+ Reply to thread

Thread: Color perception test

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Color perception test

How good are you at distinguishing colors?
    In this little test you have to arrange colored squares by hue.

http://spectralcolor.com/game/huetest_kiosk

I got a score of 7.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I got a 39. And a headache.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 17 Jun 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    And a headache.
    Oh yes. I wasn't sure about a few squares until the end, but I decided to submit it before I go mad.

Registered
    Feb 2009

12 score. And yes, it gives me a headache.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I got 102, which is a long way from the worst score for my age and sex, but is not good.

This may explain why I am never consulted about design issues.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I got a 22. My eyes are all squirrelly now.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

39. I wasn't about to go crosseyed spending more than a minute or so on those bars.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    39. I wasn't about to go crosseyed spending more than a minute or so on those bars.
    Twins!

find me at Goodreads

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

10 and I never want to do that again.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Apr 2009

7 and didn't think it was that scary or headachy...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    7 and didn't think it was that scary or headachy...
    Yeah, and unsatisfied with your initial score of 19, you took it twice, Ms. Perfection.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

According to this test, I have PERFECT COLOR VISION, so the rest of you can all relax, because the test is bullshit. Hell, I don't even have matching color vision in both eyes.

I think this particular test probably fails because it can't account for a fairly critical variable, namely the fact that everyone is viewing it on different monitor screens. I don't know about you people, but my monitor is so cheap that the color values change depending on what angle I am looking at it, which apparently gives me some kind of edge with this test.

Registered
    Mar 2009

11. Not too bad.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Now you all know why I dress like I do.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I agree with Terrifel - it's not *exactly the same for everyone. The lighting in this corner of the library is abysmal, and affected things considerable. Interesting test, tho...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Which, I believe, is much better than I did last time I took this test several years ago, on a different computer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    I think this particular test probably fails because it can't account for a fairly critical variable, namely the fact that everyone is viewing it on different monitor screens. I don't know about you people, but my monitor is so cheap that the color values change depending on what angle I am looking at it, which apparently gives me some kind of edge with this test.
    Yes, that's a problem, but at least there is hope that the usual variation between monitors, lighting conditions and viewing angles doesn't change the relative hues too much.

There is also a problem with certain LCDs that don't actually display the full 24 bit (i.e. 256 levels each for red, green and blue) that the software claims. Some displays just ignore everything beyond 18 bit. Then it's hopeless.

Other displays are a little better and although they don't display the full range of real colors they try and emulate the rest.

If these two images look the same then that's a bad sign.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Did it again, trying to show a bit more patience, got a 51. Still bad, but noticeably better. I'm not sure how much it's vision issues, how much is my monitor, and how much is just not being able to motivate myself to look at it very long.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    Yes, that's a problem, but at least there is hope that the usual variation between monitors, lighting conditions and viewing angles doesn't change the relative hues too much.

There is also a problem with certain LCDs that don't actually display the full 24 bit (i.e. 256 levels each for red, green and blue) that the software claims. Some displays just ignore everything beyond 18 bit. Then it's hopeless.

Other displays are a little better and although they don't display the full range of real colors they try and emulate the rest.

If these two images look the same then that's a bad sign.
    Look pretty much identical, so there you go.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I got 35. Am I reading this right that the lower your number is, the closer to perfect your color vision is supposed to be?

(I also have a cheap as shit monitor with atrocious lighting in a cabin, so I'm willing to blame that and claim better eyes if you guys will let me.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I tried again this morning and got an 8. I guess I have better eyesight in the morning.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I got 35. Am I reading this right that the lower your number is, the closer to perfect your color vision is supposed to be?

(I also have a cheap as shit monitor with atrocious lighting in a cabin, so I'm willing to blame that and claim better eyes if you guys will let me.)
    I think that's how it works; at any rate, I was rated PERFECT COLOR VISION with a score of 0.

Now that I think about it, I suppose the test could have been telling me that my color vision is perfect, and that I am also a zero.

I also noticed that the 'worst score' listed for my demographic was something like 1540. It's nice to see that at least some of my fellow Gen X'ers are carrying on the proud tradition of randomly dicking with anonymous surveys for no good reason.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I scored a 0 too, which doesn't sound that great, does it?
    I did it on my laptop monitor, which is only calibrated by eye but isn't the highest quality. One thing that helped is moving the window around on the screen, to account for the changes in color in regions of the screen.

I am slightly tempted to see how the scoring works by moving one or two of the boxes around. Obviously it's some function of the number of panels misranked and how far that panel is from its ideal position.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This drove me nuts so I rushed the last 2 bars. I got a 53. Not so good.

I have noticed a change in my color perception of late. I now struggle to differentiate black and dark, dark navy in room light at night, for example.

I also am blaming my monitor on a small portion of this.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I got 12, but was unwilling to spend nearly as much time on arranging the colors in the last bar as I did on the first. Still, if I am interpreting the somewhat less than helpful bit at the end correctly, that is a pretty good score for my age/gender. (On the other hand, I'm in the 50-60 age range, and at 51, assuming deterioration over time, I guess I SHOULD be toward the better end of the scale).

Nasty test, though. The bars were starting to dazzle by the end.

+ Reply to thread