+ Reply to thread
Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 107 108 109 110 111 112 LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,550 of 5594

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ah, thanks. It's an aircar, not a crawler (see post 1222), but I'd overlooked that she actually got in.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For anyone wants a Class F shuttlecraft of their very own: https://militaryissue.com/galileo-sh...ights-pol995m/

Registered
    Apr 2015

oh geeze where was that model when I was trying to figure out where everything on the Tesla was?! J/k, that is very cool. Love the working control panel too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes! I see the kit includes "Bonus decals featuring alternate registration" - I wonder if that would include the USS Yorktown, NCC-1717? I remember the kit for the USS Enterprise included extra decals for all the other Constitution-class starships mentioned in TOS.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cool photo from the flightdeck of the WWII-era USS Yorktown: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...f-flight-.html

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sooooo. Kinda busy news week, huh? EH. were you affected at all by the wildfire smoke? It was crazy here in NYC. Here's a tweet of the view from my apartment at noon, Thursday. As I mention in my reply there, I felt like I was on the set of The Martian.

And yes that's a very nifty photo f the Yorktown. Really impressive shot of the spinning propellers--the effect reminds me of those rings on Krypton that were used to confine General Zod and co-conspirators!

Edited to add: Wait wait wait... am I misreading this? "Aura of Flight is a painting by which was uploaded on December 19th, 2021." Are they saying this is a painting rather than a photograph?! Or did this guy just upload it under the Painting category for selling purposes?

Registered
    Nov 2021

Air pollution can make for some spectacular lighting, but I hope you do not have to inhale too much particulate matter....

Registered
    Sep 2009

Great pics of NYC, choie - some of the others I've seen really did look End Times-worthy. Air quality readings here were not great, but I didn't notice any difference at all when I was outside. Our youngest son is in Washington, D.C. for a college trip, and the Nationals baseball game they were scheduled to go to was unfortunately cancelled due to the poor air quality.

I think that is indeed a photograph and not a painting, as you say.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Glad you weren't too affected, though I hadn't realized it got as far south as DC! Crazy stuff. And yeah if that photograph is actually a painting my hat would be off to the artist because that'd be some extraordinary detail!

Registered
    Nov 2021

On the other hand, Photorealism is a real style of art that often starts with a photograph for reference, but the artist ends up painting on canvas.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty sure it's just a categorization error.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey is this new alien the first we're seeing that's solely been in DS9? Probably not, likely it's just the first I can recall. Have we seen a Breen yet? Except I think they were mentioned earlier, they just showed up in (Dominion War-era) DS9. Anyway, fun!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I think this is the first DS9-only race the Yorktown crew has come across, although it's not a First Contact. And no Breen yet - those would definitely be later in Federation history.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll soon be leaving for a week on the beach in Nags Head, N.C., with a spotty Internet connection. I will probably not post again until July 1. Feel free to post here or in the game thread until then, however.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh man, cliffhanger! We'll survive, though I'm dying to know what's in that paper, and what happened to poor Rangin. (Luckily Graham has plausible deniability via a solid alibi.) Have a wonderful and safe trip to NC, EH!

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Oh man, cliffhanger! We'll survive, though I'm dying to know what's in that paper, and what happened to poor Rangin. (Luckily Graham has plausible deniability via a solid alibi.) Have a wonderful and safe trip to NC, EH!
    LOL. Need to retconn Graham handing some monits to the bouncers when they enter and say "See that guy? He needs to have an accident..."

Enjoy your trip! Sorry I've been sporadic lately...have had to a lot of writing for work which leaves me a little looking for soccer or stupid food shows after quitting time...!

Registered
    Nov 2021

Spotty Internet connection... truly, we are living in the past; let us enjoy it while we can!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm back! Had a very good time, including swimming, building sandcastles, reading and visiting the Wright Bros. historic site at Kitty Hawk, but I'm glad to be home. And now the adventure continues for Onn & Co.!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sounds like just about the ideal EH-esque vacation! Welcome back, it's been a hella long week with all the good and bad news, yet no ST:RPG to cling to for comfort. Even Twitter's basically off-limits (for most).

Meanwhile in the game... Yikes! Now this is a turn-up and no mistake!

(Poor Rangin, missing a juicy plot like this, LOL!)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Indeed!

Here's a bit of background on some of the ships and worlds just named in the game thread.

My grandfather owned a print, now hanging in our house, of this namesake sailing ship (scroll down and click on the graphic to get a better look):
    https://catalogs.marinersmuseum.org/object/CL7919

This ship gets around, too:
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Astral_Queen

The Dierdre, you say?:

Altair IV definitely has some Star Trek history behind it:
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Altair_IV

Krasni is the setting in one of my favorite ST short stories, "The Face on the Barroom Floor" by Eleanor Arnason and Ruth Berman, in ST: The New Voyages (1976):
    https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/..._Barroom_Floor

And the name of the starship headed there was, believe it or not, inspired by an ELO song:

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Jul 2023 at 11:52 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

What an eclectic, intriguing collection of cultural/historical influences! The range of your interests is truly impressive. Thanks for all this!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Glad to! And very best Independence Day wishes to all my fellow Americans.

