+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey guys. I'm moving into my new place this week and I've just had the internet turned off at the cabin, so my access is going to be spotty-to-nonexistent until I'm all moved in. Since I barely own anything I'm hoping to be fully moved in by tomorrow night, but I may not have the time to post until then.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for letting us know. Hope the move goes well.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Since I was asked about this by a player....

Not everyone can check Mellophant every single day. I understand that, which is why Rule 12 asks that you check the setup and game threads at least every other day.

A day in 2010 may just mean a moment in the game, or vice versa. The plot may even jump forward now and then, with months aboard ship in 2269 passing in an instant here. I want to make sure everyone has a chance to post between my posts. I will do my best to post at least every other day or so. As ever, please be patient, and I hope you won't have cause to regret it.

Thanks again for playing!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Plenty of Class M worlds out there?: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/07/2...ex.html?hpt=T2

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Plenty of Class M worlds out there?: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/07/2...ex.html?hpt=T2
    Cool, next question is how many are in the life zone of their stars and have water and atmosphere. If we find one with a significant amount of oxygen, we have almost surely found life like ours.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Uh, isn't that what "M Class" means?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    Uh, isn't that what "M Class" means?
    Well yes, but the article is actually only talking about earth size planets, not actual M Class.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There was a problem with getting the DSL hooked up, so I had to wait for a repair guy to get out here. I'm just now online again. I've got a few things to catch up on and one of those is the game!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Glad to have you back online, Zuul.

Been having my own connection problems lately. Not sure why.

I've finished watching all episodes of TOS on DVD. Impressed with the variety and scope of the series. I certainly can appreciate it more now as an adult than I did as a kid.

Favorite Episode: Assignment Earth
    Least Favorite: Spock's Brain

WES

Registered
    Sep 2009

Welcome back, Zuul. Moving can certainly be a pain in the ass. I don't ever want to move again. If all goes well, I'm now in the house from which (a looooooong time from now, I hope) they'll carry me to the morgue.

Wow, WES, you just watched all 70-some TOS episodes in one go? How long did it take you? I think that would turn my brain to mush. As it happens, "Spock's Brain" is my earliest-remembered episode; I think I may even have seen the original broadcast. Fortunately, despite the awfulness of that particular episode, I kept watching, and caught most of them in reruns in the Seventies.

My favorite eps were "City on the Edge of Forever," "Journey to Babel," "Court Martial," "This Side of Paradise," "The Doomsday Machine" and "The Ultimate Computer."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Jul 2010 at 02:43 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

my earliest remembered episode was "Lights of Zatar". It's a wonder I came back for more
    My faves, in no particular order, are "A Piece of the Action", "Trouble with Tribbles", "City...Forever", and, after seeing it a few more times, "Lights of Zatar"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, yes, definitely should've mentioned "The Trouble with Tribbles."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Is an ensign "enlisted" or "junior officer"?

I recalled a few TOS episodes wherein a few females wore capris and a tunic - Charlie X comes to mind - so yeah, Jeremi is sticking with that version of the uniform

are ensigns above or below yeomen?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ensigns are commissioned officers, the lowest such; they are not enlisted personnel. They are higher in rank than yeomen (which is a job and not a rank anyway, IIRC). I don't recall the particular uniform you mentioned; if you find a picture online, I'd like to see it.

This is the painting from Conference Room 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrend...ord_Cornwallis

Registered
    Feb 2009

so if they're junior officers, why would they have roommates? according to the blueprints, junior offices aboard constitution class vessels had single rooms

Registered
    Feb 2009

as for uniforms - I found this

and this

as examples of tunic/trousers on women

Registered
    Feb 2009

would it still be called a gym? Collins will be spending much of her off duty hours there

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for the uniform pictures you provided, anyrose. Aboard our ship, women's dresses would be as shown on Uhura and Rand, in proper departmental colors; the others are now obsolete. Women's shirts and pants for Capt. Singh and others are as we would have seen worn by Kirk, Spock, McCoy etc., but tailored appropriately for women. Under current Starfleet regs, either the dress or the shirt-and-pants is proper uniform, left to the discretion of individual personnel as a matter of daily preference.

