Poll results: Which of these do you like least?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy-go-lucky songs from any decade (Walking on Sunshine)

2 10.00%
  • 60's hippy inspired folk rock (Scott MacKenzie - San Francisco, etc)

0 0%
  • 70's soft rock (Eagles, Hall & Oates, etc)

1 5.00%
  • 80's soft rock (Air Supply, Christopher Cross)

0 0%
  • Early 90's dance pop

1 5.00%
  • Late 90's boyband/girl singer explosion

3 15.00%
  • Late 90's NuMetal/Rap-Metal

7 35.00%
  • other

6 30.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is your least favorite popular music genre?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default What is your least favorite popular music genre?

Inspired by Cluricaun's comments in the Elton John thread. I personally love the soft side of the 70's, but apparently that is not universally true.

So let's all pick which of these oft maligned genres we hate the most.

My vote goes to the Nu-metal/Rap-metal of late 90's/early 00's. I hate Korn, Limp Bizket and all of their ilk with a fiery passion. :Shake:
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Missed the edit window..

Just to clarify, I probably shouldn't have said "genres", because I'm asking specifically about different flavors of Pop/Rock. Sorry in advance to people that always jump on the rap and/or country hate-bandwagons first. They don't really apply here.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Last edited by Taumpy; 16 Jun 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: double post

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I hate happiness.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well 90s Dance Music would have to win. I would have voted for Disco but I don't think you're including it. You specifically said not C&W.

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Why are gangsta rap & hip hop not options?
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer View post
    Why are gangsta rap & hip hop not options?
    Because they are popular, but not "pop"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow. What a tough choice.

I had to put "Other", because I dislike so many songs from all of you categories.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Shit, you said least.

Let me think about this for a sec.

OK, I voted "other" because I fail at reading, and wrote a nice little dissertation about my favorite music. But of those genres above, 80s soft rock is the worst thing ever.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 16 Jun 2010 at 06:44 PM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh yeah?

OH YEAH???

I like pretty much all those categories, actually.

Context dependent, of course, I'd sing along to 70s soft rock at the top of my lungs when driving, but get all amped up on Limp Bizket doing some demolition at work.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Registered
    Feb 2009

70's soft rock. I want to lock James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg, and Terry Jacks in the trunk of my car and drive off a cliff. Just a bunch of hairy coked out douche bags singing songs about horses and fucking pina coladas and the goddamned Edmund Fitzgerald. Kiss my Seals and Crofts you Kenny Loggans looking motherfuckers.

I mean there's a reason punk rock had to happen, and these overpaid chest hair loving toolbags were it.

ETA - Honestly, these are the people of my parents generation and the world will be a better place when they're all dead. Failed hippies became self obsessed 70's assholes became 80's consumer morons became Tea Party "fuck you got mine" nihilists who are ruining this country with their rampant disregard for anything but what they want for themselves. Good riddance you cancer.
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 16 Jun 2010 at 07:11 PM.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd go with the Nu-Metal/RapMetal, but that's just a guess. You know just how divorced I am from pop of almost any flavor. The only pop I've really heard lately has been the Eurovision songs from this year, and they're still infecting my mind.

Registered
    Apr 2009

All of the above and rap too.
    There is always the odd song that upsets the apple cart but in general it's all shite!

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I voted other. The bleeding over of "country" into the mainstream charts counts as a pop genre, right? It seems to have started in the 90s with Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, Faith Hill and continues today with Carrie Underwood and that other girl that Kanye was so mean too. It is all universally crap.

ETA: I like happy music in general but jesus christo I fucking hate "Walking on Sunshine" so much it makes me SO ANGRY
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 17 Jun 2010 at 09:23 AM.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You know I like a lot of pop music but it was hard to decide which of those genres I hate most. I had to go with nu-metal though. FUCK was the era of Korn and Limp Bizkit and Lincoln Park a terrible time to be alive. I bet if I'd lived through the 70s I'd have the same hatred for that shit too. Wait, when was Journey popular? Was that the 70s or the 80s?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    I voted other. The bleeding over of "country" into the mainstream charts counts as a pop genre, right?
    Yeah, I'd say it does. And I agree, pop-country is terrible.

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Wait, when was Journey popular? Was that the 70s or the 80s?
    Both, but they're at their worst during the 80's. I have always hated "Open Arms"

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh and how about Foreigner? ♫ I wanna know what love is ♪ . . .

I wanna gouge my ears out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Oh and how about Foreigner? ♫ I wanna know what love is ♪ . . .

I wanna gouge my ears out.
    God, bad memories. For complicated reasons, I once spent a night at a hotel that was basically a front for a strip joint. The strip joint played two songs, that one and "Solid as a Rock", over and over and over, at high volume, blocked not at all by the floor in the room where I was trying to get some sleep.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    God, bad memories. For complicated reasons, I once spent a night at a hotel that was basically a front for a strip joint. The strip joint played two songs, that one and "Solid as a Rock", over and over and over, at high volume, blocked not at all by the floor in the room where I was trying to get some sleep.
    Okay, I'm going to have to commit suicide just from having heard this story.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    70's soft rock. I want to lock James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg, and Terry Jacks in the trunk of my car and drive off a cliff. Just a bunch of hairy coked out douche bags singing songs about horses and fucking pina coladas and the goddamned Edmund Fitzgerald. Kiss my Seals and Crofts you Kenny Loggans looking motherfuckers.
    But, but...it's so smooth!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Another vote for pop-country. I call bullshit on your twangy affected accents, pop-country. There is no way that you could spend your formative years watching the same cable channels as the rest of us and yet still sound that much like interstate Waffle House employees.

Any person who wishes to play steel guitar in a non-Hawaiian context should be required to wrestle the volcano goddess for the privilege.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That don't impress me much, Terrifel.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    Any person who wishes to play steel guitar in a non-Hawaiian context should be required to wrestle the volcano goddess for the privilege.

I can't agree with that at all. The steel guitar is well used in actual country music.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    I can't agree with that at all. The steel guitar is well used in actual country music.
    If the volcano goddess shares your opinion, then they will emerge from the caldera unscathed.

Otherwise they can write songs about getting drunk, losing their marriage, and being immolated.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    I call bullshit on your twangy affected accents, pop-country. There is no way that you could spend your formative years watching the same cable channels as the rest of us and yet still sound that much like interstate Waffle House employees.
    Your Honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present to you Exhibit A: Keith Urban singing.

And Exhibit B: Keith Urban talking.

FUCKING POSER.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I didn't know Keith Urban sounded like that. Now I'll have an even harder time from confusing him with Karl Urban.

The one genre I really hate is grammy chick R&B. I don't know if the girl singers choice was meant for that or the jailbait pop, but both of them along with the boy bands are pretty awful. I've been reading through Then That's What They Called Music and listening to more of that than I ever wanted to.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

With regard to Keith Urban (whose music I fucking hate) he's just a particularly egregious example of the affectation that most people have in pop music, it just so happens that most pop music accents are american and most proponents are american so it's harder to separate. Most of the powerful female singers you hear on American Idol have this generic soul/blues voice that is nothing like their speaking voice. Anyway, that is to say, in music, especially pop, there is no real deal, authenticity.

I'd go with nu-metal but worse than the shouty stuff would be the angsty "acoustic" numbers by Puddle of Mudd etc.

+ Reply to thread