Registered
    Apr 2015

And you as well. To anyone from the UK reading this, they're probably saying "and good riddance!"

Some questions, m'lud.

1. Would Nia recognize any of the destinations Mendu just mentioned? Someone in her position would surely have a good knowledge of stellar cartography, but of course she's not omniscient, and there are way too many stars and planets et al. to recognize them all. If yes, I'll have her try to remember the info in-thread.

If not, however, she'd naturally react by trying to research the locations in comparison to Cavinre via a starmap. To facilitate that, I need some tech info that Nia should already know.

2. Is a starmap native to either her communicator or someone's tricorder, via some starmap app, so to speak? Probably called Starmapp (TM).

3. If not, it seems established that our communicators won't work off-world (that is, to the multi-world Net we often use) unless they're connected via subspace array, correct? If so, is this array something that'd typically be accessible only via a major hub such as the Port Authority? Or would various entities, e.g., this club, have their own equivalent of galactic WiFi?

Thanks! I have a contingency plan if all of the above don't pan out, but I'd like to know what info my girl oughtta have either in her brain or conveniently at the tip of her fingers.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 04 Jul 2023 at 05:06 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for asking!

1. Yes, Onn would have heard of all of the places mentioned by Mendu.

2. Starfleet communicators do not have a starmap function. I believe Rangin is the only person in the Tesla party still with a standard tricorder since the crash, and he would have starmaps of at least the local galactic region on it. The good doctor has a medical tricorder, but it would not have a starmap database.

3. You may communicate with each other while on Ollos using your communicators, as you've already done, and also with ships in orbit (if they choose to respond), but do not have any comms reach beyond that. The bar would probably not have offworld comms. The Port Authority, the facilities of which you've already used, is probably your best option, although there may be others, if you ask around.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Great, thanks EH, that's all extremely helpful!

Registered
    Nov 2021

I think the Doctor did not mean to imply that Nia was sure to croak in a couple of days, just that her meds may end up only lasting for four or five days rather than an entire week, depending on the breaks

Registered
    Apr 2015

Gotcha! His answer was, as usual, extremely thorough and well-thought-out. I really admire your grasp of science tech and medicine! Bizhi is extraordinarily valuable to the team thanks to his range of knowledge. Perfect combo of what we lost when Dr. T'Var and Rangin became NPCs.

Me, I have to research every last bit of astronomy or technology my allegedly expert pilot/engineer prodigy deals with, and even then I'm sure I get it pretty wrong. Good enough for treknobabble but still, I'd rather be actually right if possible.

Anyway, yeah, Nia's just taking the worst-case scenario and running with it, both for pragmatic purposes (she has to strategize as if the worst will happen) and emotional necessity. She feels the need to skip the first four Kübler-Ross stages of dying and get straight to acceptance. Does that make sense characterwise?

Registered
    Nov 2021

I am not sure I should be praised for generating technobabble but it is unavoidable in a lot of sci-fi genres, especially this one.

Bizhi is supposed to have a good memory and read a lot, medical and biological journals and textbooks, naturally, but he also has personal interests and hobbies like any person, and there would be facts he randomly picked up somewhere along the line, which would explain how he would know that a communicator message should not get through a full-cloak privacy screen, even though he probably does not know the details of how those things work, nor could he build a cloaking device out of spare parts and alligator clips.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Ha, well, if Nia survives she'll provide the manual labor. But I was probably unclear--I think you have a real skill for writing the tech stuff so that it doesn't sound like treknobabble. Now that's an art!

Anyway I'm grateful for your post here; I tweaked Nia's latest a bit in hopes of making it a little more evident why she's primarily considering the two-day countdown.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The privacy shield is just visual, actually, so a comm message could (and I believe already has) get through. When in doubt about any technobabble (or anything else), please PM me or post here. Thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2021

What does he really know about gadgets when it comes down to it, anyway? He spends his time more on things like folklore, botany, and music....

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely more than the sum of his parts!

Registered
    May 2013

"As for Satchell's question, Nia gives a one-shoulder shrug, accompanied by a polite, weary smile. "Which answer'll get us the ride?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm off today for a family trip (Illinois and Wisconsin) and will be back late on Aug. 25. I will probably not post again until then; feel free to post here or in the game thread until then, however.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Back to Mello later than I expected - sorry, and thanks for your patience! Good to be with you again.

