+ Reply to thread
Page 100 of 112 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 5,000 of 5592

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for letting us know. Hope you have a great time!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Buen viaje, General!

Quick question re: the hailing thing. Nia wasn't so much looking for Bell or anyone to answer, but she wanted to broadcast a warning regardless of whether they respond. Is that what "opening a channel" can do, or is there some other terminology I forget?

Registered
    Sep 2009

In context, I thought she was just hailing the other ship, that is, sending a simple interrogative, like "This is the USS Yorktown. Come in, Sarafina." Opening a channel seems to be synonymous with that in Kirk's era. If you want to send a warning, please specify what Kylah says, since that would be out of the ordinary.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Oh--sorry I was unclear, it's Nia who'll be talking. I suppose I could've just had Nia say "Kylah, open a channel. Attention asshats over yonder..." etc., but I figured I'd better not assume Kylah would be successful just in case the Sarafina had blocked transmissions or whatever, so I was just waiting for a confirmation.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Got it - sorry I misunderstood.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hi everyone. I'm very sorry to have been gone so long. My Aunt had a stroke last week and passed away Wednesday. It’s been pretty rough. But I'll try and catch up.

Re: Kylah and the almost amusingly relentless barrage of hails (well it would be amusing if these poor people weren't so desperate)... is she able to contact Thalen from this distance? And if not, who would be the ranking officer next to him, Communicationswise?

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

choie, so sorry...deepest sympathies.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks so much, general_urko. I really appreciate it. Passover was very different from expected. I am glad to be home again with stuff to distract me. Like this game... I'm very grateful for this and all you guys. Thanks all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My heartfelt condolences, too, choie. Hope you're bearing up OK.

Thalen is still aboard the Yorktown. He did not beam down with the Captain; see post 1361. Kylah can refer any or all of the subspace barrage to the Communications Center belowdecks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll be out of town and offline Friday through Sunday.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Egregiously belated thanks for your kind support, Elendil's Heir. Somehow I missed it until now. Also I appreciate the reminder about Thalen. I think I misunderstood the fact that Singh and Thalen left the conference room at the same time as meaning that he was accompanying her planetside. Although IIRC Kylah spoke to him later so... who knows what I was thinking.

I hope your time offline will be doing something enjoyable, EH.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, thanks, I'll be in NYC visiting a high school chum and his family, and going to, among other things, a big exhibit of Tolkien's manuscripts and illustrations at the Morgan Library - the biggest exhibit of its kind in the US to date: https://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/tolkien

Registered
    Mar 2012

Wow, that sounds tailor made for you! How was the exhibit? The Morgan Library is so beautiful, a real treasure. Hope you had a good time--although sorry our weather was pretty craptastic this weekend.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The exhibit was overcrowded (too many people let into too small a series of rooms) but very interesting. Great to see so many things by Tolkien in his own hand, including Middle-earth maps, manuscripts, paintings and drawings. We also went to the Guggenheim, MOMA, Fort Greene Park, Union Square, Grant's Tomb, Riverside Church and Washington Square, among other places. It was a fun weekend.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Holy cow, you've seen more of NYC than I have. That sounds amazing, and also, great selections on what to see. Looks like you stayed mostly downtown--is that because there are more Revolutionary War/historic sites down there? The closest you were to me would've been MOMA, which like me is in midtown (the 50s), but I'm on the East Side. The only interesting site near me is Bloomingdale's. Oh wait... no, that's not true... there's this tiny stone house called the Mount Vernon Inn & Museum, which used to be owned by Abigail Adams Smith (John & Abigail's daughter) and her hubby, Col. William Smith. That's just around the corner from me. Very strange to have something that authentically historic among the usual NYC landscape.

Too bad the Tolkien exhibit was so crowded but I guess that's to be expected. (Have you seen the film? I don't have a good feeling about it, although I really know very little about his life aside from the major biographical bullet points.)

BTW, gamewise: nice touch in making Ruth Shuddupayouface such a likeable person whom Kylah would naturally want to risk her future for. Extra points for "your father" -- could not have chosen a better twist of the knife!
    Last edited by choie; 16 May 2019 at 03:56 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I wasn't purposefully trying to pick stuff downtown, just places that interested me and my high school pal, who's also a bigtime history nerd. He's a longtime NYC resident and there were some things he hadn't seen before, either.

Haven't seen the new Tolkien biopic, but I hope to soon. The reviews, I see, have been so-so.

