+ Reply to thread

Thread: Men + Florida + Makeup = SCAM

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Men + Florida + Makeup = SCAM

I could not make up something this insane, even if I was drunk. Biiiiig ass screen cap here.

Quote Originally posted by Crazy LJ Lady
    I've been buying Avon thru a local representative for years now. I've always been very happy with the products and the prices, and up until 20 minutes ago, would have recommended them to anyone. Unfortunately, I can no longer order thru a local representative as easily as I used to, so, she recommended I use the online ordering system.

Tonight, I went to the Avon online store to buy some items, and after selecting what I wanted to buy, I went to the 'check out' part. Since this was my first time to order Avon online, I had to fill in name, address, phone number. Then I get this message that said I was being assigned to a Avon representive in Florida. (I'm in Oklahoma.) What's more, I saw no place where I could fill in the name of my local Avon representative.

Two days ago, I was talking to my bank about some other business, when the teller informed me that due to increasing scams and theft from Florida, the bank would not accept any online business coming from that state. One more thing that caught my attention, the Florida Avon representative is a man, and Avon representatives are usually women. In fact, I believe Avon claims to be a company for women.

Fortunately, I never gave my credit card info to the Avon site, but I did give my real contact information. So, now I'm ultra upset that some possible scammer now has my information. And even if this is not a scammer, I'm still upset about being forced to accept someone out of state instead of the person I wanted to be my representative. And I certainly do NOT want to order makeup and skin care from a man, ever. I have Avon's 800 number, and first thing Monday morning, I plan to call them up and tell them off. This is nonsense and I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Just for clarity, I got to the site by typing avon.com in the address bar, but, I understand thats no guarantee that I wasn't redirected to a phony site.
    So ladies be warned: don't buy makeup from Revs or terrifel. They are MEN and they are in FLORIDA.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I can picture this woman in my head perfectly. She's between 45 and 60, she's white, her primary e-mail address ends with "@earthlink.net," and she wears Avon. Or wants to.

I hate my own elitism sometimes.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wonder what the bank actually said to her? Because I guarantee it wasn't, "Oh, we refuse to allow our customers to do business with people in Florida because they're all scam artists."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    I wonder what the bank actually said to her? Because I guarantee it wasn't, "Oh, we refuse to allow our customers to do business with people in Florida because they're all scam artists."
    Yeah, that's what I wondered, too. Unless it was Bob's Okie Bank and Tire Shop I don't think the teller would ever say such a bizarre thing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have to admit, I can see some of where she's coming from. ISTM that make-up, like other grooming issues, is going to be an intensely personal thing for a lot of people. And some fraction of the public is not going to be comfortable getting grooming products, or suggestions, from someone who isn't the same gender as them. Look at the resistance so many men have towards unisex hair salons. It's not just a male or female attitude.

Having said all that - to think that any company with more than about 10 employees can be successfully segregated to just one gender is batshit insane.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it's true. We are a bunch of criminals down here.

Wanna buy some eyeshadow, or maybe a nice car stereo?
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Revs View post
    No, it's true. We are a bunch of criminals down here.

Wanna buy some eyeshadow, or maybe a nice car stereo?
    I was hoping for a cheaply printed t-shirt with an offensive slogan or logo on it, but I heard Florida doesn't have any of those for sale.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Apr 2009

All I know is, I've gotten some great cosmetic advice from men working at MAC counters, and Kevyn Aucoin's books!

Oh, also, I just went to the Wikipedia page on Avon, so now I also know that she's kinda clueless about the role of men in the Avon-verse.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    This is Oklahoma we're talking about. You can pretty much believe anything you hear about Oklahoma.

Everyone in Oklahoma rides giant monitor lizards to work. Sure, I buy it!

It's legal to set women under the age of 14 on fire in Oklahoma. Probably true!

Black people in Oklahoma have to sing "Old Man River" on request to anyone who asks them. I've heard that!

