+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are there any Jewish groups seeking or working toward rebuilding the Temple?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Are there any Jewish groups seeking or working toward rebuilding the Temple?

I know a lot of the more crazy strains of Christianity are big on the reconstruction of the Temple, and so if some pseudo-Jewish group like Jews for Jesus is trying, it doesn't count. Are there any Jews seeking to rebuild the Temple and, then, presumably, reinstitute the Priesthood? Is that even, you know, considered a possibility, or do Jews all consider that part of history over and done with?

Registered
    Apr 2009

You should read The Yiddish Policemen's Union!

http://www.jewfaq.org/shul.htm#Temple

(Note: I'm Reform; Reform Jews almost always refer to temples, not synagogues, in my experience. Maybe "shul," but synagogue, not so much.)

Anyway, the thing is, we can't offer sacrifices anymore, because we don't have a place to do it in, i.e. a proper temple. This is basically OK with a lot of Jews, but not Orthodox Jews. (Orthodox Jews also being the ones who still take the Levite and Cohen thing pretty seriously.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Temple Institute seems to be what you're looking for.

They seem perpetually stymied by not being able to find the perfect red heifer, whose ashes are needed for the purification ritual before anybody would actually be able to use the Temple.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, Rube, that's exactly what I was wondering about. Hmm, and from the Wikipedia article on the red heifer, that problem is gonna be hard to solve.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Thanks, Rube, that's exactly what I was wondering about. Hmm, and from the Wikipedia article on the red heifer, that problem is gonna be hard to solve.
    Yeah, I know. When I originally heard about a red heifer, I thought, what's the big deal, I've personally seen thousands. Then, when you look at all the qualifiers, wow.

I find that kind of stuff endlessly strange and endlessly interesting.

+ Reply to thread