The Yorktown's internal arrangement is a little different in some ways from the Enterprise's. Only the Captain, First Officer, department chiefs and most visiting VIPs have single rooms. Yes, there is a Gymnasium and related facilities, including a swimming pool, on Deck 8.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Jul 2010 at 08:07 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aye, and of course the bowling alleys down below just above the bilges." (Sorry, Navy joke)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Funny you should say that. I don't have them anymore, but the mid-1970s Pocket Books Constitution-class blueprints did show a bowling alley, near the bottom of the secondary hull IIRC. The Yorktown has no bowling alley, however. (Somehow I doubt that pastime will still be so popular in the 24th century as to lead to its inclusion on starships).

Registered
    Feb 2009

I would bet that someone working on the blueprints was ex-Navy.

I updated the Crew List: Post 88.
    Let me know if you want this edited into either Opening post. I'm copying it to the bottom of my character for now.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Please put it in the first post of this setup thread! That'll save me hunting through it every time.

How do you edit your post? Do you have special mod powers or something?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Pleonast View post
    Please put it in the first post of this setup thread! That'll save me hunting through it every time.

How do you edit your post? Do you have special mod powers or something?
    I am the forum leader for this forum. So I am not a mod but have some extra editing and merging powers.

CatInASuit and Zuul are both Board Admins so they have far more powers and I believe their edits are invisible. At least that is how it worked when I was the board admin.

Everyone has between 10-20 minutes to edit their own posts though.

BTW: There is a whole board outside this forum and you are most welcome to post to it or wander over to our chat area (listed as Chate! I believe). There has been a long running weekly Star Trek TOS episode by episode discussion in the Arts and Entertainment forum. Look for it, you might enjoy them. Feel free to bump any old thread, we have no Zombie Thread rules.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

Need to clarify. I did not watch all TOS episodes in one sitting. Yikes! That would definitely set my brain on fire. Since joining the game, I've watched several eps a day. Thanks to my sister for letting me borrow her DVD's.

My grandfather was a huge TOS fan. When I got home from school (age 10 or 11, I think), he'd be in the living room ready for the 4 pm show to start. First ep I remember seeing was "The Doomsday Machine". Liked it.

Been wondering whether Ens. Hayes would prefer dress to pants. Think she'd go with the pants.

WES

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Pleonast View post
    That'd be fine with me. Thanks, What Exit?.

You'll be learning more about the senior staff and your other crewmates as the game goes on, of course.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Done and a question:

Is the Science Officer the 2nd Officer? I noted he seemed to have the 3rd highest rank.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    ...Is the Science Officer the 2nd Officer? I noted he seemed to have the 3rd highest rank.
    Hmmm. I haven't decided that yet... hadn't even thought of it, really. Scotty was clearly next in the chain of command aboard the Enterprise, being left in charge every time Kirk and Spock were off the ship except once, IIRC, when Sulu had the conn. He was never formally designated as Second Officer, though.

Who do any of you think should come after Singh and Vargas?

ETA: For your crew roster, please add "Ens." before the name of Zuul's character, Faraz Pourtash. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Jul 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Hmmm. I haven't decided that yet... hadn't even thought of it, really. Scotty was clearly next in the chain of command aboard the Enterprise, being left in charge every time Kirk and Spock were off the ship except once, IIRC, when Sulu had the conn. He was never formally designated as Second Officer, though.

Who do any of you think should come after Singh and Vargas?

ETA: For your crew roster, please add "Ens." before the name of Zuul's character, Faraz Pourtash. Thanks again.
    I have seen Scotty retroactively referred to as the Second Officer, that is why I asked. There is no equivalent in the US Navy.

Here is a prime example: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Second_officer

The "Ens." is added.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 29 Jul 2010 at 07:52 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

one more question - are all Constitution Class vessels laid out similarly? So that having served on the Enterprise, Jeremi would have little, if no, trouble finding her way around the Yorktown?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Science officer as second officer is fine with me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

one more question - are all Constitution Class vessels laid out similarly? So that having served on the Enterprise, Jeremi would have little, if no, trouble finding her way around the Yorktown?
    Similarly, yes. Identically, no. As I wrote before, the Yorktown's internal arrangement is a little different in some ways from the Enterprise's. All major compartments that I can think of off the top of my head are located in the same place on both ships, though, other than the Captain's quarters and office.

She could always ask a crewmate for directions, if necessary. For that matter, five minutes' consultation of the Library Computer would tell her all she needed to know.

Would it be helpful to have a guide to the ship's main compartments? More often than not, you wouldn't need to specify decks. You could just refer to the Bridge, Sickbay, Engineering, Arboretum, Brig, Armory, Shuttlebay, etc. (BTW, major compartments should be capitalized).

