Results 5,551 to 5,592 of 5592

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, choie!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    You see no one from the Four Little Diamonds. Kylah notices, however, among those in various starship crew uniforms and civilian attire, an older Human man in the gray-green coveralls and golden insignia of the Drelloan Exploratory Corps passing through.
    Dang that's a deep callback! Nice, chief.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. More than eight years ago IRL, I see. Good catch, choie, and thanks for the link to Kylah's first encounter with a DEC officer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nobody's mentioned it so far, but I bet somebody's caught the reference: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Docking_Bay_94

Registered
    Mar 2012

It's a trap!

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL. Different SW movie!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Hey, funny coincidence: I was continuity trolling to look up info earlier in the mission and I came across a rather prophetic post. This was during the end of the Novy Rostov rescue mission, where a clipper called the Ain't She a Butte? offered to take some 40 passengers to free up some space on the Yorktown as we neared Beta Antares.

(Can you believe that was in this mission? Yowsa. And we still had the wedding and the Hutchinson hearing ahead!)

Anyway, Nia (as BCDO on the Bridge) was giving Graham/Rangin (in the transporter room preparing to beam over to the other ship) instructions, when Rangin needled Graham by suggesting he go onto the Ain't She for the next couple of days; his private idea was to separate Nia & Graham just for kicks. At that point, he didn't know about the sorta-breakup and Graham's engagement to Marala.

Graham got pissed off, thinking Rangin was purposely hurting Nia for some reason, icily said no, he wouldn't leave his family. Rangin was all, "Wait, what family? I thought you and Lt. Onn were a thing?" and Graham reacted huffily, which led Rangin to blast him for dumping the independent sex-machine Nia for some demure chick he only just met, blah blah. Not one of Rangin's finer moments, although he kinda meant well.

Annd meanwhile, back on the Bridge, a mortified Nia--along with the Bridge crew--is forced to listen to all this unfold, since Graham/Rangin are on speaker.

Here's the point: With Nia unable to shut the guys up, in post #213, she thinks:

Quote Originally posted by Nia
    Nia can't believe the words broadcasting over her chair's comm unit. She feels like the pilot of a helpless shuttle trapped in a tumbling roll, with no thrusters to stabilize or regain control of the vessel. And worse, she's the one who caused the damage in the first place.
    Little did Nia know that her analogy was about to come true. Practically Nostradamus! Just a coincidence that amused me.

I do enjoy reading the early parts of missions now and again. They are usually so different from what ends up being the primary mission, and I love how much character/mini-personal-missions we have a chance to work on while gearing up for the main event. Thanks for indulging us, EH!

Skimming the thread again reminded me just how incredibly crappy a time Nia's had right from the start. She just plummeted into a morass of bad luck. All while Kylah's had a completely atypical streak of good luck and competence. How the tables have turned for the ladies. Suddenly it's Nia's who's playing out The Peril's of Pauline, rather than the Elasian princess!
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 26 Oct 2023 at 05:14 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hadn't thought of it that way, exactly, but I think you're right. Hmm. Maybe both of them were due for change of luck. And who knows what might come next! Thanks, as ever, for playing, SidGal.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Hadn't thought of it that way, exactly, but I think you're right. Hmm. Maybe both of them were due for change of luck. And who knows what might come next! Thanks, as ever, for playing, SidGal.
    The gratitude is mine, Admiral. Nia's downward trajectory* seems pretty organic given everything that's gone down since she learned about Marala & Nicolai, and the many serendipitous circumstances that made things worse and worse for her physical situation. It's nice to rock her off her capable feet for a change.

I hardly dare speak for choie--how could I be so presumptuous?--but it's gotta be a relief for Kylah to have been chill** for so long.

* Pardon the crashing-on-a-frozen-wasteland pun.
    ** Ibid.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, go right ahead and dare! I doubt she'll complain.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Indeed. Kylah's "chillness," if those two words can ever truly be said to belong together, has been very purposeful. My girl needed a break from what's been roughly a decade of nonstop angst. Once we left Mrs. Soerdajaya & her flunkie behind it's been a virtual joyfest! Would've kept up if Rangin hadn't gone and ruined things via a pesky murder (or justifiable homicide... potayto/potahto).

(Okay, she might be forgetting one or two things that should be nagging at her, but I'm sure it's nothing.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm off to Vermont for touristy stuff and a long visit with my in-laws, and expect to have iffy Internet access. Let's take a break until Nov. 26. My best Thanksgiving wishes to those who celebrate it!

Registered
    Mar 2012

The same to you, William. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Registered
    Nov 2021

Happy holidays and travels!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks! Had a good time, although arguably not quite enough pie. Nice to be back.

