+ Reply to thread

Thread: Have you ever had a Kinder Surprise?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Have you ever had a Kinder Surprise?

Apparently they're illegal in the USA.

They are chocolate eggs with a shell inside that contains a toy.
    Fun for all the family, just don't choke on the toy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, quite a few, but that's hardly surprising.

In fact I had some for Easter this time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am a poor deprived American and have never had one. I suppose the thinking here is that children will gnaw through the shell inside and eat the toys? Oh, America.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It is true, American kids must be protected from themselves at all costs. In fact the proposal to wrap them in bubble wrap, sfatey helmets, mouthguards and feed them through a straw is wending its way through congress as we speak.

USA Kids, the new Veal!

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Illegal? Since when? Are you telling me my relatives are german kids' chocolate smugglers?
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You can get them at ethnic markets, it's not like they're as illegal as heroin or anything. They're more like illegal as lawn darts.

I think that the chocolate quality is poor and the toys tend to suck, but I've certainly had one before.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I am a poor deprived American and have never had one. I suppose the thinking here is that children will gnaw through the shell inside and eat the toys? Oh, America.
    I'll send you some in your prize!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orbo, Magnifulent View post
    I'll send you some in your prize!
    Aw. You're awesome. Is there any sort of weird American thing I can send you?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    You can get them at ethnic markets, it's not like they're as illegal as heroin or anything. They're more like illegal as lawn darts.

I think that the chocolate quality is poor and the toys tend to suck, but I've certainly had one before.
    I think the chocolate in them is really nice. I prefer to buy the little bars though than the eggs. Bueno ain't bad neither.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The same shops sell those, but I've never bought one.

I just wish there was a steady supply of Flake bars around. Those are awesome, if a little on the messy side.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've had them. They're expensive, the chocolate sucks and the toys are more likely to kill you through boredom than choking. Not one of Europe's high water marks, culturally speaking.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 09 Apr 2010 at 09:49 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I don't quite get the appeal. The chocolate tastes like the plastic inside, and the toys ... I got a plastic dog that only stands on its head. According to the little paper slip it came with, this is supposed to be some kind of cool game. It's not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Are they sending the duds to the US? The chocolate tastes fine to me but then a lot of American chocolate/candy tastes kinda rancid to me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orbo, Magnifulent View post
    Are they sending the duds to the US? The chocolate tastes fine to me but then a lot of American chocolate/candy tastes kinda rancid to me.
    Maybe it's a freshness issue. Chocolate does not suffer the indignities of time, temperature, and humidity gladly.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Never had one, and the impression I've had has been the same as most other Americans who have pointed out the poor taste of the chocolate.

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Maybe it's a freshness issue. Chocolate does not suffer the indignities of time, temperature, and humidity gladly.
    I imagine this has a lot more to do with things than initial quality of the chocolate.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Well, it's milk chocolate, and you hate milk chocolate, so I suspect that's part of the problem.

It seems to me that they used to have much cooler toys. I used to have, for example, a goose that held a crayon on its back, and a little oven on wheels that would open and shut as you rolled it along. They were very cute. Then I found Kinder Eggs again a couple years ago and was dismayed that the toys seem to be getting lamer. They seem to be heading along the same path as Cracker Jack boxes, which now have prizes that are so stupid, it'd be better to not have them at all, and save the expectation of amusement. The local foodie boutique sells them, but I never get them because they're like $2 and I know I'll just be disappointed.

Also, milk chocolate really is inferior.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    The local foodie boutique sells them, but I never get them because they're like $2 and I know I'll just be disappointed.
    Ok, that's a bit much. Here they are about $0.70 and that seems more reasonable.

I read on Wikipedia that the toys actually differ between markets. It is possible that Americans get Latin American toys and not European ones.

A friend of mine once worked at the Ferrero factory, but I think not with the eggs specifically. Workers were officially allowed to eat as much of the stuff as they wanted.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orbo View post
    Hersey's Milk Chocolate in particular is know for a sour milk taste. As that is our #1 chocolate company the rancid taste does not surprise me. I can't really comment as I don't really like any milk chocolate. I love dark chocolate and think even Hersey's Special Dark is quite tasty. If I have milk chocolate it is because it is the outside of a Snickers or Peanut Butter Cup.

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    A friend of mine once worked at the Ferrero factory, but I think not with the eggs specifically. Workers were officially allowed to eat as much of the stuff as they wanted.
    I turned down a job with Ferrero years ago. I really like their Hazel Nut Chocolate balls. (Rocher) My sister is a life long Tic Tac addict and was sorry I turned down the job.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 09 Apr 2010 at 02:43 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've had them. They're expensive, the chocolate sucks and the toys are more likely to kill you through boredom than choking. Not one of Europe's high water marks, culturally speaking.
    Yeah, that about covers it. I've had a few toys that were actually fun, but only for a few minutes after putting them together. I'd be more inclined to get them occasionally if the chocolate was any good.

(AFAIK, they are not banned in the U.S. The U.S. is where I've bought ever Kinder Egg I've had.)
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hah, nostalgia. I haven't eaten one of those in ages.

Of course, I'm mildly sick of the ads for them which have been all over the TV. That time of year, I suppose. Damn kids and their consumer power...
    Last edited by AllWalker; 12 Apr 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: fixed one spelling mistake, but probably caused 6 new ones in doing so
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Last weekend I got one of the big ones (the 10-inch ones that cost 10 Euros, which I've never seen in the states-- I think it is these large ones that are illegal here?) and the toy was awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Capybara View post
    Last weekend I got one of the big ones (the 10-inch ones that cost 10 Euros, which I've never seen in the states-- I think it is these large ones that are illegal here?) and the toy was awesome.
    Well, hell. That big, and for that much money, it should have a goddamn iPod inside.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've not seen one of these monsters. Cite?

Registered
    Mar 2009

http://madhattersneverland.blogspot....rise-maxi.html
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlightful/3181425338/

Apparently they come out at Xmas and Easter and I was in Italy at the right time. My toy was a sort of felt dart board thing with some velcro-covered felt balls to throw at it.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I got one yesterday while at the food boutique, thinking of this thread. It cost $2.09 (plus tax), and I was really hoping the toy would suck, but no. It was...I think a rabbit-eared rhino? The ears are long and paper and when you toss it into the air, it helicopters down. Damn it! :Shake: Not only is it fun (our 8yo wanted both the chocolate and the toy), it's whimsical in a way you'd pretty much never see in an American toy prize. So I have to retract my previous statement about the toys, but they're still overpriced.
    Last edited by artifex; 17 Apr 2010 at 09:33 AM.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My son loved kinder eggs when he was younger. They were easy to get in Egypt.

I think you can buy them here in Jakarta, but I'm not sure. My curiosity is piqued, though. I'm going to get one next time I'm in the grocery store, assuming I remember and they are available. I will post a report, if any.

+ Reply to thread