+ Reply to thread

Thread: Queen Tonya hits middle age!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Queen Tonya hits middle age!

And she does it with class and finesse, as usual. Yes, that's right, HRH Tonya ushered in the Big Four-Oh thirty-six minutes ago with nary a whine nor groan as her bones creaked off to bed. While the government may consider her to be the 40 years as ascribed by her birth certificate, she will forever be as immature as those of us who know and love her.

As they say, you're not getting older, baby, you're getting better. Happy birthday, Tonya!

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Happy Birthday, QT!

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Is 40 middle age? I recall calling someone middle age at 30.

When does "late middle age" begin?

At 45, I finally feel "adult."
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, HAPPY B-DAY.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I have seen 35, 40, 45 and even 50 listed as starting Middle Aged.

According to Collins Dictionary, this is "... usually considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60".

The Oxford English Dictionary gives a similar definition but with a later start point "... the period between youth and old age, about 45 to 60".

The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54, while prominent social scientist, Erik Erikson, sees it ending a little later and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65.

At any rate welcome to the 40 club and

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I remember an episode of One Day at a Time where Mzzzz. Romano was having an existential crisis over turning middle aged. It was her 36th birthday. I remember in particular that it was her 36th birthday, because it was pointed out in the episode that the average life expectancy was 72, which makes 36 middle age. (In which case, really, wouldn't that mean middle age was even a little bit before that?) But anyway, now that I'm 43, I'm a little at the thought of 36 being middle aged. (And a little at the thought of Mzzzz. Romano being only 36 and having those grown-ass daughters, too, but that's neither here nor there.) I'd say that you're not really middle aged anymore until 50. At least.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I remember that episode too Sarah. If we go with half of life expectancy, 50 seems high but 40-45 is reasonable.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I remember an episode of One Day at a Time where Mzzzz. Romano was having an existential crisis over turning middle aged. It was her 36th birthday. I remember in particular that it was her 36th birthday, because it was pointed out in the episode that the average life expectancy was 72, which makes 36 middle age. (In which case, really, wouldn't that mean middle age was even a little bit before that?) But anyway, now that I'm 43, I'm a little at the thought of 36 being middle aged. (And a little at the thought of Mzzzz. Romano being only 36 and having those grown-ass daughters, too, but that's neither here nor there.) I'd say that you're not really middle aged anymore until 50. At least.

Not to punch a hole is Mzzzz Romano's theory, but the life expectancy of someone who is already 36 is now, and was then, way past 72.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't recall it being her theory but her Insurance Company's theory. Also as noted about the Census considered 35 to be middle aged.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 28 Jun 2010 at 12:42 PM.

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Is 40 middle age? I recall calling someone middle age at 30.

When does "late middle age" begin?

At 45, I finally feel "adult."
    Under 18 is "kidhood"

18 to 22 is "adulthood, technically, but don't expect anybody to take you seriously unless you've either successfully raised a child to the age of 7, or killed a man in Reno just to watch him die."

22 to 29is "youth."

30 to 39 is "late youth."

40 to 59 is "middle age."
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I remember that episode. I also remember thinking, at 12 or so, that M. S. Romano (her boss's preferred address) was a whole hell of a lot hotter than her elder daughter and only marginally behind the younger.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow, who knew that starting a thread to wish Queen Tonya a happy birthday would result in a debate instead?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by 5er View post
    Wow, who knew that starting a thread to wish Queen Tonya a happy birthday would result in a debate instead?
    First thank you and second, well you brought up middle aged. That should be enough to start a debate.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I blame Tonya. She's very controversial, you know.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by 5er View post
    I blame Tonya. She's very controversial, you know.
    So are we going to see more of you around here? Missed having you around.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Congratulations, Tonya!
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you all very much. I'm officially middle aged, it feels pretty good actually.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Queen Tonya View post
    Thank you all very much. I'm officially middle aged, it feels pretty good actually.
    Much better than the alternative.

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Happy birthday, Queen Tonya!

And being on the cusp of 29, myself, I like Skald's age categories best.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

+ Reply to thread