Registered
    Feb 2009

works for me

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

I would be grateful for any guides you'd like to share.

Thanks!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ask and ye shall receive:

USS Yorktown, NCC-1717:
    Arboretum - Deck 22
    Armory - Deck 6
    Auxiliary Computer Core - Deck 18
    Auxiliary Bridge - Deck 6
    Bridge - Deck 1
    Brig - Deck 6
    Captain's Office and Quarters - Deck 2
    Cargo Bays - Decks 9, 10, 22
    Communications Center - Deck 6
    Conference Rooms - Decks 2, 7, 17
    Crew Lounges - Decks 8, 13, 20
    Crew Quarters - Decks 4-7, 17-18
    Engineering - Deck 19
    First Officer's Office and Quarters - Deck 17
    Galleys - Decks 8, 20
    Guest Quarters - Deck 6
    Laundries - Decks 8, 18
    Life Support - Decks 3, 8, 13, 21
    Machine Shops - Deck 19, 20
    Main Computer Core - Deck 7
    Medical Laboratory - Deck 7
    Mess Halls - Decks 8, 20
    Morgue - Deck 7
    Physics Laboratory - Deck 2
    Recreation Area - Deck 8
    Sciences laboratories - Decks 2, 3, 18
    Sciences Main Office - Deck 2
    Security Office - Deck 6
    Ship's Vault - Deck 6
    Shuttlebay - Deck 19
    Shuttlecraft maintenance - Deck 20
    Sickbay - Deck 7
    Swimming Pool - Deck 8
    Transporter Rooms - Decks 7, 21
    VIP Quarters - See Guest Quarters
    Wardroom - Deck 2
    Xenosociology Office - Deck 3
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Jul 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I formatted the above into 4 columns and added it to the Opening Post of this thread.

Registered
    Jan 2010

By deck number:

Deck 1 - Bridge
    Deck 2 - Captain's Office & Quarters, Conference Rooms, Physics Laboratory, Sciences Laboratories, Sciences Main Office, Wardroom
    Deck 3 - Life Support, Sciences Laboratories, Xenosociology Office
    Deck 4 - Crew Quarters
    Deck 5 - Crew Quarters
    Deck 6 - Armory, Auxiliary Bridge, Brig, Communications Center, Crew Quarters, Guest Quarters, Security Office, Ship's Vault, VIP Quarters
    Deck 7 - Conference Rooms, Crew Quarters, Main Computer Core, Medical Laboratory, Morgue, Sickbay, Transporter Rooms
    Deck 8 - Crew Lounges, Galleys, Laundries, Life Support, Mess Halls, Recreation Area, Swimming Pool
    Deck 9 - Cargo Bays
    Deck 10 - Cargo Bays
    Deck 11 -
    Deck 12 -
    Deck 13 - Crew Lounges, Life Support
    Deck 14 -
    Deck 15 -
    Deck 16 -
    Deck 17 - Conference Rooms, Crew Quarters, First Officer's Office & Quarters
    Deck 18 - Auxiliary Computer Core, Crew Quarters, Laundries, Sciences Laboratories
    Deck 19 - Engineering, Machine Shops, Shuttlebay
    Deck 20 - Crew Lounges, Galleys, Machine Shops, Mess Halls, Shuttlecraft Maintenance
    Deck 21 - Life Support, Transporter Rooms
    Deck 22 - Arboretum, Cargo Bays

Based on that, it looks like the saucer section is 1-10?

Registered
    Sep 2009

The saucer section is Decks 1-11. I've filled in some gaps in the list, drawing from The Star Trek Encyclopedia by Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda and Debbie Mirek (Pocket Books 1994), as well as my own imagination. Please note that I've added Crew Quarters to Deck 2, and some other stuff elsewhere, and the Sciences Main Office and Physics Lab are actually on Deck 3, not Deck 2.

