+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If Cooper is in or near the Gym (I don't know why he would be, but Jeremi does not remember in which department he works) they chat, she flirts, almost hamelessly. If he's not there, she gives herself a tour of the other recreational facilities, then returns 'home'.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    If Cooper is in or near the Gym (I don't know why he would be, but Jeremi does not remember in which department he works) they chat, she flirts, almost [s]hamelessly. If he's not there, she gives herself a tour of the other recreational facilities, then returns 'home'.
    OK, thanks. A post like this should go in the game thread, as it directly states what your character would do depending on this or that circumstance.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My family and I will be on the road for the better part of the next two days. I hope to post soon after that.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I hope it's a fun trip and not the other kind.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, it's been fun so far. We're at a hotel tonight in western Maryland, returning from almost a week on the beaches of the Outer Banks, N.C. Should be home by tomorrow afternoon. All the best to all of you.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A thread that may be of interest, on ST's greatest villains: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=574874

Registered
    Jan 2010

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    CIRDAN FLEET YARDS
    Nice touch.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Pleonast View post
    Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir
    CIRDAN FLEET YARDS
    Nice touch.
    Indeed!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. In an earlier ST writing club I ran in which both ds9writer and WES participated, I referred to our ship having a shakedown cruise to Cirdan. Someday I'll have to write a short profile of the Tolkien-obsessed Starfleet stellar cartographer who bestowed Middle-earth-related names on so many worlds....

Registered
    Mar 2009

WES is having some problems logging into the site since the upgrade. I'm trying to figure out what the issue is with her.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, Zuul!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

WES here!

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help as this online newbie does her best to participate.

A very special thank you to Zuul and Elendil's Heir for going above and beyond the call of duty on my behalf.

Registered
    Sep 2009

More on the Saurians: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Saurian_(species). Be sure to scroll all the way down.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Aug 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

wait a tick - I'm confused now. We're having First Contact with this planet, yes? Then how the heck do we already have Saurian Brandy in our stores?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Other Saurians. Scotty used Saurian Brandy to drink the Andromedan under the table in one Episode TOS.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Right - I remember "It's . . . green."
    How can there be two completely different races/species called the same thing?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Saurians means a group of Aliens of Reptilian type. Gorns are a type of Saurian as an example.
    Vulcans, Humans and even Klingons are Humanoid types.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. These aliens are very similar to the Saurians, which are Federation members; just how similar is yet to be discovered.

Registered
    Jan 2010

More on the Saurians: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Saurian_(species). Be sure to scroll all the way down.
    I didn't see anything by scrolling down. It's a very short page.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I didn't see anything by scrolling down. It's a very short page.
    I thought this might be the part that pertained to us.

"These were a lizard-like people who were very intelligent and made excellent officers. They had the unusual ability to breathe several different gases, which made them useful members of landing parties. They were also very strong and had four hearts."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ah! d'oh! Saurian. Lizard-like. as in dinoSAUR.

I'm going to crawl back into my hole, now

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins' eagerness may get her seriously injured one day. She completely forgot the whole tri-ox compound discussion.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Following along. I'll assume nothing of interest happens on the bridge.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You'll be (one of) the first to know!

Registered
    Jan 2010

I assume someone is monitoring the communication channels of the Banij ship and that it's not the job of a science officer to do that.

I'll be on vacation starting Sep 11 until about Oct 4. I'll have internet access, but my time may be limited. (I assume What Exit? will read this, so I won't bother to crosspost into the Middle Earth setup thread.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yep, have fun on your vacation. If you could leave some general standing orders for your characters here and in the ME game.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Thalen back on the Yorktown would still be monitoriing Banij communications.

Enjoy your vacation - hope you'll still be able to post now and then.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I was idly thinking about the Yorktown's rec facilities... we know there's a gym and a pool, and changing rooms. What else do you think they ought to have? I was thinking:

* sauna
    * weights/running machines room
    * squash court
    * running track (maybe around the gym)
    * two or three spare rooms that could be configured for martial arts, fencing, yoga, dance, etc.

Anything that shouldn't be on the list above, or anything else to add?

Registered
    Feb 2009

There's a pool? I don't recall that. Where is that from?

According to TAS there was a Holodeck on the Enterprise. I would say an early one and limited but you might want to include said. (Though I hate those episodes in the later shows)

Could we play some odd games with artificial gravity and have the running track literally be around the gym as in running on a track that is the walls?

We know they had several rec rooms for cards, chess and etc.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The pool is shown in the Pocket Books Constitution-class blueprints I had back in the Seventies; it's mentioned in the deck-by-deck description of the ship that was posted here earlier. Doesn't seem like too much of an extravagance, given the size of the ship and the longtime popularity and health benefits of swimming. Hmm, I don't think I want to have a Holodeck, notwithstanding its TAS appearance; just seems too high-tech for the era. I also doubt a running track on the walls would be the best use of ship's resources or artificial gravity (you were thinking of Poole jogging in 2001: A Space Odyssey, weren't you?). And yes, there are scattered rec rooms here and there aboard.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09 Sep 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually I wasn't thinking Space Odyssey. I used to jog at an indoor track around a pool on a elevated and ramped platform. It seemed like the next logical step to use Gravatics to just make it a loop.

