+ Reply to thread

Thread: There are times I find it hard to remember witchhunts are bad. (RO - schools - poor logic on Loki's part)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default There are times I find it hard to remember witchhunts are bad. (RO - schools - poor logic on Loki's part)

Phoebe Prince died this January. She was a 15 year old girl, a freshman at South Hadley High School, in Western Massachusetts. She was a new girl - having started with the South Hadley school district that fall, having emigrated with her family from Ireland.

For whatever reason, and it seems to have been rooted in relationship drama, she ended up being stalked, harrassed, and hounded - with the administration doing nothing - until she hanged herself.

Today, the DA's office in that district has made the results of its investigation public: 9 teens have been charged with a myriad of offenses, including denial of civil rights, harrassment, stalking, and in some cases statutory rape. Six of the teens will be tried as adults, and three as minors.

At the time of her death, and as recently as a month ago, the School Superintendent was saying that no one in the administration knew what was going on. The DA's statement scotches that pretty effectively.

“In reviewing this investigation, we’ve considered whether or not the actions or omissions to act by faculty, staff and administrators of the South Hadley public schools individually, or collectively, amounted to criminal behavior. In our opinion, it did not. Nevertheless, the actions or inactions of some adults at the school are troublesome.

That's right. We've got nine teenagers, who should have been being monitored, at least casually, who are now being charged for actions that took place, in part, on school grounds. We've got another girl dead.

And the total inaction by the school administration and most of the faculty?

Who gives a shit. That doesn't matter.

I bet, too, that none of the charged students come from "good families."

Obviously we're being told that school administrators have no power over anything that students in the school. So they can't be held accountable for their action or inaction for anything that the students do to each other.

Fuck that. Fuck them. Fuck all the teachers who let this go, thinking that Phoebe should just suck up and deal. Fuck the administrators who met with Phoebe's mother on two different occasions while she tried to get the intolerable situation in the school dealt with. Fuck the School Superintendent who is so far out of reach from his schools that he thought no one had ever heard about this bullying, which was found to be common knowledge within the student body.

Finally, fuck the DA for finding all these statutes that will let her hang these nine kids for being allowed to run wild, while ignoring that the responsible adults who should have been monitoring and protecting instead stood by and fiddled, while those nine teens wrapped a noose around Phoebe's neck, one strand of hemp at a time.

Seriously, now: Denial of Civil Rights?!?!?!?! I would think that any possible interpretation of that should be equally applicable to any teacher or administrator that allowed these teens do this to Phoebe. No. I really do believe, now, that the fucking DA is going for the easy solution: She can hang the kids, because that won't really rock the boat. And - like I said - I'm sure none of the kids' parents are part of the middle or upper crust in the community. But if she went against any of the teachers, staff, or even the superintendent - that might have political consequences for her.

Fuck them all.

Knowing inaction by people who have a responsibility to monitor and control the behavior of others is just as damnable as the vile actions of those teens.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh God, that is absolutely reprehensible. That poor, poor family. When the school failed to act, I wish her mother could have started homeschooling her or placed her in a charter school, but a) that isn't feasible for most families and b) it shouldn't be necessary.

How can the school administration be in the clear on this when the girl's mother met with them twice about the situation and nothing was done?

Registered
    Mar 2009

The NY Daily News piece on this is particularly interesting to me.

It doesn't surprise me at all for the parent of one of the charged girls to be saying it's all Phoebe's fault and that her daughter is being unfairly persecuted. I expect that shit.

What does surprise me is the following:
    Former prosecutor Wendy Murphy, who has been vocal about weaknesses in a proposed new Massachusetts anti-bullying law, said she was stunned that the DA "didn't have the guts" to charge the adults at the school.

"I'm just incredulous that this prosecutor would see fit to bring huge charges against the kids - which is good - but do nothing to the teachers. That juxtaposition is shocking," Murphy said.
    Which supports my own feeling that most often that any use of a charge involving the denial of civil rights what's happening is that the DA in question can't find any specific statute that covers the actions he or she needs to prosecute, and so has worked some kind of chain of logic to support that the actions worked to deny someone their civil rights. For anyone who wants an example of this, it was the basis of the Federal charges brought against the four officers involved in the Rodney King Case, after their acquittal sparked off the LA Riots. I'm not going to argue one way, or the other, about the propriety of this tool. But, if the prosecutor can make a case for the kids denying Phoebe her civil rights, when they have no official power or responsibilities (unlike the officers in the Rodney King case, BTW) why the fuck can't they make the same arguments for the staff and administration that did nothing to safeguard Phoebe?

Oh - and for anyone who's hoping to see justice from any civil suit that might be brought against these incompetent fucks?
    Referring to the Massachusetts "public duty rule" that bars schools and teachers from being sued for what students do, Murphy said of Scheibel, "because she knows they can't be sued civilly, she had an extra responsibility to charge them criminally."
    Business as usual for Massachusetts. So a girl's dead. Who gives a shit. Here. Have a show trial. We'll punish some really stupid and vile teens to satisfy the public blood lust. We'll even pass a stupid fucking law that seems to be utterly unenforceable without the action of these same staff and administration types who have turned a blind eye to bullying for decades. But we don't want to actually hold anyone with authority accountable. That might interfere with our relationship with the school unions, or the good people of the state.

And people actually wonder why I don't trust schools.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is a story of tween suicide due to bullying here in Atlanta. The mother tried to get help from school authorities to no avail, and the school authorities were found innocent of everything by a "special investigation".
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ignoring South Hadley for a moment. Let's take a look at the recent Federal case in Michigan.

A Federal Court held that a school district could be held accountable for the actions of students if they didn't take steps to actually combat the behavior.

Whether it will hold up on appeal, or not, is open to question. I doubt many in the courts give a flying fuck about the victims of bullying anyways. But it's goddamned sure that none of the fucking useless parasites claiming to care a fig for children do.

The district's attorney, however, says the verdict puts schools in the tricky position of being held liable for student behavior.

The district plans to appeal.

"You're never going to completely stop kids from being mean to kids," said Timothy Mullins of Giamarco, Mullins and Horton of Troy.
    We can't stop all of it, so we aren't going to do a goddmaned thing.

Besides, it's just misfits, anyways. Who needs them? They're gay, fat, smart, nerdy, shy, clumsy, quiet, lesbian, don't put out, have too much sex, talk too loudly, wear glasses, wear contacts, diabetic. Who needs those freaks anyways?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    Besides, it's just misfits, anyways. Who needs them? They're gay, fat, smart, nerdy, shy, clumsy, quiet, lesbian, don't put out, have too much sex, talk too loudly, wear glasses, wear contacts, diabetic. Who needs those freaks anyways?
    There seems to be a Slate article out this week claiming that Phoebe Prince was suffering mental illness, and therefore the charges against her tormentors are overblown and it's not their fault.

I haven't had a chance to read the Slate article, yet (I've got other things to do in meatspace, today.) but if the characterization of the article, where it's been quoted in other pieces is accurate, it sure smells like blaming the victim.

Expect an annotated distillation of fury from me tonight, if the reporting of that article is accurate once I get a chance to read it.

Just as food for thought, I think it's unconscionable that in a nation that has criminalized creating a hostile workplace environment, it's still tolerated to make a hostile school environment.

http://www.slate.com/id/2260952

And Irish Times response to the Slate article: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Sic...-99158739.html

+ Reply to thread