So here's the USS Yorktown, by deck number (subject to further change, but I hope not):

Deck 1 - Bridge
    Deck 2 - Captain's Office & Quarters, Conference Rooms, Wardroom, Crew Quarters
    Deck 3 - Life Support, Sciences Main Office, Sciences Laboratories (including Physics), Xenosociology Office, Photon Torpedo Launch Bay
    Deck 4 - Crew Quarters, Crew Lounges
    Deck 5 - Crew Quarters, Chapel
    Deck 6 - Auxiliary Bridge, Security Office, Brig, Armory, Ship's Vault, Communications Center, Crew Quarters, Guest/VIP Quarters
    Deck 7 - Crew Quarters, Main Computer Core, Sickbay, Medical Laboratory, Morgue, Transporter Rooms, Conference Rooms
    Deck 8 - Crew Lounges, Mess Hall, Galley, Laundry, Life Support, Recreation Area, Gymnasium, Swimming Pool
    Deck 9 - Cargo Bays, Waste Reclamation
    Deck 10 - Cargo Bays, Waste Reclamation
    Deck 11 - Forward Phaser Control Room, Sensors
    Deck 12 - Observation Room, Inertial damping system
    Deck 13 - Crew Lounge, Life Support, Dorsal interconnects
    Deck 14 - Water tankage
    Deck 15 - Deuterium tankage
    Deck 16 - Deuterium tankage, Turbolift Maintenance
    Deck 17 - Aft Phaser Control Room, Conference Room, Crew Quarters, First Officer's Office & Quarters, Water tankage
    Deck 18 - Auxiliary Computer Core, Crew Quarters, Laundry, Sciences Laboratories, Shuttlebay Control, Waste Reclamation, Power distribution subsystems
    Deck 19 - Engineering, Shuttlebay, Machine shops
    Deck 20 - Crew Lounge, Mess Hall, Galley, Machine shops, Shuttlecraft Maintenance
    Deck 21 - Life Support, Transporter Rooms
    Deck 22 - Arboretum, Cargo Bays
    Deck 23 - Antimatter storage pods
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Aug 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Do you want me to add that list to the OP?
    What's next? I imagine we get our room assignments. I'll report to Engineering fast and I imagine we need to do some paperwork (well electronic paperwork at least).

Registered
    Sep 2009

[1] Do you want me to add that list to the OP?
    [2] What's next? I imagine we get our room assignments. I'll report to Engineering fast and I imagine we need to do some paperwork (well electronic paperwork at least).
    1. Yes, please.
    2. See the game thread.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Feel free to edit my game post (of 8/2/10 18:25(-ish) EDST) if necessary - I've forgotten what is proper when addressing someone of the same rank.

Also, are we allowed to speak for the NPCs with whom we'd be working most closely with, or in my case, rooming with?
    Last edited by anyrose; 02 Aug 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

...Also, are we allowed to speak for the NPCs with whom we'd be working most closely with, or in my case, rooming with?
    No. Remember Rule 2: "Your posts should just be about what your own character is thinking or doing. Let other players write about what their characters are up to, and I’ll handle the rest of the universe (it’s a tough job, but somebody’s gotta do it)."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Two things:

If you want to have an extended conversation with a non-player character (NPC), such as a cabinmate or coworker, you're more than welcome to write a scene and submit it to me via PM. I'll edit it and offer suggestions for consistency, and then you can post the revised scene in the game thread.

If you need to know the name of, or to meet, a particular NPC, just let me know (or ask another NPC such as Bennett or your department chief "in game"). You'll be meeting all the ship's senior officers, including the First Officer, at dinner.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Ready to head to the evening dinner, but nothing to add in the in-game thread.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Depending on how my evening unfolds, I should be able to post again in the game thread late tonight.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by game thread
    (Hayes sees a bottle as it’s being poured and notes with approval that it’s a Chateau Picard ‘50)
    ::stands and applauds::

Might there be a familial relationship between Collins and Noel? Cousins perhaps?

Registered
    Sep 2009

...Might there be a familial relationship between Collins and Noel? Cousins perhaps?
    Hmmm. That could work. Distant cousins, maybe? Write a scene in which they figure out the connection, if you like, and PM it to me. I'll take a look.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sorry for the delay. I kept getting error messages the last couple of days when I tried to access Mellophant.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I know they put a fix in for the board yesterday. So far it seems to be working better. CatInASuit and Zuul are working on it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For those who, like Ens. Delaney, want to learn more about the Battle of Yorktown, the Wiki article is a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...own_%281781%29

For an interesting and more in-depth treatment, I recommend this book; you don't have to be a military historian to enjoy it: http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Yorkto...1760317&sr=1-1

Registered
    Mar 2009

I know they put a fix in for the board yesterday. So far it seems to be working better. CatInASuit and Zuul are working on it.
    Pretty much entirely CIAS. I'm doing the really taxing job of just resetting the server and turning services back on when they crash. I think he's fixed the worst of it, though.

+ Reply to thread