+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mellophant Music Trivia - Sign up!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Mellophant Music Trivia - Sign up!

I'm going to be running the next trivia game which will be an all-music edition. It will cover pop/rock from the last 50 years, though, very American charts-centric because that's what I know about.

It'll be five rounds, with the game play being almost the same as Myrna's was (assigned questions + PM runoff), with extra non-assigned "guess the song by the 5 second clip" bonus questions that will be worth extra points. Some people were worried that my trivia would be too hard, and I decided that the sound clips are actually kind of hard, so they're bonus questions.

First (and second, depending on how many people sign up) prize will be something music related TBD based on the winner's preferences.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sign me up please.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 17 May 2010 at 11:01 AM.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In! (and thanks!)
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I will fail SPECTACULARLY. Yay!

Registered
    Apr 2009

Me! I will be terrible, because I have amazing gaps in my music knowledge.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Me Me Me! I wanna play!!!
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Me Me Me! I wanna play!!!
    Here's a warmup.

----------------------------

0.1 - Cluricaun

Better: Joey Belladonna 'Thrax or John Bush 'Thrax?

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Trick question. The only real Anthrax is with Joey. John Bush, formerly of Armored Saint, fronted a popular Anthrax cover band in the mid to late 1990's that's notable for actually containing most of the actual band Anthrax.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sounds good.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm game. Though from Cluricaun's example, I don't think I've got a good shot at this.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Trick question. The only real Anthrax is with Joey. John Bush, formerly of Armored Saint, fronted a popular Anthrax cover band in the mid to late 1990's that's notable for actually containing most of the actual band Anthrax.
    Nonsense. Joey Belladonna helped the future members of Anthrax record four album-length demos designed to attract the attention of one of the five best singers in metal, John Bush. The fact that several of those demos were fine albums in their own right (i.e. full of better songs than the Bush-era albums) is just gravy.

On a peripherally related note, one of the coolest concert experiences of my life was seeing Helmet on the Size Matters tour in 2005. It was a 300-seat club, and the lineup for the tour included Frankie Bello on bass and John Tempesta (White Zombie, Testament, Slayer) on drums. It was crazy to see those guys six feet away from me on a stage small enough that I could have spit into John's kick drum from where I stood.

Page Hamilton, between songs, noted that most of the girls in the crowd were in front of the other guitarist (Chris Traynor). Then he looked at the crowd in front of himself and said "Meanwhile, I got all the DUUUUUUUDES!!!" Pause. "And they're all wondering what kind of strings I use." Another pause. "Dean Markley Blue Steels, 11-52."

That's a man who knows his audience.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Point of order: I hereby state that OCS should be disqualified from participation in said trivia contest based on evidence contained in his last post that positively proves that:

A. He smokes crack, and;
    B. Despite evidence provided to him not even two weeks ago that categorically proves that the track “Imitation of Life” from Anthrax’s 1987 release “Among the Living” is the greatest track ever released by the band, which at the time featured the one true lead singer, one Mr. Joseph Belladonna, he is incapable of making a sound decision regarding things musical.

It is further stipulated based off of his last post that it can be assumed that he also believes that Blaze Bailey was a better lead vocalist of Iron Maiden than Bruce Dickenson and quite possibly believes that Tim “Ripper” Owens was a better lead vocalist of Judas Priest than Rob Halford.

I rest my case.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Point of order: I hereby state that OCS should be disqualified from participation in said trivia contest based on evidence contained in his last post that positively proves that:

A. He smokes crack, and;
    B. Despite evidence provided to him not even two weeks ago that categorically proves that the track “Imitation of Life” from Anthrax’s 1987 release “Among the Living” is the greatest track ever released by the band, which at the time featured the one true lead singer, one Mr. Joseph Belladonna, he is incapable of making a sound decision regarding things musical.
    I was with you this far. Reasonable minds can disagree. I mean, Anthrax's best single song is "Room For One More," but I'm willing to stipulate that "Imitation of Life" is one of many, many great Anthrax songs pre-ruined sung by helium boy Belladonna before the Bush era.

It is further stipulated based off of his last post that it can be assumed that he also believes that Blaze Bailey was a better lead vocalist of Iron Maiden than Bruce Dickenson and quite possibly believes that Tim “Ripper” Owens was a better lead vocalist of Judas Priest than Rob Halford.

I rest my case.
    But this is just a fucked up thing to say. We are so not friends now. :Shake:

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    But this is just a fucked up thing to say. We are so not friends now. :Shake:
    Fine. Good. Maybe you and John Bush can go out for ice cream and have a monotone conversation together then. Hope the ice cream shop isn't more than 3 feet away though, considering that Mr. Bush hasn't the range to go any farther.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think I have one question that is at all related to metal. Note: I glazed over reading the last several posts.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just a head's up, first round goes live on Monday at noon.

Anyone else that wants to play, please sign in here before Sunday.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm in!

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

i can't guarantee to answer every question, as time zone differences and not having my own poota might make that difficult. but yeah, i'll give it a shot!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll give it a try, although I am pop-culture deficient, and will undoubtedly make a fool of myself even though I'm a musician.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so in! When's it start?

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

OK I play.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    I'm so in! When's it start?
    This coming Monday.

+ Reply to thread