+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do I find the product key for a pre-installed version of Microsoft Works?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How do I find the product key for a pre-installed version of Microsoft Works?

Hi. I bought a new computer, it came with various programs pre-installed, including Microsoft Works. When I open Microsoft Works it asks me for the product key, which it says I should be able to find on the CD case, or among the download information. Well, I didn't download it and there is no CD case, it was already on the computer. Apparently without entering the key I can use the product a limited number of times then I won't be able to anymore.

It's Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

(And please don't tell me how I should be using some other program or operating system, or I should get a Mac or whatever. This is what I have and for various reasons I don't want to get into I need to use it).

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The preinstalled versions are just a sample. You have to buy a license to use it more than a few times or to get full use of all features. There is probably some very fine print in the manual that came with your computer that says as much.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The manual is almost completely about hardware, there's nary a word about software.

I don't have a problem with buying a license but it wasn't real obvious to me how I would do that. Let me have another couple of beers and take another crack at it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Is there not a link in the window that tells you how many uses you have.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Try Belarc Advisor or SiSoft Sandra Lite (Filehippo) they should root out the key for you.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myglaren View post
    Try Belarc Advisor or SiSoft Sandra Lite (Filehippo) they should root out the key for you.
    If the key had been entered, the program wouldn't be asking for it.

OP: Are you sure you didn't get a Works CD or a COA (certificate of authenticity) with the computer? If it's from a large OEM like Dell or HP, it should have been pre-activated, but if you bought it from a Mom and Pop shop, they might have forgotten.

Your best bet is to call the OEM and let them figure it out.

And Works is usually included for "free" with a new PC. It's Microsoft Office that comes in a trial version.

+ Reply to thread