+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    I cannot recall if TOS's computer was programmed to repsond to "Computer, locate Person"
    No.

As to Lt. Shaw's dress, Memory Alpha says it's the women's dress uniform of that era, but I'd think that would have just as much gold braid on it as Spock's does in that picture. To me it really does look like just a longer, less revealing version of the women's standard TOS uniform. I actually rather like it.

Here's a front view: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../AreelShaw.jpg
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 15 Oct 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

I wasn't really sure, either, anyrose. Which is why I had T'Var suggest security look into it. If Roble isn't responding to a call from the Bridge, something must be amiss. The plot doth thicken....

Registered
    Mar 2009

What is the protocol in this situation, since they are already on a patrol? Does Pourtash have the authority to change course?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    What is the protocol in this situation, since they are already on a patrol? Does Pourtash have the authority to change course?
    That's certainly something the characters may wish to discuss. I'll provide a game-definitive answer if necessary.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just finished this book, about the 1942 naval Battle of Midway and the 1998 Dr. Robert Ballard-led search for the sunken aircraft carrier USS Yorktown. Good text and even better pictures: http://www.amazon.com/Return-Midway-...8799841&sr=1-1

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sounds interesting. I still think Midway was the most important battle in WWII for the US but then I am prejudiced in favor of the USN clearly. I can see the arguments for some land battles in Europe, especially if D-Day is considered 1 battle.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Descendants of our erstwhile young engineer?: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Delaney_sisters

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Pourtash
    "Collins, you last served aboard the Enterprise, correct? Were you there during the alleged suicide attack by an Orion ship on the way to the Babel conference last year? Would you have any insight?"
    I suppose I should go watch that episode on Hulu.com to refresh my memory before Collins answers - Way to set me up, there, Zuul.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey, Collins could be instrumental here. Pourtash isn't going to give away any advantage he could get.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Descendants of our erstwhile young engineer?: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Delaney_sisters
    Funny, I picked the name as a Delaney was the senior enginering officer that kept the Yorktown afloat overnight at Midway. IIRC

ETA: I went Googling and found more on John Delaney, after winning the silver star he eventually went on to the rank of Rear Admiral. Pretty good. He was a Lieutenant Commander when serving on the USS Yorktown, CV-5.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 20 Oct 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nice to see he later got his own ship! He's mentioned just once, in passing, in the Ballard book.

anyrose, does this help?:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Jour...abel_(episode)
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Orion_scout_ship
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Jul 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

thank you, Elendil's Heir. I'll post after I've read those two pages - please be patient, though, I've got things to do for my chorus that are taking priority right now

Registered
    Sep 2009

Developing tractor beams of a sort. Be sure to read the last two paragraphs: http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011...am/?&hpt=hp_c2

Registered
    Sep 2009

Did Collins actually appear on ST:TOS? Unnamed red-dressed female personnel start about halfway down this page: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unna...701)_personnel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, that was before she dyed her hair to better fit her personality.

Registered
    Sep 2009

So... any of those pictures of anonymous Enterprise officers in red dresses fit your mental image of Collins?

Registered
    Feb 2009

This one seems close, but with a shorter nose and shorter hair.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ah, thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2009

This would make any Starfleet mother proud.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This would make any Starfleet mother proud.
    ::shudder::

Registered
    Mar 2009

Do you share my revulsion of those "reborn" dolls?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Do you share my revulsion of those "reborn" dolls?
    I have no clue what a "reborn" doll is, but that was just plain wrong. Do I dare ask what "reborn" dolls are? I thought the doll just had something to do with Star Trek III when Spock was reborn.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Reborns are where they take a normal baby doll and do...that to it. They paint it in a realistic way, add hair, etc. It usually looks somewhat like a dead, slightly deformed baby.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Registered
    Sep 2009

I tell you, it's a lot easier being stunt coordinator for a written RPG.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Wishing everybody a very Happy Thanksgiving. Have a safe one.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Seconded! One of the things I'm thankful for is having such good players in this game.

Registered
    Sep 2009

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Class_F_shuttlecraft

In the game thread, What Exit? asks about the maximum speed of the Yorktown's shuttles. The ship carries several of these small Class-F spacecraft, the max speed of which was never established on ST:TOS. They have what look like small warp nacelles, and it was pretty clear that they weren't limited to sublight speeds, as they were used for relatively long distances between the Enterprise and other planets or starbases (and Kirk chased the Enterprise in one in "The Menagerie").

I'm open to suggestions. How fast would it be reasonable for them to go? We know that Constitution-class starships in good repair can cruise at Warp 6 indefinitely, and at Warp 8 in emergencies. Based on the "Menagerie" precedent the shuttles would, I think, be quite a bit slower than that.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Nov 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I found this: "As of Star Trek: Voyager, advanced shuttles are capable of speeds of up to Warp 4" thus I think I am out of luck as far as a shuttle faster then the Yorktown.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Warp was on a different scale in Voyager than in TOS, though. In the later series, Warp 10 was a hard limit, while TOS ships exceeded it. The way this was explained was that the scale had been changed. Warp 4 in Voyager would not be Warp 4 in TOS.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Following a naval analogy, bigger ships will almost always be faster than smaller ones.

