+ Reply to thread

Thread: What are some excellent Fire Fox and Google Chrome Add-ons and why?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What are some excellent Fire Fox and Google Chrome Add-ons and why?

Just what the title says list your add-ons, what browser and why you like it.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's astonishing how often I find myself using this "Image Zoom" extension in Firefox. Just click on an image and scroll up or down to make it bigger or smaller. It especially helps when people post table-busting images here in chate. Anyway, it doesn't sound like it would be all that useful but every time I use anyone else's computer I wish I had it.

I also like Tab Mix Plus, which allows one to modify how tabs are handled in various ways. But my need for it has diminished over time, since tab handling has gradually gotten better in the browser itself.

I do still use Web Developer frequently, in order to do web developer-y tasks. It's good for when you find yourself needing to examine a website's stylesheet or whatever.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I use AdBlock for Chrome, as well as Firefox, and Invisible Hand (which tells you if what you're looking at can be found for a cheaper price somewhere else on the intarwebs).

AdBlock Plus is really cool for places like Comedy Central and South Park Studios, since it nukes all the commercials!

(Of course, my primary browser is Opera, and I only use Chrome and FF for sites where Opera doesn't have the same capabilities at adblocking.)
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I use feedly a lot for Chrome. If you already have an RSS reader it may not be as useful but it also has my twitter feed and stuff so I like it. (For those of you not familiar with RSS, I can put a website into feedly and then every day I check feedly to see which sites have updates. Very useful for comics and whatnot.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bump for Monday

Registered
    Feb 2009

Firefox for me. I too am a big AdBlock user, and I get a lot of milage out of Greasemonkey and it's associated add ons to enhance lots of sites that I visit (Facebook being a huge one). I have a Photobucket one that allows me to right click on images an automatically shoot them into my Photobucket account too.

And I don't know if this is a no-no, but there might be one that would allow you to download YouTube videos into MP3 or MP4 formats and it might work with Last.fm and Pandora too.

Cooliris is just neat looking, it allows you to put image searches into a huge scrolling 3-D wall that just looks like something from the future. It's not exactly useful all the time, but it's pretty bad ass.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

AdBlock, Greasemonkey (including scripts like Facebook Purity and Ft4U (supresses comments on youtube), Leechblock (basically my border collie to keep me from wasting too much time on work days), Morning Coffee (opens all my 10 or so regular sites in tabs at once), TrackmeNot, Colorful Tabs, Firesomething, Stop Autoplay, Splitbrowser, Researchword. Also liked the "Unofficial Google Translate" one but it's not compatible with the new version yet.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Firefox user here. I have Chrome installed, but don't use it that much because the AdBlock extension sucks. I'm warming to Opera, but without AdBlock it's pretty pointless.

My favorite Firefox extensions are:

AdBlock Plus - This is the one extension I *must* have. I won't surf the Internet without it. End of.

Save File To - My second favorite extension, Save File To allows you to save files and\or images to a predetermined set of folders on your computer. For example, if I see a picture I'd like to save, I just right-click it and choose "Save Image To" > "Pictures", thus bypassing the native FF save dialog entirely. Another nice touch - it adds a drop-down box to the Run\Save dialog in FF, so you can just choose, say, "Desktop, and the file is saved there. Why this isn't the default behavior in FF is a mystery to me.

Extended Copy Menu - Adds "Copy as Plain Text" and "Copy as HTML" options to the FF context menu. This is neat because it's easier to "Copy Plain Text" in Firefox than it is to "Paste Special" in Microsoft Word or the visual editor in WordPress.

QuickJava - Adds a row of buttons to the status bar that allow you to toggle Java, JavaScript, Flash, Silverlight, images and CSS on or off. I mostly use it for sites that disable right-clicking so you can't save images (like IMDB), but it also comes in handy on occasion.

Link Alert - Changes the cursor to indicate the file type of a link. If you hover your mouse over a link to a PDF, for instance, it changes the FF cursor to a PDF icon. It's neat because it lets you know in advance, visually, what you're about to click on. Supports lots of file types, too.

FlashGot - Downloads Flash videos from websites with varying degrees of success. Adds an icon to the status bar that you can click on to download whatever video you're playing on the screen. The neat thing is that if FlashGot doesn't work, it'll probably be a big pain in the ass to download the video by other means, too... so you can save time by not trying to download it via script or third-party downloader or what have you.

DownThemAll - Downloads either all embedded objects on a page, or every link on the page. This is great for non-PHP photo galleries. If, for example, your main sexual fetish is small breasted redheaded girls in glasses and garter belts smoking cigars, and you happen across a thread at /s/ with 100+ pictures of the same, you can download all those pics with two mouse clicks.

Coral IE Tab - IE Tab was an extension that allowed you to use the Internet Explorer rendering engine within Firefox. This was handy for all the sites that are IE-only. However, it seems that the original IE Tab has been abandoned. Coral IE Tab does everything the original did, with two great extras: if allows you to swap cookies between IE and FF sessions, and also allows AdBlock Plus to work on IE tabs within Firefox. Many of my clients have Microsoft's Small Business Server product, which includes Remote Web Workplace and Outlook Web Access, both of which work better in IE than FF. Coral IE Tab lets me use IE within FF for those sites.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

WTH?!?! Duplicate?!?
    Last edited by tunaman; 26 Apr 2010 at 11:24 PM.

+ Reply to thread