+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck

I am not slamming these people, nor am I trying to start a partisan discussion.

My question is this:

How did these people become the face of conservatism in America?

Really, what happened?

I want to say that it all began with Limbaugh, and his now awesome and feared wrath.

But, as a student of marketing, I cannot believe that these people do the movement any good. They are polarizing and unyielding--a seemingly self-destructive combination for a group now in the minority.

Lord, I remember when George Will was controversial.

I have even read pieces lately about how moderate Bill O'Reilly has become.

So...

Does this cluster of faces need to be broken up before the Republicans can regroup?

Does the Republican party need to "rebrand" at this point?

Do the racist undertones of the Tea Party movement play well with their core audience?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 31 Mar 2010 at 02:43 PM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ooh, I'll start. I think legislators seriously fear being called out by the Fox talking heads.

Fox has built a large and very, very vocal audience capable of making or breaking a conservative candidate.

I seriously doubt that health-care-bill voting would have been perfectly party line divided were it not for
    the scrutiny given it by Fox.

I also think the Tea Bag movement was a stunt gone horribly wrong for the Right. What was once a staged
    event is now threatening to break up the GOP, and those who created it cannot reel it in.

That said, I think there is a burgeoning moderate camp that is waiting to rebuild the party away from the
    ultra-right ultra-partisan organization it has become.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

With the excption of Palin they are all talk show host. Their job is not to support the Republican Party but to get ratings to sell adds. Bombast and extream retoric is entertaining and keeps people listening through the next break. The popularity of talk radio has led to a tail wagging the dog situation in conservitive circles. Instead of the pundits reporting on the politicans the politicans are reporting to the pundits. Till this changes there is not much hope for the 'Pubs, unless the Dem's pull it out and step on it. As for Palin, she's just stupid.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer View post
    With the excption of Palin they are all talk show host. Their job is not to support the Republican Party but to get ratings to sell adds. Bombast and extream retoric is entertaining and keeps people listening through the next break. The popularity of talk radio has led to a tail wagging the dog situation in conservitive circles. Instead of the pundits reporting on the politicans the politicans are reporting to the pundits. Till this changes there is not much hope for the 'Pubs, unless the Dem's pull it out and step on it. As for Palin, she's just stupid.
    And she's a talk show host: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_519082.html

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I'd say it started with Rush. He took the "go negative early and often, and never back off" shtick from the GOPAC playbook and ran with it. You don't need facts or to be right when you can scare your listeners into agreeing with whatever you have to say.

Also, part of what these people have in common is not just scare tactics, but they're telling a particular group of Americans that what they believe to be true, despite any facts to the contrary, is actually the truth. And making it dogmatic, to boot. You suspect the government is trying to take all your guns away? Well, uncle Rush is there to inform you that currently Congress has 47 (number pulled out of my ass and usually for Rush the same applies) bills related to guns. Government control! Fascism! Who cares what the content of the bills actually are?
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

+ Reply to thread