+ Reply to thread

Thread: What if BP walked away from the disaster?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What if BP walked away from the disaster?

The bill for the clean up in the Gulf of Mexico is rising and will be several billion. The lawsuits from people who have lost their livelihood will run into several billion. The partners in the oil rig have both said they will not be paying up their share of the costs and the two subcontractors, Transocean and Haliburton, have both blamed BP for all the problems that have occured. The US senate have decided to hold BP liable resulting in the delay of dividends being paid out and an escrow fund being set up to pay for the clearup and help those affected.

What if BP decided enough was enough and walked. They will no longer do business in the USA and the Federal government can clear up the mess.

What would happen to all of BPs assets in America? How would the USA cope with the loss of one of its largest suppliers of oil and could BP survive overseas without the USA? Also, how would the USA be able to get any money out of BP if it did decide to walk?

What would be the ecological impact if BP withdrew all its ships that are currently trying to deal with the oil leak? Would the USA be able to clear up the mess better than BP currently has?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wonder if the US government would pressure the British government to put the screws to BP, the equivalent of going straight to the parents of the kid who put a cricket ball through your window.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I wonder if the US government would pressure the British government to put the screws to BP, the equivalent of going straight to the parents of the kid who put a cricket ball through your window.
    BP is a very large multinational and isn't that British anymore, so applying pressure to the government over here would not do that much. He would have to apply pressure to Russia and OPEC instead to have a better chance. Somehow, I don't think that would work quite as well.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well BP has a lot of assets over in the US. They make a lot of profit in the US. I don't think $20 billion is high enough for them to walk away from it all. Their annual profits in the US are how many billions a year?

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You know right on their website it says, "With our global headquarters in London and operations across the country, the UK is the hub of the entire BP business"

So we'd come after the UK to put pressure on them. Pretty much the same way you'd come after us if Exxon fucked up your country. Which they haven't because Exxon's safety record is a veritable celebration of professionalism compared to BP.

Registered
    Feb 2009

We could recoup most of the losses just by seizing one or two of their refineries that operate here in the US. They have a really massive one right across the Illinois border in Indiana that’s got to be worth a few dollars.

Also we could seize all of the scratch off lotto tickets from their various gas stations around the country and scratch them all off until we have all the money.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

+ Reply to thread