+ Reply to thread

Thread: Off board mafia/diplomacy/other cool stuff hybrid game

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Off board mafia/diplomacy/other cool stuff hybrid game

So, it won't start for a bit, and it's not actually mafia...but the long awaited Malazan Book of the Fallen game that Hoopy, Rysto, MHaye and I have been developing for the better part of two years is finally ready to see the light of Day.

I am hoping that any of you who play mafia here will head over and check out a game that is a bit different. It's not mafia in the most traditional sense, but I think it should be a blast.

If you haven't played in a while (Malacandra I am looking at you) or were tempted to join but weren't sure you wanted to play, we want you! This game is going to be so different that we think everyone will be on an equal footing.

Signups and a little intro are here:

http://idlemafia.com/index.cgi?board...ay&thread=1349

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What is the time commitment? Is it a daily check in or faster? If Daily, does Friday to Sunday count as one day (in other words only 5 games days/turns per week).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Could be interesting - thanks (although I hate, and suck at, Mafia games generally).

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    What is the time commitment? Is it a daily check in or faster?
    Honestly, I don't know.

Here's the thing, it's not really mafia. It's a game that vaguely resembles mafia, but is probably closer to diplomacy than it is mafia. It was created by players in a mafia group and started out as an idea for mafia so we call it mafia, but it is it's own thing at this point.

The idea, in rough sketch form, is that instead of having two teams of town and scum, everyone starts off playing for their own win and eventually forms their own teams. We have devised (read: stolen and then significantly altered) a mechanic called clans in order to make this work. But beyond the mechanics that make the game work (Day and Night cycles, methods of removing other players from the game, clanning, powers) the game is a sandbox. It's totally what the players make of it. We aren't placing any restrictions on how you can play the game.

So more participation is always good, but you can probably get by checking in 4-5 times a week, I think. We expect the game to last somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks, but we aren't totally sure about that since a lot of our estimates are based on how we expect players to do things, but we haven't tried this yet so people might do different stuff.

The game cycle will consist of 2 phases, a Day and a Night (like mafia) During the Day there will be a lynch, like mafia. There will be game mechanic driven reasons for wanting a lynch, like mafia. At Night you don't have a lynch, but otherwise it's the same as Day. Some people have powers that work at Day only, some at Night only, some anytime. Everyone has a power of some sort.

Days will last 96 hours, Nights 72 hours. So you could theoretically only pop in once every 3 days or so and be fine. We hope you won't do this, but it's possible.

I am very excited about it, but I understand not everyone will like the game, and it's even possible that the game won't work. We have worked on it for about 2 years now, so it will be disappointing if it doesn't, but this is in many ways a proof of concept game, so there may still be bugs.

Feel free to ask me as many questions as you like if you are on the fence about joining. There will also be more information being posted as we get closer to game start, so keep an eye on the thread I linked.
    Last edited by NAF1138; 07 May 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Game looks good NAF, I just wish I had time to play it
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm going to pass but it looks interesting. Have fun and it looks like you are getting the sign-ups needed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yup, it looks like you've already got all the players you need, but in any event I'm out. Thanks anyway.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well we could always use more players but I won't twist anyone's arm. Shame that you can't play Cat, I think this will be right up your ally, but we do plan on running the setup again in the future if this first game works out, so there will be other chances.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138 View post
    Well we could always use more players but I won't twist anyone's arm. Shame that you can't play Cat, I think this will be right up your ally, but we do plan on running the setup again in the future if this first game works out, so there will be other chances.
    I have problems staying away from games I am in to the detriment of all else. Me, a mafia Junkie, oh hell yes, and trying to stay cold turkey.

If you get short by one or two, then I may be up for it, but I could really not dedicate the time that the game would probably demand. Just if you need to kick the game off or need a sub to keep it running. Consider arm duly twisted.

PS: I'm terrible at Diplomacy.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    I have problems staying away from games I am in to the detriment of all else. Me, a mafia Junkie, oh hell yes, and trying to stay cold turkey.

If you get short by one or two, then I may be up for it, but I could really not dedicate the time that the game would probably demand. Just if you need to kick the game off or need a sub to keep it running. Consider arm duly twisted.

PS: I'm terrible at Diplomacy.
    Good then, I will let MHaye know you are in for subing.

+ Reply to thread