I'm glad the pool was in the book and not the series. I was afraid I was slipping.

Registered
    Jan 2010

What, we don't have exercise pills yet?

There should rec areas that are reserved for non-exercise activities. Tables for board games (chess, go, Settlers of Catan), a stage for performances (acting, poetry, music), areas for medium-based arts (painting, sculpture, model-building). There should also be a variety of miscellaneous recreational activities--cultural events, inter-department mixers, comet-watching, etc.

Registered
    Sep 2009

All good points. There was a stage on the Enterprise (shown in TOS "The Conscience of the King") which I assume was a re-dress of the ship's auditorium. Will people still be playing Settlers of Catan three hundred-plus years from now? Hmmm. But arts and crafts, definitely. As for the other rec activities, in future missions I'll refer to the Lyceum, the crew's cultural and arts organization. Kind of like a shipboard Chautauqua.

Registered
    Jan 2010

The homeworld also has several dozen artificial satellites.
    That seems low to me. I think Earth currently has several hundred satellites. Should Fujishiro take this number to be remarkable or expected?
    Quote Originally posted by ds9writer View post
    my knowledge would be more complete if you would allow me to take a few tissue samples from you -- it will not be invasive, and will be completely painless...
    How is it possible to take a tissue sample noninvasively? Unless you're going to peel off some skin. :queasy:

Registered
    Sep 2009

That seems low to me. I think Earth currently has several hundred satellites. Should Fujishiro take this number to be remarkable or expected?

How is it possible to take a tissue sample noninvasively? Unless you're going to peel off some skin. :queasy:
    Both questions that might best be addressed in the game thread.

Registered
    Sep 2009

(Removed my duplicate post)
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Jan 2012 at 12:01 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Default Ship's Rec Activities

Hi Everyone.

Just started to compose this message and the screen changed to something different. I will do my best to adapt.

All TV Trek eras had some form of recreational activities aboard ship. Important to keep Starfleet crew members fit in body, mind and spirit.

Like all of the ideas. Traditional exercise, social events, artistic pursuits -- all good. Hayes would enjoy participating in them all. She is a very active person. She also loves using her mind -- chess -- and her creativity -- she is a terrible painter, but enjoys painting as a form of relaxation. She'd also like to study the martial arts.

WES

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, yeah, and a jacuzzi. Gotta have a jacuzzi....

Registered
    Feb 2009

while you're at it, how about a sauna AND a steam room?

Registered
    Sep 2009

What's the difference?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Steam rooms have water steam clouds - very humid moist good for the skin environment
    Saunas have dry heat - rocks are heated, practically cooked, and every now and then a little bit of water can be poured over the rocks to make steam, but that's optional. It's like a tropical rain forest vs. the desert

Registered
    Sep 2009

Maybe both, then.

Happy birthday, What Exit?, and many happy returns!

Registered
    Jan 2010

Both questions that might best be addressed in the game thread.
    Fujishiro can't ask the second one since she's unaware of the circumstances. I was obliquely noting that it's not really possible to take something out of a body with going through the skin. The only tissues that can be removed noninvasively are those that are on the outside.

Fujishiro will ask the other one. I just didn't want to look silly for asking the question if 23rd-century Earth only has small number of satellites also.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You could phrase it as, "Fujishiro asks the Library Computer if it is unusual for a planet at this stage of development to have so few satellites" or the like. I don't expect you to be all-knowing, and I rather think it impossible for you to look silly, Pleonast!

Registered
    Jan 2010

I don't want to break the flow of the game thread, so I'll post here.

At the debriefing Fujishiro will tell the Captain about her report and verbally summarize the highlights:
    1) Only the homeworld and its moon appear to be inhabited. The moon has only a single station.
    2) 3 orbiting space stations and several orbit-capable vessels around the Banij homeworld.
    3) Only several dozen artificial satellites and a large amount orbital debris.
    4) An unexplained sensor anomaly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, that wouldn't be breaking the flow. That's exactly the kind of thing that should go in the game thread! Please post it there.

This is the setup thread, for stuff not happening to your characters, for non-story thoughts and observations, for Q&A and out-of-game discussion.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 16 Sep 2010 at 10:57 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

ds9writer needs to figure out the significance of the replicative fading he noticed among the Banij samples. Remember the website I recommended earlier.

Pleonast didn't say she'd done the further scanning requested by the Captain, but I'll assume she did before being called to the senior staff meeting.

I'll be on the road through Sunday, and will be posting intermittently. Thanks, everybody.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Sep 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Reading thread now, but no time to post. Hopefully will get a chance tonight. Still on vacation for another week.

Registered
    Jan 2010

No, that wouldn't be breaking the flow. That's exactly the kind of thing that should go in the game thread! Please post it there.

This is the setup thread, for stuff not happening to your characters, for non-story thoughts and observations, for Q&A and out-of-game discussion.

Thanks.
    I was worried that it would look odd for Fujishiro to give a report while the away team was still away and afraid (correctly, unfortunately) that I wouldn't be able to post when the meeting did take place.

Yes, assume she does things as requested.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There. I opened the plot line up for drama. My work here is done.

+ Reply to thread