Remember that Ruth Whatchamacallit is (a) a high-powered, wealthy corporate exec with (b) a strong sense of entitlement who (c) is scared out of her wits and (d) has been kept on hold for rather a long time by the younger and (as she sees it) relatively insignificant person she's been told will be saving her sorry ass. So, no, she's maybe not going to be especially warm and fuzzy.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ha! True, Kylah was expecting Ruth Sirnotincludedinthisfilm to be frightened and was ready to be sympathetic, but since Aldaan had claimed she was a close associate--and possibly the only person who could guarantee her survival--I/Kylah assumed the lady would at least knew whom she's talking to. But hey, Kylah's gonna play her part and not give her any lip.

Now, if Nia were in Kylah's position, you can bet dollars to donuts she'd make Ruthie sweat. A lot.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As well she should!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Darn tootin'. Okay, new pragmatic question I never really thought of before. I had Nia's stomach growl mainly because I wanted her thinking of food, and therefore Ajay. (I'll do anything to create a rational motivation!)

But it makes me wonder--in a situation like this, when the crew are all extremely busy and the Bridge gang in particular are all probably best left in-place since you don't want to change horses midstream, what exactly do they do to tide them over when working through mealtimes? Does the Mess deliver, or does each ship have its own Uber Eats? No, but seriously, is there some replicator near the Bridge where they can get coffee or whatever?

Not that I've ever seen food directly on a Bridge before, and spilled coffee on a panel probably wouldn't be a good idea, but if there's a niche for a replicator somewhere (similar to the legendary head that must also be somewhere nearby), would a five-minute chowdown of a protein bar by a replicator be okay? Or maybe there are supplies on hand for just such an occasion?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Good question. On TOS a yeoman from time to time brought coffee to the Bridge, but I don't remember ever seeing Kirk et al. munch anything there. Certainly there's plenty of precedent in Earth navies for food to be brought to Bridge watch-standers, though. There's no replicator on the Bridge, and no food of any kind is actually kept there. But if Onn wants to order a plate of sandwiches or whatever (nothing TOO messy) brought up, that would be fine.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 May 2019 at 11:44 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Good question. On TOS a yeoman from time to time brought coffee to the Bridge, but I don't remember ever seeing Kirk et al. munch anything there. Certainly there's plenty of precedent in Earth navies for food to be brought to Bridge watch-standers, though. There's no replicator on the Bridge, and no food of any kind is actually kept there. But if Onn wants to order a plate of sandwiches or whatever (nothing TOO messy) brought up, that would be fine.
    Onn requests platters of king crab, corn on the cob, and heavily sauced ribs to the Bridge...

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, no, no. A full lobster, obviously, with a plastic bib in Command yellow, and a handsome yeoman to hold the drawn butter for her.

Registered
    May 2013

Kudos Rangin, post 1564 is killer!

Registered
    Mar 2012

I've passed your compliment along, general_urko! I agree, the ex-CIAS is doing a yeoman's job (well... that's not a great expression in Starfleet, I suppose) at working away at this problem and explaining his rationale.

Meanwhile, here's some fun: I don't know if any of you watch Youtube channels, and specifically the "LegalEagle" channel, where an attorney goes through highly notable current events dealing with the law (of which there are rather a lot, lately!) and analyzes them or clarifies them for people who aren't experts.

He also has fun episodes where he takes a look at various legal issues shown in pop culture and whether they're legally accurate, or at least reasonably so. His tastes are eclectic, and thus far I've seen him analyze the infamous State of New York vs. Kris Kringle case from Miracle on 34th Street to (which I've never seen, but have often read it referred to as surprisingly realistic as far as legal stuff goes) to Game of Thrones's trial of Tyrion, and various other trials, hearings, or legal points.

To drag this to relevancy: Here he is, analyzing one of the best (IMHO) episodes of ST:TNG, . I'm only about halfway through and am enjoying it a lot. He obviously enjoys the show and his commentary is both informative and funny.

Watching the clips he includes, I now have a jones to go back and watch TNG again, which I haven't done in ages. Such a good show!

Anyway I'm interested to hear what you guys think.
    Last edited by choie; 26 May 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, choie! Just watched it.