Middle aged women in Oklahoma think it's attractive to smear Avon makeup all over themselves. You heard it here first!
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I was hoping for a cheaply printed t-shirt with an offensive slogan or logo on it, but I heard Florida doesn't have any of those for sale.
    Nope, gotta head over to 'Bama to get goods like that.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Revs View post
    Nope, gotta head over to 'Bama to get goods like that.
    Will they have baseball hats with nylon webbed backs, and fake dogshit on the brim? Because I really don't want to make two separate trips.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

Will they have baseball hats with nylon webbed backs, and fake dogshit on the brim? Because I really don't want to make two separate trips.
    Don't worry, I'll hook you up. I'll even waive the import tariff on the t-shirts.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is indeed a scandal. Alas, it is undeniable that Florida has been associated with fraud and gullibility ever since its discovery by a dim Spaniard looking for a magic fountain. From that inauspicious beginning, Florida has been a reliable haven for pirates, smugglers, Scientologists, dodgy real estate deals, legislative corruption, and Walt Disney. Sadly, the many honest citizens of Florida, such as Revs and myself, suffer most from these unscrupulous activities. Small wonder that the banking industry has written Florida off as a lost cause.

However, by fortuitous coincidence, I myself have recently opened a bank to address just this problem. By keeping your money in my bank, it will be instantly available if you ever need to do business in Florida. This happens all the time. What happens if the children are kidnapped, and the ransom has to be sent to Florida? Is it really worth taking the chance? PM me with your credit card information right now to open an account! Or deposit your cash directly to:

TerrBank
    c/o Integrity Partners Financial Safety Unlimited
    P.O. Box 12
    Cassadaga, FL

NOTE: Checks must be made payable to "MicroWater Holistic Wellness Supply"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    This is indeed a scandal. Alas, it is undeniable that Florida has been associated with fraud and gullibility ever since its discovery by a dim Spaniard looking for a magic fountain. From that inauspicious beginning, Florida has been a reliable haven for pirates, smugglers, Scientologists, dodgy real estate deals, legislative corruption, and Walt Disney. Sadly, the many honest citizens of Florida, such as Revs and myself, suffer most from these unscrupulous activities. Small wonder that the banking industry has written Florida off as a lost cause.

However, by fortuitous coincidence, I myself have recently opened a bank to address just this problem. By keeping your money in my bank, it will be instantly available if you ever need to do business in Florida. This happens all the time. What happens if the children are kidnapped, and the ransom has to be sent to Florida? Is it really worth taking the chance? PM me with your credit card information right now to open an account! Or deposit your cash directly to:

TerrBank
    c/o Integrity Partners Financial Safety Unlimited
    P.O. Box 12
    Cassadaga, FL

NOTE: Checks must be made payable to "MicroWater Holistic Wellness Supply"
    I've been wanting to purchase some land in south central Florida. Can we talk financing?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Black people in Oklahoma have to sing "Old Man River" on request to anyone who asks them. I've heard that!
    Ah ha ha ha ha . . .

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I can picture this woman in my head perfectly. She's between 45 and 60, she's white, her primary e-mail address ends with "@earthlink.net," and she wears Avon. Or wants to.
    You're wrong. Her ONLY email addy ends with aol.com.

This is Okie we're talking here. But you are correct in all other essentials. I would also add that she wears "coordinating outfits" that feature butterflies, birdhouses or kittens on the front (applique or knit or the dreaded puffy paint kind).

And she watches Paula Dean and writes down her recipes.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby View post
    she wears "coordinating outfits" that feature butterflies, birdhouses or kittens on the front (applique or knit or the dreaded puffy paint kind).

And Peter Pan collars! Don't forget the Peter Pan collars.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I wasn't sure what a Peter Pan collar was so I did a Google image search.

Somehow, I wouldn't have believed there were really grown women walking around in public wearing such things if it hadn't been for this picture:

This is...fashionable in some circles, I take it?

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    This is...fashionable in some circles, I take it?
    My sisters-in-law can't get enough of them.

Some days, they frighten me.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Peter Pan collars are adorable-if you are under 12. And that young woman actually can rock that collar better than some I've seen....

Not my first choice. Not my last. Not my anything...

+ Reply to thread