Registered
    Sep 2009

OK, thanks. I'll specify in the game thread: Warp 2 cruising and Warp 4 emergency speed, which seems reasonable to me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's something interesting. Nichelle Nichols first read for the part of Spock:

Nichols recalls the day she was interviewed for this new television series called “Star Trek.”

“They gave me a three-page script to read from that had three characters named Bones, Kirk and somebody called Spock, and they asked me if I would read for the role of Spock. When I looked at this great text, I said to myself, ‘I’ll take any one of these roles,’ but I found the Spock character to be very interesting, and I asked them to tell me what she [Spock] was like.
    Spock had originally been planned as a female Vulcan science officer, with a human female first officer as a separate character. My, that would have changed things!

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's the first I've ever heard of that. Color me... skeptical.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, she said it in an interview, so Nichols makes the claim, at any rate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've read an awful lot about the creation of ST over the years and have never, ever read that anywhere. So yes, I'm a bit doubtful.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It could be that they had her read it because they needed someone else for the scene and lacked another male actor and the character had not been intended as female, with the article writer mistaking her description. Majel Barrett-Roddenberry can be seen playing Number One in "The Cage" and "The Menagerie", though.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That seems more likely to me, but even so, in as many convention appearances as Nichols has made over the years, it's odd that she's never (to my knowledge) mentioned this little factoid before.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Very strange, considering that Spock (and the female Number One) were in the first pilot, and Kirk, McCoy, Scott, Sulu and Uhura were not... and this has never IME been so much as rumoured in the last 45 years.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's too bad the interview was with HuffPo and not with an organization who would have recorded video of it. I imagine being able to actually see the interview would have made the context and full story a bit more clear.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, quite, the actual cite seems to lack a certain ring of authenticity. My point is that there never was a time when Kirk, Spock and McCoy were all being cast - for Spock was an established character from the first pilot, and by the time they were casting Kirk and McCoy, they already had a Spock.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I've looked at the article where the quote originally comes from and HuffPo does claim it really comes from their interview with her. I don't think they'd lie exactly, but you're right. It doesn't seem to match the facts at all.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Looking up the development information on Uhura, Nichols was introduced to Herb Solow and Robert Justman by Roddenbery for the express purpose of playing a female communications officer. It seems doubtful that she would have auditioned for any other roles in that light, regardless of when they were created or cast.

Unfortunately the story is being spread now by people as credulous as me. We'll see if Huffington Post ever retracts it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I just turned down an invite to add the HuffPost app to my facebook page. Each time I read one of their articles, I walk around with a face for the next several hours.
    Last edited by anyrose; 03 Dec 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, this certainly does call their credibility into question, doesn't it?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I find HuffPo usually credible on political stuff (although slanted, even if in my political direction), but don't have much experience with their other content.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I wrote to the interviewer and he says the quote is accurate, though I pointed out what Malacandra had noted about Spock:

In the world of casting interviews and auditions and issues of what actors may be better suited for certain types of characters, etc., why wouldn't it have been possible that the three-page "audition" script handed to Nichelle Nichols by studio execs had lines from the three characters that she says it did: Bones, Kirk and Spock... if she had seen something in those three pages that referred to a MR. Spock, then why would she have asked the execs to explain what "she" (Spock) was like?

Isn't it possible that they simply wanted her to read certain lines to see how she would handle specifically-written characters? I have no problem with that process, regardless of whether or not Nimoy had already been cast. They still could've simply wanted to see how she was as an actress.

I don't think Nichelle lied to me when she told me this story, or that she somehow mis-recalled the facts of her audition. I trust that it happened as she said it did, and she was subsequently given the part of the communications officer, whose name resulted from the book, "Uhuru," that she had brought with her to the audition. As far as I'm concerned, it's an interesting story, a good part of the overall "Star Trek" lore, and case closed.
    So...I suppose she read for a character already cast and the interviewer didn't ask follow up questions to clarify the story, thus leaving us with a misleading (but apparently truthful) quote.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I question the interviewer's knowledge of naval (and by extension, Starfleet) nomincature. Everyone, regardless of gender or species is addressed as Mister, unless they are a commissioned officer - and even then, officers are sometimes addressed as Mister by their superior officers.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I thought of that, too, anyrose. It didn't seem worth it to correct him, though, so I just thanked him for his time.

ETA: In my letter I'd referred to the descriptions of "Mr. Spock" from production notes (in which that was used as the character's name and he was described as male), so he may have thought I was referring to the "Mr." part itself as identifying him as male, rather than the notes themselves. So continuing down that avenue seemed potentially nitpicky and annoying, for someone who probably isn't a Trekkie.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I suspect you're right. But many thanks for looking into it more deeply! Quite interesting.

+ Reply to thread