Poll results: Sexy Wedding Dresses: Yea or Nay?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea: If ya got it, flaunt it.

9 52.94%
  • Nay. Inappropriate. For heaven's sake, Grandma's going to be there!

8 47.06%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sexy wedding dresses: Yea or Nay?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Back to the OP, I vote Nay in a big way. Sex is the spice of life in the right place and time. In this context the nicest word I can come up with is sleaze.

As previously noted, you are appearing before both families for a family ceremony. Personally I wouldn't want to give my maiden aunt damp panties by parading around in sexy and revealing clothes in front of her. And for sure I wouldn't want to educate my little neice about the male bod. Any girl who didn't feel the same way probably isn't someone I want to hang out with.

Besides I haven't lost enough brain cells to get married anyway.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jaglavak View post
    Besides I haven't lost enough brain cells to get married anyway.
    :: trudges back in ::
    Not to imply that everyone who gets married is somehow brain damaged. It's just not my cuppa tea, is all.
    :: slinks away ::

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am way more conventional (stuffy) than anyone else here, I think. IMO, in societal rites of passage such as marriage, not everything goes. This is my opinion. YMMV.

I think all the dresses are horrid. Trashy, vulgar, inappropriate and sleazy to boot. That Russian one is beyond words. BUT--if it is common (and since when did something commonly done make it right? but I digress) in that culture, it's not my business to say nay. I don't quite understand what the women are attempting to say or express with these gowns. Choices are made for reasons--conscious or not. Since I am not privy to the motivations behind the choices these women made, I have to make my judgment guided by my values, experience and preferences. (yes, one could say why judge at all? but we all judge, all day, every day, about people we see and interact with. We can't not judge.) And in my judgment, these gowns are not something I would choose or approve of for my daughter. A future daughter in law? I'd bite my tongue bloody...

Which is not to say I think that all brides need to be in white, long sleeves etc. I think if you want to get married in Star Trek costumes, jeans and flannel shirts, a simple sun-dress etc, go for it (I don't want to come to your ST wedding, though). Hell, elope with my blessing--if you need it. We had a fairly simple wedding, and I think those are best. No one needs a Last Day of Pompeii wedding, so don't think I am advocating for that end of the spectrum either.

But the ceremony being witnessed by friends and family is one of marriage-the blending of two families (or more), as well as societally approved sexual access to one another. The white gown does NOT signify virginity or sexual inexperience; it symbolizes inexperience in marriage. Wedding gowns, hell, regular clothes, should flatter the wearer and (yes) be pleasing to those who have to look upon the wearer-none of those gowns match either criteria for me.

We notice ill fitting clothes on others, clashing colors, mismatched plaids etc. Fair or not, women are judged when their cleavage is too low for convention, their heels too high, their skirts too short. As has been said, there is a hooker look. People's jobs are often defined by their clothes; certainly their roles in ceremonies are--as an aside, this is the reason it's a gaffe for another woman to wear white to a Western wedding. That may be dying out these days, but it was a social solecism when I got married (and an ex-GF of my husband showed up in a white tea length gown--beaded. Highly inappropriate and provocative, at least for me).

When the wearer is the center of attention, such as a bride, expectations are higher and that "public" needs to be considered. Considered, not allowed to dictate (although many churches and places of worship do dictate what a bride can wear*. I was not allowed to wear an off the shoulder gown. Other churches are even more stringent). Given that this is a blending of families etc, if the happy couple is going to deviate from convention , I just hope that both sides know this couple well and understand their choices. I am not saying the gowns should not be worn (although I feel they are a poor choice), I'm saying that if a bride decides to wear something like them, she needs to be aware that she will face open disapproval, questions and even rude comments (which are inexcusable, but I'm being realistic).

I have to agree with artifex: on aesthetics alone, those are skirt mullets (great phrase, btw). They are not flattering to the women and I am left with this thought: WHY does your wedding dress have to be sexy? What purpose does that serve?

There's a lot here. My bottom line? Tolerance is not the same as approval. I don't approve of those gowns, but tolerance dictates that I accept them. Somehow, I doubt they're all that popular (could be totally wrong about that). :smile:

*AFAIK, there is no restriction on what the groom wears--which is another whole thread on its own.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby View post
    I am way more conventional (stuffy) than anyone else here, I think. IMO, in societal rites of passage such as marriage, not everything goes. This is my opinion. YMMV.
    You are probably not more conventional than I am. So, at least we have each other.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There should be a lot more pics of skanky brides here.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    There should be a lot more pics of skanky brides here.
    I wholeheartedly endorse this sentiment.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, my first thought was that high in front and long in back is not an attractive dress look. That being said, it's their wedding and they can wear what they want. If they have an open bar I may even grow to like their choice. And if the dress is unflattering or communicates something icky, well, they'll just have to live with it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My Wedding.

Sarahfeena's Wedding.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't understand either of those pictures.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Feena, how expensive was it holding your wedding in inky blackness?
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    You were pretty drunk.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post

My Wedding.

Sarahfeena's Wedding.
    Wile both of those bride's are nice looking women, if a little on the pleasantly plump side. The top dress fits with the bride's figure wile the second dress does not.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Is gay marriage legal in your state? Let's get hitched! Hell, I'm such a prude, I didn't throw a garter at my wedding. I did wear one and my husband took it off much later--in private.

I don't understand either one of those pics, either and furthermore, I don't want to. In the bottom pic, were their "clothes" spraypainted on?

And seriously, what happens when Babushka stands up straight?

IMO, the wedding gown offers a great deal of room for displaying bad judgement and questionable taste. Then again, insisting on correctness is every aspect of a wedding is stuffy as hell....

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby View post
    Is gay marriage legal in your state? Let's get hitched! Hell, I'm such a prude, I didn't throw a garter at my wedding. I did wear one and my husband took it off much later--in private.
    I got you beat...I didn't even wear one! (Actually, I did wear a garter belt...it would have been pretty interesting if I'd tried to throw that, lol.) There is no way I ever would have thrown a garter at my wedding...that's SO not my style.

I don't understand either one of those pics, either and furthermore, I don't want to. In the bottom pic, were their "clothes" spraypainted on?
    Those look to me like some kind of Second Life avatars or something, but not sure what's going on with that dress.

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    I don't see anything wrong with sexy wedding dressed, per se - however, I'd prefer for them to be classy as well as sexy - the first two dresses pictured her seem a bit too racy for me to accept as being classy, and so I'm not all that comfortable with them. The third dress is a bit more borderline - and could be classy, or otherwise, depending on the bride's body language. The fourth does strike me as classy, as well as sexy, and I'd approve it wholeheartedly
    I think these dresses can only be used by good body shape brides. my bride is bit healthy so I need to look at some other options now

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hadn't seen this thread before now. I'm a traditionalist at heart. Wedding dresses should be classy, beautiful and romantic, not in-your-face sexy.

That's what the bride should be wearing on her wedding night.

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by BrentBrady View post
    Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    I don't see anything wrong with sexy wedding dressed, per se - however, I'd prefer for them to be classy as well as sexy - the first two discount wedding dresses pictured her seem a bit too racy for me to accept as being classy, and so I'm not all that comfortable with them. The third dress is a bit more borderline - and could be classy, or otherwise, depending on the bride's body language. The fourth does strike me as classy, as well as sexy, and I'd approve it wholeheartedly
    I think these dresses can only be used by good body shape brides. my bride is bit healthy so I need to look at some other options now
    Anybody else with good dresses taste?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hell nay!
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

+ Reply to thread