+ Reply to thread

Thread: Barack Obama, "Fuck BP!"

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Barack Obama, "Fuck BP!"

A popular conservative slam of the prez right now is that he's not showing "enough emotion" when discussion the oil spill.

Is this a real issue?

For the most part, I am pretty sure folks don't want someone in the White House who pisses off easily.

Frankly, I am impressed by the dude's calm-under-fire approach to most things.

Rebbe Iconovicz
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, too bad we don't have a President who would clap BP on the back and say something like "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Haters gonna hate. If Obama was losing his shit over this, the same people would be saying we need a President who is level headed in times of crisis.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Haters gonna hate. If Obama was losing his shit over this, the same people would be saying we need a President who is level headed in times of crisis.
    I've got to agree. Some people are just operating from a place of 'Obama is Wrong'. No matter what he does, it is the Wrong Thing in their eyes. Because he is Obama, and Obama is Wrong.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I've got to agree. Some people are just operating from a place of 'Obama is Wrong'. No matter what he does, it is the Wrong Thing in their eyes. Because he is Obama, and Obama is Wrong.
    And I can't totally despise them for it. It was so fucking hard for me to choke out words of approval on the occasions that Bush did things right, and his general buffoonery made him an easy target for snark whether he was visiting foreign leaders or running the White House Easter Egg Hunt.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Put me down for another who thinks that while there are people who have legitimate criticisms of the job Barack Obama has done in his presidency, the vast majority of the vocal complaints one hears from conservative voices tend to be people looking for reasons to express their hatred.

I won't say that I think all of those who hate President Obama do so because of his skin color. I will say there sure are a lot of the haters who do, though.

When these same people who are complaining about the President failing to attack BP were among the voices protesting any attempt to impose profiteering taxes on the oil industry, it's particularly illustrative in my mind.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    A popular conservative slam of the prez right now is that he's not showing "enough emotion" when discussion the oil spill.

Is this a real issue?
    Well no, but at this point what else are they going to criticize?

"Blurrggh blargh, it's OUTRAGEOUS how Obama is stepping all over the rights of corporations, exploiting this tragedy to slam capitalism with his liberal-- oh, I guess he isn't.

"Well then, what about his radical environmentalist agenda, pushing legislation to ban domestic drilling-- he isn't? Really?

"Ah, but what about the way he treats Big Government as the solution? Why, if he had just let the oil industry professionals handle the problem, instead of instantly demanding a costly federal-- um. Hmm.

"Well... see? Isn't it obvious that he doesn't care? Just look at his cool contempt for the environment and government supervision of industry! What kind of inhuman monster is he?"

Next, Phase 2 of the Obama Plan: calmly and rationally propose that marijuana should remain illegal.

Registered
    Feb 2009

From this side of the pond we get plenty of comments about Obama saying "British Petroleum" instead of "BP" and lots of anti-British, old world ex-colonial who do they think they are rhetoric.

It probably doesn't help that BP is about to give out yet another huge dividend to all its shareholders.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    From this side of the pond we get plenty of comments about Obama saying "British Petroleum" instead of "BP" and lots of anti-British, old world ex-colonial who do they think they are rhetoric.
    Oh geez, what a dumb thing to get upset about. Obama is of an age where BP meant British Petroleum. I did not realize it changed. It would be like an American getting upset by AT&T being called American Telephone & Telegraph. Do you have Teabaggers in the UK too?

Registered
    Mar 2009

It probably doesn't help that BP is about to give out yet another huge dividend to all its shareholders.
    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Oh geez, what a dumb thing to get upset about. Obama is of an age where BP meant British Petroleum. I did not realize it changed. It would be like an American getting upset by AT&T being called American Telephone & Telegraph. Do you have Teabaggers in the UK too?
    If he really wants to hear some butthurt uproar, Obama should start referring to them as "the people who bring you Arco gasoline."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Umm, it's been BP for the last ten years and heavily branded as such. It's a ploy to avoid the US connection with Amoco.

Also, the UK runs on tea, both loose and bagged.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Umm, it's been BP for the last ten years and heavily branded as such. It's a ploy to avoid the US connection with Amoco.

Also, the UK runs on tea, both loose and bagged.
    CIAS, if you are American and over 40, no 10 years of branding will change BP from British Petroleum. It is too late. Maybe start a poll on the Dope to get a larger sample.

Did you know AT&T is not AT&T anymore but actually one of the baby bells bought it out in the last few years and took the Acronym and stock ticker letter? (T) I don't expect you to know that. So why would the average American keep track of what BP officially calls itself.

As to the teabaggers, I meant the weird extremely right-wing political branch of the Republican party, sorry about that, no reason for you to know about these nutters.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As to the teabaggers, I meant the weird extremely right-wing political branch of the Republican party, sorry about that, no reason for you to know about these nutters.
    I know who boths sets of Teabaggers are. Then again, the thought of Sarah Palin playing an online FPS with a bunch of foul mouthed 14 year olds is quite amusing.

So has Obama shown more emotion over the last week or so, done some fist banging, furrowed his brow, talked really nasty etc etc.

Registered
    Mar 2009

So has Obama shown more emotion over the last week or so, done some fist banging, furrowed his brow, talked really nasty etc etc.
    Without access to the First Boudoir, I can't speak for fist banging or talking nasty (), but publicly it has been more of the same reserve.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Talking

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Yeah, too bad we don't have a President who would clap BP on the back and say something like "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."
    I say that to my first BM of the day - every day!

thanks

Quasi
    Please visit my Dementia/Depression Blog at http://www.wheretobud.blogspot.com Because of troll activity, it is now by invitation only. So if you'd like to read, please PM me, thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Quasi View post
    I say that to my first BM of the day - every day!

thanks

Quasi
    Love you, Quasi.

...thanks for dropping by.

^^^and I say that to my first BM of the day!

find me at Goodreads

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was going to post in this thread, but: I'm not sure how to top what just went by.

And no, that's not what I say to my first BM of the day.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And now they're clutching their pearls because he said something about "kicking some ass" on TV.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...ies-the-office
    Last edited by Katriona; 09 Jun 2010 at 02:23 PM.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Quote Originally posted by Katriona View post
    And now they're clutching their pearls because he said something about "kicking some ass" on TV.
    Ketching some bass?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Muffin View post
    Ketching some bass?
    Kvetching some....ah, I got nuthin'!

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

B. HUSSEIN Obama is clearly looking for any excuse to stop domestic oil drilling in order to help his fellow Muslims in Iraq and Alqaedistan.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    B. HUSSEIN Obama is clearly looking for any excuse to stop domestic oil drilling in order to help his fellow Muslims in Iraq and Alqaedistan.

you win the thread.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Some reports are saying Obama was comparing the Oil Spill to 9/11? Did he?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Out of context it could be made to sound bad.

In context I think you will agree with his statement:

He said that in the same way 9/11 has dominated foreign policy since it happened, the Gulf disaster will frame how America sees the environment and energy for years.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Out of context it could be made to sound bad.

In context I think you will agree with his statement:
    Yes, but I think it was unnecessary for him to follow it up with a $5,000,000 reward for finding David Cameron "dead or alive".

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Yes, but I think it was unnecessary for him to follow it up with a $5,000,000 reward for finding David Cameron "dead or alive".
    True, true.

+ Reply to thread