+ Reply to thread

Thread: Marathon running

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Marathon running

It's the London Marathon this weekend as thousands of people turn up to run round the streets for 26 miles whether to race, raise money for charity or just to say they did it.

So, how many people here have run a marathon, how much training did you do and was it worth it?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have never run a marathon, but someone needs to answer this thread...

I am not all that interested in spectator sports, but I do like marathons. I went to Wellesley College in the late 1970s and the Boston marathon went right by my dorm window! It was very cool and we used to cheer our lungs out for all the runners. I don't know if the route has changed or the enthusiasm has, but in those days the runners always said they got a burst of energy running by the college.

I ran a 5k race once, but it was one of those "race for the cure" sorts of things where the point is simply to complete the route and no one keeps track of your time. Guess that doesn't count, huh? If I had the time I could just maybe barely envision myself training for a 1/2 marathon, but even that's highly unlikely. I've never even wanted to run a full marathon, it's way too hard on your body.

CatInASuit, have you ever run a marathon? Or wanted to?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nope, I have never run a marathon or even really thought about going in for one. But ,the sight of several thousand people all running around the streets of London does make me wonder how hard it could be.

The answer is probably very.

In my current state, I very much doubt I complete a half marathon, let alone a full one. Not to mention that I don't think I would have the patience or willpower to go through all the training to build up for it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've ran a half marathon a few times back when I was in the Army. Any time there was a fundraising charity run the battalion and company CO's would push for the long distance runners to "volunteer". It makes them look good to the general staff the more of their people run. I prefer the 10k, I could set a pace and keep it up the whole 6 mi. And feel great all day afterward. A half marathon was just to long for me, the last mile and a half took everything I had unless I walked part of the way. And took days to recover. These days I don't even run to the bathroom I plan ahead.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    ,the sight of several thousand people all running around the streets of London does make me wonder how hard it could be.

The answer is probably very.
    Well, there is "hard" in the "willpower" sense of hard (that is, continuing when your body is going "stop, please, I wanna rest" but if you insist it will keep on going for you) and "hard" in the sense of "it's too harsh on your systems, and it actually damages your body."

I can't remember everything I've read on the topic, but I've always come away with the feeling that if you train properly, are in good health, and prepare/pace yourself during the race, running an occasional marathon won't necessarily hurt you.

But now I just found this article though - I wish I hadn't read it just before exercising.

But I only run 3-5k, so it doesn't apply. No marathons for me, though!

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My dad ran a marathon a few years ago. I think he did it in about 5ish hours? I'm not sure. What I am sure about is almost every single man crossed the finish line with bleeding nipples. No thank you. I will not be running any marathons.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

+ Reply to thread