Registered
    Mar 2012

When time slows down this incrementally I get suspicious and worried that we're missing an opportunity to do something that we should be doing. But my Spidey-sense has been wrong many times before.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, you're doing fine.

Or are you...? Mwuhahahahaha!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by stolz View post
    [Dr. Mäkeläinen] is pondering this when Kylah surprises him with an insightful question
    HA! Doc knows my girl two or three days and already falls in line with the general impression of her.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey gang. Just wanted to wish a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it! And to all, a very Trekkie new year.

May the Yorktown crew continue to flourish, and eventually find their way home!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well said, and I agree. Thanks, choie. And as it happens, I have the same Hallmark miniature of the Enterprise-E hanging on our tree, too!

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Likewise, happy whatever-holidays-apply in your household and best wishes for the new year.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Anybody recognize Teloqq and his mooks' race?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Super long shot, but: Did one of them ever stab some Starfleet guy in the back? The victim's name eludes me...

Registered
    Nov 2021

Chalnoth? Nausicaan? Predators? Orks?

Registered
    Sep 2009

stolz has it. They are indeed Chalnoth - the four protruding lower teeth and skin color are giveaways (choie is thinking of Nausicaans). Well done!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Chalnoth
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...caan?so=search

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure I followed who will be in each cabin, in two groupings of three each.

Registered
    Nov 2021

My understanding was, one cabin had Lt Graham, Dr Mäkeläinen, and Lt Onn in it, and the next one farther down had Ens Kylah, Lt Rangin, and Ens Rawlings, except now people have begun milling around and talking about food.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yeah Kylah had suggested that grouping here:
    Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Turning to the Doctor, Kylah nods as well. "As for sharing, Doc, it should be easy to split into groups of three, keeping the--" She halts at how to describe "security officers" without sounding like "security officers." "Keeping the strongest pair distributed within both. T-terrence, could you be with me and...Ganrin?" She is not sure which name is harder to say with a straight face. "And obviously Doc and Booker ought to sleep with Nia."
    Not just because it's logical but also so I could finagle the wording of the last sentence in the most awkward way possible for those three.

I have lost track though, because I did think the top priority, at least for everyone not Graham-shaped, was to make sure the Yorktown or indeed anyone knew their location, and to open communications to that point once we were aboard the Doregg. So Kylah's been futzing around with that aim--but if we're meant to have some kinda time jump or pause here, I can get on board either way!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for the bunking confirmation.

No time jump or pause necessary. Your characters should do what they think they ought to, to confirm that the Yorktown knows where they are.

Registered
    Apr 2015

FYI for those who don't remember line from, like three or four years ago, Nia's nickname--or at least one of them--is "Onn top."

We can only assume when camping or in any bunk bed situation, Nia has shown a distinct predilection for being on top.

Registered
    May 2013

Hi we're travelling on vacation this week, posting may be sporadic/delayed. Sorry I didn't post eariier! We're back home this weekend. Mahalo.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Understood, and thanks, general! Have a great trip.

Registered
    Apr 2015

OOoooOOH! If that's a clue to where you're going, I'm extra envious! Have a great trip, urko!

Registered
    May 2013

OK I am back from a week of 80F, sun, and surf...

Registered
    Mar 2012

this you?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Fun yet scary fact, we began our mission heading to the prison planet on the Tesla nearly two years ago. Tempus fugit!

Registered
    Sep 2009

How it does indeed! Never expected it to run this long... but then, I've thought that about almost all of our missions so far.

Registered
    May 2013

OMG that shirt is epic, what a missed opportunity!

Registered
    May 2013

If we had subtitles or section headings for parts of the mission I feel like this one should be "Kylah Gets the Munchies"...

Registered
    Mar 2012

HA! Very true. There's a throughline with her as far as her relationship with food is concerned. She spent the last few months denying herself meals either because she was scared or felt she deserved something punitive.

(And in the process, she's lost weight and began to lose some of the more obvious feminine physical attributes that seem to draw men's attention. But that's not so much of a conscious choice.)

Now, her champing at the bit for some chomping shows that she's in a happier, healthier mindset. For now. I mean it's been, like, eight days since she's had any disastrous thing occur to her! Well, to her specifically; obviously the shuttle crash and Rangin's killing a dude are disastrous, but she's not suffering those alone.

Sorry to sound like a shrink here.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As Dr. Noel didn't come along for this particular mission, you're fully entitled to. No apology needed.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Grazie!

Meanwhile, Rangin?? Now there's a right turn-up, and no mistake!

+ Reply to thread