I agree with the lawyer that all those questions about Data's sentience and right to self-determination would surely have been resolved when he first applied to Starfleet Academy and was commissioned as a Starfleet officer (you don't have mere toasters take classes, wear uniforms and swear oaths, after all). The reference to Dred Scott was right on the mark. The slam against Data's uniform was gratuitous (they're all wearing those uniforms), but funny, given that a clothing company is sponsoring the YouTube channel. I liked the pun about "the weight of the evidence" for the metal bar that Data is asked to bend to show his freakish strength. I agreed with most of the lawyer's comments about the hearing's procedural issues, except for his comment on judicial minimalism - a lawyer would certainly be within his or her rights to argue that the court's decision in a particular case would have consequences well beyond that courtroom, and to point them out.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Very interesting! So cool to hear your analysis. It's odd but I never thought of Data being in the Academy. I can't imagine taking classes with him... talk about intimidating.

Such a fascinating episode. Years later, the moment when Riker takes off Data's arm and whispers an apology always gets to me.

One of the funniest analyses he does is which I've never seen--it's one of the 8,000 Shonda Rhimes shows, and I'm aware I probably misspelled her name. From the pilot he watches, it sounds almost exactly like the same premise as House--"Cranky, wildly inappropriate genius treats people with barely disguised contempt but is tolerated because damn, s/he gets the job done!"

All the hilariously off-the-mark depictions of law school and legal procedures are obvious even to me. At one point Viola Davis's character brings law students into a meeting with a client. (Which is so incredibly reminiscent of House--although at least taking students with you on rounds is a real thing!--that it makes me really think Shonda Rimes just took a few old House scripts and painted over the medical stuff with legal stuff.) Anyway you might like that one too.

The slam against Data's uniform was gratuitous (they're all wearing those uniforms), but funny, given that a clothing company is sponsoring the YouTube channel.
    Heh, yep, I think that was purposeful--from the videos I've seen that are sponsored, he always tries to make a bad pun or reference that he can use as a way to lead in to the sponsor deal. iI might be forgetting the exact episode, but I think it's the Kavenaugh/Ford hearing, where--after talking about whether Kavenaugh's conspiracy tantrums showed judicial temperament--he transitions using something like, "He might've done well to take a class on public speaking or making a good impression on job interviews...such as the ones available on Skillshare.com..."

Anyway it's fun! Thank you for adding your own perspective! Of course I kept thinking "Isn't it possible that the laws have changed, given this is a) a newly formed Federation involving multiple civilizations, and b) the 24th Century?" But it's more fun to compare it to real law!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, particular details of the law and legal procedure certainly will have changed by Picard's time (let alone Kirk's), but the Federation's legal system does seem largely based on the (mostly) time-honored traditions of Anglo-American law: individual rights, constitutional government, adversarial hearings, an independent judiciary, the rule of law, etc.

Registered
    Apr 2015

(...)Telperion hardwood on pallets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Trees_of_Valinor
    Ha, trust you to sneak in a Tolkien reference. Ooh hey, reading up on Telperion, it's a coincidence that Kylah's family house is called "House of the Silver Weeping Tree." maybe it's Telperion too.

(To be honest I really have no idea how, or why, I came up with that formal naming style. I'm pretty sure Elasians in TOS, at least in Elaan of Troyius, had no last names--which always bugs me about Trek aliens. Spock, Quark, Garak... wow they do like names ending in 'K' don't they?... are these planets so small that no one will repeat the same name twice to confuse things? At least Betazoids, Bajorans and Klingons have patronymic formal names that helps people understand that, for example, Worf, Son of Mogh, is a different guy from Worf, Son of Fred.)

Anyway. Cool reference, is the point.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 28 May 2019 at 02:01 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. I do like a bit of a backstory to my names - people, stars, planets and ships - now and then.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I was in Washington today, and visited this American Revolution exhibit, which focused on Washington, Rochambeau, Lafayette and Cornwallis at Yorktown: https://americanhistory.si.edu/exhib...tion-world-war

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh wow, that looks great and right up your alley. Were you in DC just the one day?

Do you know, though, due to Hamilton, I just can't see Washington and Lafayette as white. Also, Lafayette bears a striking resemblance to Jefferson.
    Last edited by choie; 12 Jun 2019 at 10:46 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

We were in College Park, Md., actually, for five days, but made several day trips into Washington.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey guys. I'm so sorry for the delay. I've been going through a round of medical tests because something suspicious turned up, and my brain's been in a panic zone for the last week. Sort of in the 'let's wait and see' phase now, so I'm hoping this will work out better than I've been imagining. Anyway feel free to give Team Choie a warning for delay-of-game. (That's a basketball/football thing, right?)

Registered
    Sep 2009

No warning necessary, choie, and hope you get good news on the medical front soon!

