so our youngest son can finally see the Northeastern U. campus where he'll begin his freshman year this fall, and then to Vermont for a family visit and then the wedding of my wife's niece. So far, so good, although very hot in Boston today.
    Good choice of school. Climate aside, love Boston
    Last edited by general_urko; 30 May 2021 at 07:57 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, we do too!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Wait wait wait, hold the phone (no pun intended). Re this:

Rangin does not answer the Sidonian officer's call from his quarters or his Science duty station. She (or Thalen) could try his communicator, or page him shipwide.
    I think I grossly overestimated my admittedly paltry knowledge of Kirk-era Treknology. So a hail sent to a crew member doesn't go to their communicator as a matter of course? This seems like new protocol to me, or at least, I don't recall any PC or NPC saying (for example) "Bridge to Lt. T'Var's communicator" or whatever the proper lingo would be. Have we seen this before?

Well, regardless of my ignorance, it is what it is, as some bozo once said. So this being the case: what is the correct order? (Nia would know it even if I don't.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

I can't recall a ST:TOS episode where someone aboard ship was contacted via his or her communicator - except for "Mirror, Mirror," I suppose, where Kirk & Co. were trying to be all sneaky-like. I might've forgotten such an incident, though. Calling someone using the ship's intercom seems to open a channel to the person's quarters (as with Kirk sitting at the desk in his quarters, talking to Spock or someone else on the Bridge) or their duty station (as with Scotty in Engineering, or McCoy in Sickbay, etc.). Onn can simply tell Thalen, "Get me Mr. Rangin" or "Have Mr. Rangin report to the Bridge on the double," and then leave it to the Communications Officer to track him down.

What do you think, general and Rangin?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well, they're silent, so Nia just passed the buck.

BTW it's funny that my initial RPG missions have both used zombies! (Or, effectively zombies.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just your luck, I guess!

Registered
    May 2013

Sorry for delayed response...I find the TOS communicator thing hard to parse. It seems as if folks mostly did not carry communicators on the ship (?) and used fixed comms consoles.

This would comport with the mindset of the era where there were payphones everywhere. (Fun fact: a big study of police 911 response times in the pre-cellphone era found no statistically significant impact from "lack of access to a phone" to report crimes...payphones really were everywhere!).

I kinda think that the "not carrying" or "not using" a communicator onboard is super weird, though - what pain the ***.

I'd be down with assuming people at least sometimes, if not always, carry one and they are used onship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Interesting point, general; I hadn't thought of the analogy to omnipresent payphones in the mid-Sixties, but that makes sense.

I could have the Captain issue a standing order that communicators are to be carried at all times aboard ship, or you could just let me know here in the setup thread what your character(s) typically do.

Registered
    May 2013

I feel like Graham would typically carry his communicator, unless he was trying to be "offline" (for example - working out in the gym).

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm probably more OCD about being able to contact others for help, but I feel like other than the medical team, the security officers would be the group who'd be most likely required to be in contact 24/7. (Or 2400/?? Not sure if they go by a 7-day week anymore. Huh, I never thought of that till now.) Then again the redshirts are plentiful so there's probably enough to go around.

As for the ladies, Nia would probably keep hers at hand, if only because she'd want to be in touch with Sickbay in the (unlikely) possibility of her needing a Bilitrium refill. Also she'd want to be the first person contacted if there's a need for a shuttle pilot.

And, even though it's Nia who's expressed in-game her frustration with not having both hands free when using a communicator... I'm guessing Kylah will be credited for coming up with the idea of wearable comm badges. Although her first brainstorm would be frickin' subcutaneous implants.
    Last edited by choie; 15 Jun 2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Someday I'll remember "sickbay" is one word.... But that day is not today.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, she is in Communications, so that seems reasonable....

It sounds like all current PCs will have their communicators with them while aboard ship, so I'll bear that in mind going forward. Thanks, all.

Registered
    Mar 2012

No, thank you, EH!

Well, she is in Communications, so that seems reasonable....
    That and her utter inability to keep track of them. If Future Kylah's not the patent-holder of the comm-badge idea, she should certainly be cited as the prime example of their necessity!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. There'll probably be a picture of her in the instruction manual issued to all Starfleet recruits.

Registered
    Apr 2015

FYI just waiting on an answer from our Coridanite pal before Nia responds. Please stand by.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Trivia connected to the Tina plot: When I was 5, my family visited the UK via a transatlantic cruise on the Queen Elizabeth II. One day my sister (2 years older) and I were watching some dance rehearsal in the ballroom and she wanted to leave before I did. I said our mom had told us to stay where we were. Big sister was like, well, I'm going anyway and just frickin' left.

I stayed for about five anxious minutes, then got too panicky and tried to find my way back to our cabin, with no success. Got lost and wandered into a ritzy gift shop--I can still remember this amazingly crafted doll/statue/figurine of the real Queen on sale for some exorbitant cost.

Anyway, as Nia suggested here, the shop's salesperson contacted whoever would be in charge of such things and soon I heard a shipwide announcement about my having been found. The employees were so kind and friendly to me, they helped calm me down. Soon my terrified mom caught up with me. (Turned out I wasn't as far from our cabin as I'd thought.)

I've forgotten if Mom got angry with me or with my sister. Of course she was the one who trusted a 7-year-old kid to watch over a 5 year old, so, that one was on her, heh. But I still use the incident to give my sister a guilt-trip now and then.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As the baby sister, I'd say you're fully entitled to.

Registered
    Apr 2015

EH - N.B. re Nia's paraphrased questions in her last paragraph: if you want to move forward without actual answers that's fine, they're basically just me making it clear Nia's forcefully keeping up the banter with her crewmates.

(You probably remember this but the Tesla is the experimental "test-bed" shuttle Nia's been working on w/the engineers on the side. At least I'm pretty sure it was the Tesla.)

+ Reply to thread