+ Reply to thread

Thread: Extra spacing problem

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Extra spacing problem

All of a sudden, when I'm typing on my home computer and hit the "space" bar, either I get no space at all, or about five spaces. Happens in every program.

It's annoying the heck out of me.

Same kinda thing happened a couple years ago, then just seemed to stop on its own before I could diagnose it.

Any theories?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe a stuck keypress detector in your keyboard? Try a new keyboard and see if it goes away.
    Last edited by Glazer; 19 Jun 2010 at 11:47 AM.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer View post
    Maybe a stuck keypress detector in your keyboard? Try a new keyboard and see if it goes away.
    yeah, glazer, i was considering that, thing is, it requires an extra keyboard, which i don't have

am also considering brutal use of clawhammer

Registered
    Mar 2009

Get a new keyboard first. Wile satisfying the clawhammer is a bit more expensive.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, guess I might as well just lay out a few bucks for a new keyboard, and if that works, clawhammer the old one.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Have you tried taking the keyboard, holding it upside down and shaking the hell out of it?

I could feed a flock of birds with the crumbs that get stuck in my keyboard, and occasionally, they will make the keys wonky.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot View post
    Have you tried taking the keyboard, holding it upside down and shaking the hell out of it?

I could feed a flock of birds with the crumbs that get stuck in my keyboard, and occasionally, they will make the keys wonky.
    Have tried that, but may up the violence level, thanks.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You don't have any other keyboards? Maybe it's a bad sign but between working with computers and owning computers, I'm used to always having extra keyboards and mice lying around. A basic keyboard (i.e. at least equivalent to whatever you're using if you're not the kind of person with extra keyboards lying around ) is cheap enough that buying one and plugging it in should probably be your first step, since it's most likely a malfunction on the keyboard end rather than the computer end.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    You don't have any other keyboards? Maybe it's a bad sign but between working with computers and owning computers, I'm used to always having extra keyboards and mice lying around. A basic keyboard (i.e. at least equivalent to whatever you're using if you're not the kind of person with extra keyboards lying around ) is cheap enough that buying one and plugging it in should probably be your first step, since it's most likely a malfunction on the keyboard end rather than the computer end.
    Yeah, this is what I'm starting to figure out. I've been pretty lax about back-up stuff for the desktop since we've also got a laptop and a netbook, but really should be able to use the desktop at full capacity.

Thanks,

Rube

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, gonna get me those backup keyboards, but in the short-term, did a little poking around on the Net and discovered this is a known problem with Logitech keyboards, and there are some fixes...I went with the simplest, and am good for the moment.

thanks again

+ Reply to thread