Just learned there's a possible Yorktown connection to the game Rock, Paper, Scissors: https://www.straightdope.com/columns...aper-scissors/

Registered
    May 2013

You've been such a prolific and creative writer, choie...speaking for myself I'd feel like a fool to throw shade if you were a bit slower than usual for any reason whatsoever!

Very best wishes and fingers crossed.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh my goodness, that's such a very kind thing to say. Thanks to both of you for the good wishes and your generosity. Seeing a surgeon on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have some idea of what I'm dealing with. If you can stand it, general_urko, please keep those fingers crossed! (You can uncross them if you get a cramp...)
    Last edited by choie; 28 Jun 2019 at 04:51 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Aw, Snoopy even wags his tail - very nice!

All the best, choie!

Registered
    Apr 2015

(Too lazy to change screennames...) Thank you, EH. And ha, I didn't even notice the tail!

Okay I know we almost literally just discussed this, either in PMs or here, but I've forgotten: with no ready room or apparent office nearby, where would a Constitution-class ship have some private space for the captain to have, well, private, off-the-record discussions? I know the Enterprise didn't have one in TOS, but... we've already added text messages to our communicators, so clearly in the three months since the end of TOS there's been some tech upgrading. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.Eh, worse comes to worst I suppose they could just go up and down the Turbolift a few times.

Re: the latest developments... I love that Rangin is being tempted like this! Also, general_urko, Graham really knocked me for a loop with his 'unprofessional' thoughts, gestures and words. It makes perfect sense for his character and what he's been bottling up. My own surprise is reflected in Nia's post--although she's much less pleased than I am. Very nicely done. And at last Nia's going to learn what Booker's been dealing with.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain's office is one deck below the Bridge, accessible from the stairs that go down from the service corridor that surrounds the Bridge (there's a bathroom off the corridor, too). As BCDO and with the Captain off the ship Onn could use the office, if she wishes, or simply step out into the service corridor with whomever she wishes for a chat. And yes, a short turbolift ride is also an option, as you say.

Here's the Franz Joseph Designs schematic of the Bridge; sorry I couldn't find a better one online: https://jerz.setonhill.edu/blog/2016...ulture/bridge/

Registered
    Apr 2015

Thank you, that's helpful! I vaguely remember you having shown that image before, so my apologies for making you search twice.

I can't tell, but it looks to me as if helm/nav are behind the Captain's chair. Are they? If so I've been envisioning (and writing) it wrong all this time. Also: yay, there is an actual toilet!

Now that they're in a turbolift (I shouldn't have entered it before getting the answer to my question. My bad!) I suppose the captain's office is out? From your description it seems that it's only accessible via the stairs, correct?
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 02 Jul 2019 at 06:10 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, the shared Helm and Nav console is just forward of the Captain's chair, with the main viewscreen on the bulkhead beyond them. Like so: http://www.kethinov.com/images/startrek/TOS3x13n.png

The toilet (or head, in naval parlance) was never mentioned or shown in TOS, but it makes sense to have one nearby. You'll notice the door out to the service corridor doesn't appear in the picture above, either, but on the Yorktown, at least, it's there.

Onn and Graham could still go to the Captain's Office. Just say "Deck 2, Captain's Office," and the turbolift will take you to the nearest access point.

Registered
    May 2013

Hi all - just an FYI, I'm on vacation (my Mom always wanted to see Alaska, so we're doing a family cruise!). All things considered this is likely a net positive for posting frequency, but if there's a weird gap it's due to transit or an internet access dead zone - but I'll be back as soon as possible!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for the heads-up, general. We did the Inside Passage cruise almost 20 years ago and really enjoyed it. Hope you don't have to evacuate any mining colonies along the way....

Registered
    Apr 2015

Ooh that sounds fantastic, g_u! That's on my bucket list for sure. How wonderful that you can take your mom on such a lovely adventure.

I'm kinda fascinated by cruises so when you return I'd love to hear about your experience with the ship, its facilities, any excursions, and so on. Bon voyage!

Registered
    May 2013

Hi all...we did lose Internet for a day but we're back online!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Welcome back, general! Hope you're having a great time.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Still hoping for photos, general!

EH--probably obvious, since you don't mention the person who's been beamed up, but to confirm: Singh isn't on the Bridge yet, right?

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, she is not. You'd know it if she were!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Ooh. Intriguing response. Thank you, just wanted to make sure Nia doesn't have to depart the chair immediately.

Registered
    May 2013

Hi all, FYI we're really back (home, that is). I'll post some photos / info for the any interested this weekend. Apologies for any delays in responses over the past two weeks!

+ Reply to thread