Registered
    May 2013

Welcome back, EH. I had a work trip last week so I was mostly AWOL myself.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Welcome back to both of you! Hope you had fun and/or productive trips, depending.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, definitely fun. Our stops included the Toledo Botanical Gardens, the Indiana Dunes state park, Frank Lloyd Wright's country estate Taliesin, the Wisconsin State Capitol, the Chicago Riverwalk, the Art Institute of Chicago (including a good Van Gogh exhibit), the Japanese Gardens at Jackson Park (saw the Obama Presidential Center under construction nearby), an overnight stay at the Maumee Bay state park and more. But it's good to be home.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For more on the names of the most recent ships about which your party has learned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fevre_Dream
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheherazade

I do not mean to suggest that there will be vampires aboard the first ship. It's from a great vampire novel, though.

The title character, a horse, in Robert Lawson's terrific kids' history book Mr. Revere and I, which I loved as a kid, was named Scheherazade (and nicknamed "Sherry").

You may recall that Kylah heard an Uwat ship transmitting among the many which warned off the Tesla when you first approached Ollos.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh geeze, no vampires to match the zombies? That's not fair!

I vaguely remember a similar book from elementary school as the Revere tale... I think it involved Ben Franklin and a mouse, maybe? Maybe part of the same series? And Scheherezade, the Rimsky-Korsakov version, is also one of my favorite orchestral pieces. I think it, along with Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite, was among the first classical works I heard. Other than my sister's piano practicing.

I most definitely did not remember Kylah's hearing the Uwat ship! Thank you for the reminder.

Registered
    Nov 2021

It may be too blatantly obvious, but Scheherezade makes me think of One Thousand and One Nights fairy tales; I would not have made an association with horses. I am not familiar with exactly who Uwat are as far as aliens, and the Star Trek wiki is no help, but maybe the characters know more about them, at least general knowledge like where their home world is, more or less, and is their ship likely to have a breathable atmosphere...

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's a good point--whoever named that ship (I'm sure there's a proper nautical term for titling ships but i forget..) must have some human or at least Earth-based culture. We don't know who they are, though we know their destination is Idrean VII.

The Uwat race or planet sound unique to the EHRPGCU,* as far as I could find. Their ship's called the Doregg, FWIW. (There's a character in a Game of Thrones online game by that name; not sure if it's an homage or coincidence, though. Or even if it's canon to GOT/ASOIAF, which I've not seen or read.)

Meanwhile, I'm looking to find out who or what the heck "Irkhuit" refers to. I'm hazarding a guess the Uwat are possible prospects to involve whatever "Irkhuit" is, if only because something about both words feels like a cohesive language. Possibly wishful/curious thinking on my part and an annoying habit of trying to solve puzzles even when they're not actually puzzling.

* the Elendil's Heir Role-Playing-Game Cinematic Universe

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the Uwat are unique to the EHRPGCU (ha - what an acronym!). No connection of the Doregg to the GOT character, who I didn't even know about; just a coincidence.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Should have added, yes, choie, Lawson also wrote a kids' history book about Ben Franklin and his friend, advisor and inspiration, a mouse named Amos, in Ben and Me. Disney later adapted it as a cartoon. It, and Mr. Revere and I, are part of his series about famous people and their companion animals or pets that includes I Discover Columbus (about the explorer's parrot) and Captain Kidd's Cat (self-explanatory), which are also quite good. Lawson is also remembered for his Rabbit Hill series and for illustrating the classic, and very funny, The Story of Ferdinand the Bull.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ah thank you! I know one of the other classes in my elementary school read the Ben Franklin one--I think something similarly patriotic. (Could've been in advance of the Bicentennial. I would've been 9 then, and I think the books are likely for that age cohort.) But I certainly recall Ferdinand the Bull! Lawson was a clever and charming writer.

Personnel question re: the Black Sun -- I couldn't tell, are all six of us with the Doregg crew now, or are we absent Rawlings and Rangin?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Lawson illustrated but did not write Ferdinand.

I'll clarify in the game thread - you're all there with the Uwat officer. Rangin led you to him, having spoken to him earlier.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Default the dustbin of history

I was talking with some kid (age 20, not Canadian)--- not about Star Trek--- and it came up that she had never heard of William Shatner.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by stolz View post
    I was talking with some kid (age 20, not Canadian)--- not about Star Trek--- and it came up that she had never heard of William Shatner.
    Sic transit gloria galaxia. Or the alpha quadrantis, to be precise.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, indeed. Susan and I were once gobsmacked when our eldest son didn't recognize the name of Robert Redford. Turns out he had seen Redford in at least two movies, but just didn't know the actor's name. Still, it was a scary moment! ;-)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yikes. Well, you know Paul Newman is probably more known for his popcorn and salad dressing to these junior kiddos. Redford might need to come up with a good condiment and/or pantry item empire.

This is a fun, albeit vulgar--seriously, if you object to cursing, might wanna steer clear--Bruno-Mars-esque song that offers a new take on an RPG quest perception check. Actually the song greatly reminds me of Flight of the Concords, if you know the comedy duo/TV series. Might just be the Antipodean accent. Enjoy!

+ Reply to thread