+ Reply to thread

Thread: Calling OCS and Andrew Ryan! --- Let's discuss UFC 111.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Calling OCS and Andrew Ryan! --- Let's discuss UFC 111.

So, guys. Can the Brit cause an upset and take down the formidable GSP, or has he jumped in the deep end with lead diving boots?

Can "the best Frank Mir ever, even if I do say so myself" beat down the monster that is known as Shane Carwin?

Who's improved the most out of Fitch and Alves?*

What do you reckon?

Whatever the outcomes, I'm looking forward to some tasty battles on this card.

* I've just noticed Alves is out and Ben Saunders is in. Don't know anything about him, yet. Off to do some googling.
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 26 Mar 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I really like Hardy. He's got an exciting style, and an entertaining personality. But this matchup is the worst possible kind of kryptonite for him; St. Pierre will be able to take him down at will, keep him there, and beat him up. I predict GSP will grind out a lopsided first round, and pound him out or tap him out on the gound in the second.

Mir is my favorite fighter, but his biggest weakness is still that he can be ground-and-pounded: three of Mir's four losses have been via getting pounded out by a guy who was sitting in his guard. Carwin just so happens to have some great ground and pound. So I fear for Mir. But I'm still picking him. He's a better striker, if not quite as powerful, and he has a far better ground game than anyone Carwin has fought so far (not counting Gonzaga, since it never really hit the floor).

Fitch is going to destroy Saunders. I like Saunders, but this is a bad fight for him. Fitch will completely dominate him on the floor, en route to a lopsided decision or maybe even a late submission by choke. Alves would have beaten Fitch this time around, I think.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I like what I've seen of Hardy, too. There's no doubting GSP is an impressive specimen, but if Hardy has been focusing on applying as much power as he has accuracy to his punching game, a lot of GSP fans will be crying into their GSP banners. Hopefully it will go at least a round or two of rough and tumble action before Dan lands the big 'un.

Carwin seems like the kind of humble, no-nonsense fighter that deserves a belt at some point, and I think Mir is going to be another KO stepping stone on the way.

I like Fitch and know next to nothing about Saunders, so I'm just going to say "GO FITCHY!" and enjoy what happens. I also fancied Alves, if that was who he would have faced. That'd have been a great scrap.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I wasn't called but I'll butt in anyway.

I haven't seen much of Hardy, but from what I've seen he doesn't really have a style that could inconvenience GSP. I'm rooting for Mir, but I'm concerned. Carwin is a beast.

So yeah, basically what Stampy said, and war GSP. Been too long.

ETA: There's also Fight Night 21, with Gomi vs KenFlo and Roy Nelson vs someone. I'm really only interested in Gomi, hoping he'll destroy KenFlo. Never liked his stupid name. I'm hoping to see Nate Quarry's ever improved stand-up game, consisting of holding his arms out, elbows bent and just turning his whole torso back and forth.
    Last edited by Claptree; 27 Mar 2010 at 09:33 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

All donations gratefully received, Claptree.

I'm more hopeful than confident regarding my pick of Hardy over GSP, but I'm definitely confident that GSP will know he has been in a fight, tho'.

Registered
    Feb 2010

Hardy is a great fighter, and I like him too. But unfortunately, the only way he is taking down GSP, is with a lucky hit.
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Claptree View post
    ETA: There's also Fight Night 21, with Gomi vs KenFlo and Roy Nelson vs someone. I'm really only interested in Gomi, hoping he'll destroy KenFlo. Never liked his stupid name. I'm hoping to see Nate Quarry's ever improved stand-up game, consisting of holding his arms out, elbows bent and just turning his whole torso back and forth.
    KenFlo sounds like a brand of tampon. I like him, but come on Kenny. I hope Gomi wins, just because it provides another reasonably worthy guy to throw at B.J. Penn. Penn crushed him last time, but it was a long time ago and few U.S. fans saw it.

Nate Quarry's standup stance looks like a 1980s video game. I expect him to shout "HADOUKEN!!!!" and shoot a fireball out of his chest.

Roy Nelson vs. someone: "someone" is Stefan Struve, who if I'm not mistaken is from your neck of the woods, Claptree. He's 6'11" and skinny. With Struve against the fat, potbellied Nelson, it's going to look like Timon vs. Pumbaa in there.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 27 Mar 2010 at 01:59 PM.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I called 2 out of 3 right.

And GSP certainly knew he'd been in a fight, even if he was never in any serious danger from Hardy. Still, Hardy's ability to go the distance and take everything GSP could throw at him - or in this case, pull off him, ie. arm, leg, head - surely entitles him to another pop at GSP's crown, but how would he go about changing the outcome? He needs to be making GSP wary of shooting in for the inevitable takedown, but I realise that is much easier said than done.

Carwin did exactly what I expected him to do, namely monster Mr Mir. Now I'm looking forward to him pulping Lesnar's head and then fighting Velasquez. That'll be a war to look forward to.

Registered
    Feb 2010

I almost cried when Carwin beat Mir, it was so disappointing. But, I am anxious to see Carwin vs Lesnar, and I would hope he literally KILLS Lesnar, but that would mean Mir couldn't have another fight with him.
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have to say it looked to me like GSP actually let a couple of possible subs go, rather than Hardy pulling out of them. One kimura in particular where he was looking over to his corner seemed very easy for Hardy to get out of considering how hard it was sunk in. Still, I'm impressed with Hardy's spirit/annoyed at his stubborness. That could just as easily have been a broken arm as an escape.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Another GSP fight = another completely one-sided five round beatdown of a game but overwhelmed challenger who can't stop GSP's takedown. Fitch, Alves, now Hardy.

GSP was more exciting before the first Serra fight; he took risks and worked hard to finish. These days, he has an airtight top control game that doesn't give his opponent a chance. Did Hardy even land one punch?

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

It'd only work once, but you need to lull him into thinking you are concentrating on your stand up, then when he comes in to shoot, try and kick his head off his shoulders*.

* If you're effective, once will be enough.
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 31 Mar 2010 at 06:44 AM.

+ Reply to thread