+ Reply to thread

Thread: Multiple officials killed traveling together

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Multiple officials killed traveling together

I'm sure everybody has heard of the plane crash in Russia that killed a staggering number of Polish officials.

You frequently hear about policies stating that certain members of governments or royal families aren't allowed to travel together - especially by plane - in order to avoid them being killed all at once.

Now what I wonder is whether there have been earlier cases where something similar actually happened, even if possibly on a smaller scale. Were those policies inspired by any actual events?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm unaware of any other instance like this before (and searching only yields massive amounts of articles on the Polish disaster now), but I wouldn't be surprised if countries that don't have a policy against certain officials traveling together will have one now and cite this incident.

If it has happened before, I hope one of our history buffs can enlighten us.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The thing that's been worrying me all along has been the parallels between what happened to the Polish government and the triggering incident for the racial violence in Rwanda in the 1990s: The shooting down of the Presidential plane carrying the Rwandan President and the President of neighboring Burundi.

Obviously that wasn't the sole stress, but it served to set off a huge powderkeg.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    The thing that's been worrying me all along has been the parallels between what happened to the Polish government and the triggering incident for the racial violence in Rwanda in the 1990s: The shooting down of the Presidential plane carrying the Rwandan President and the President of neighboring Burundi.

Obviously that wasn't the sole stress, but it served to set off a huge powderkeg.
    Yeah, but Rwanda and Burundi are a really far cry from Poland. Poland's a stable, functional democracy that's reasonably well off and part of the international community.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I know it's a bit overdrawn a comparison. Worries, alas, don't always listen to reasonable little details like those.

+ Reply to thread