+ Reply to thread

Thread: Child Worker Vetting Scheme

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Child Worker Vetting Scheme

The latest news in the UK is that the Child Worker Vetting scheme for registering anyone who worked with children is to be put on holdpending a very large review.

The problem with this scheme was that anyone who interacted with Children had to be put on the registration list or be heavily fined if caught. This did not just include teachers, but was originally expanded to anyone taking responsibility for children other than their own. The idea was to ensure that if parent left their children with someone then they could be sure they were safe. The legislation came from the Soham murders and the need to ensure safety.

There was a lot of confusion as people were unsure that if they give other children a lift to school they would need to be on the list. If anyone want to visit a school, they should be on the list. Nurses would also be forced to register onto this list as well above and beyond the checks they already do. Volunteers at schools or in charities would have to register or be prevented from any childrens activities.

So the question is, what type of vetting scheme would you implement.
    Who should be vetted and is it possible to implement a scheme which would work?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Is this some sort of anti pedo thing? I don't get what the point is. To legislate the safety of children by making sure everyone that they meet is cleared somehow to be able to interact with children? That's insane. It would never actually work and would just muck up everything else.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I can't see how you could actually vet people in a way that would, you know, work.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm all in favor of the 'Parental Vetting System'.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Or locking children up on an island somewhere that nobody can get to them at all.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer View post
    I'm all in favor of the 'Parental Vetting System'.
    Me too!

Seriously, what the OP describes sounds like a witch hunt. Or something. I'm not really sure. If anyone has links to some informative news articles, that might help to clarify what the heck this is.

+ Reply to thread