+ Reply to thread

Thread: I'm crabby as hell and I'm gonna rant.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default I'm crabby as hell and I'm gonna rant.

Item 1: 3-year-olds and Potty Training. People, learn from me. I have made this mistake TWICE, because I am a dumbass. The first time, sure, I'd never had a kid before, never potty trained before, and didn't realize that I was waiting too long. This time I have no excuse. NO. EXCUSE. I waited until the kid was 3, and he went from being a sweet, compliant, eager-to-please toddler to a stubborn, impossible preschooler practically overnight. So now, instead of someone who wants to do what I ask him to do, I have someone whose favorite word is NO. Who has temper tantrums if he doesn't get his way. Who would apparently rather pee in his pantsthan make his mother happy.

Item 2: 5-year-olds and Personal Responsibility. I am planning a trip to my daughter's school this week, so I can root through the lost & found to see if I can find any of the 3...yes THREE jackets that have not come home with her this spring (plus a hat and two sets of mittens, but I'm considering those a lost cause). Please tell me why, if it gets too warm in the afternoon you would not just stuff the thing in your backpack? The kid has a FULL-SIZED backpack, and she's in kindergarten. The only thing in there is her lunchbox and a water bottle, so there is easily enough room for all her other crap. Why does she not put it in there? What is so hard about this? And, conversely, why do some things, when put in there, disappear into a black hole? I just found a birthday invitation in between a bunch of stuff she brought home from school, on her little table at home. The party was last Saturday. Oh, well, I'll bet it was fun. Too bad you missed it. :Shake::Shake:

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The answer: Condoms.

How are condoms going to help when the kids are already here, you ask? Simple: 1) Place condom all the way over child's head. (you'll be amazed how stretchy they really are) 2) Poke small breathing hole over each nostril (note: NOT mouth). 3) Profit!
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks...I'm willing to try anything!
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 26 May 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

1) Potty Training: Argh!!! Been there. Second was worse than the first. Please note for us the boy was also younger.
    2) 5-year-olds and Personal Responsibility, sorry Sarah, just is not going to happen. They will continue to lose stuff in all probability for many more years.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    rather pee in his pantsthan make his mother happy.
    I'm still going through that myself, let me know if you come up with a solution. I have to go get some new pants.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Who would apparently rather pee in his pantsthan make his mother happy.
    This item, when properly used, will prevent that from happening.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clothahump View post
    This item, when properly used, will prevent that from happening.
    Ha ha! Well, I'd hate to cut off circulation to his...um...vital organ!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, I almost forgot. Item 3: I lived through almost 5 years commuting through HORRIBLE highway construction. I lived for the day that it would be over, the road would be widened, the toll booths reconfigured, and my life would be improved about 1 million percent. And...they finally finished, and for 6 months, it was wonderful. 6 glorious months. Then, 1 month ago, they started resurfacing another expressway. The one that has a junction with the one I take...just about 2 miles after my exit. The backup is now worse than it ever was.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Disposable diapers and underpants lead to late and unhappy potty training, IMHO. Yes, I'm an old fogey, and proud of it. The kids just don't get uncomfortable.

It's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Amendment, which just disproves my stupid theory: my oldest son was a brute to potty train and my youngest was potty trained before he was 2. So I know no more than anyone else.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Mar 2009

I agree, vison, I'm doing everything I can not to put him in those pull-up things! I'm making him wear regular underpants whenever he's not asleep or at daycare, and it's going a little better.

Registered
    Apr 2009

My son was NOTORIOUS for waiting to do everything until he was confident he could do it well. (My sister caught him quietly saying names of animals to himself when he was a toddler and wouldn't say much. Sure enough, a few weeks later he started talking in sentences. Don't even get me started on getting him to walk.) So naturally he was reluctant to potty train. Since he did wear cloth diapers, when he was coming up on 3 years old, I decided to start hand-knitting wool covers for him, to save a few bucks and just because I could. Sure enough, as soon as he had lovingly hand-crafted diaper covers, he up and decided to use the potty.

He's just contrariwise like that; I try to roll with it. He also loses stuff like crazy, so I feel your pain there!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sarah, you remember when I was toilet training Caileigh, and she shit her pants and when questioned why, stamped her foot and shouted, "Because I'm ANGRY with you!" *sigh*. Yeah. Been there.

In fact, I think YOU might have been the person to suggest underpants, or underpants under the diaper, to make it feel icky instead of pull-ups. That really did help a lot.

You know what finally solved it totally? Preschool. Damn little princess was accident free from the first day. Of course, she still insists I wipe her little princess butt at home, but I know they don't do it at school. (If I refuse at home, we have Hershey streaks in the undies. Ew!)

As for the construction, I likewise feel your pain. I'm avoiding that stretch of road for the next...ever.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Artifex, my daughter was the same way as your son...she talked a bit later than average, but when she started talking she pronounced every word per-fect-ly! She never wanted to say anything until she could say it just right. And she did the same thing where she went from a few words to complete sentences seemingly overnight.

WhyNot, you are right, I think I DID give you that advice! ha ha. I got my daughter trained the same way you did...preschool did the trick. It was actually kind of amazing. So...I figure if I don't get him all the way there, I'll send him to preschool in the fall and he'll figure it out. We have been putting him in underpants whenever he's not at daycare or sleeping, and that is helping. Actually, what really helped was when I said, "look, honey, could you do me a favor and try not to pee in your pants?" Weirdly, that worked better than just reminding him that the pee goes in the potty! At least, he's learning to hold it now, although putting it in the potty when it's time is still hit or miss.

God, I hate potty training!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Dupe.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 27 May 2010 at 08:25 PM.

+ Reply to thread