+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Born of the Deep: Game Thread

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well Brian, I've got a derringer in my handbag. Beyond that, I'm afraid I won't be much help with the artillery," says Chesapeake.
    She looks around the room full of strange men discussing firearms and sighs a bit, considering the practicalities of what she's gotten herself into.

Then she walks over to Tarifa, extending a hand. "I hope you don't mind sharing a cabin, Miss ...?"

Registered
    Oct 2009

Berlin nods to De Graeff for the acknowledgment He is slightly disappointed when the man picks up the cage to pack it away as he wanted to examine the little vermin more closely, but ah well. He might be able to work out something with De Graeff about it when they've returned from this little hunt of theirs.

Without the cage to retain his interest Berlin weaves through the forest of legs to his previous perch on the back of the chair. After settling comfortably he turns towards Recife and replies "I have multiple knives of various types and sizes on my person, but nothing other than that."

To the room as a whole he comments "As for roomies I'm not picky and am generally easy to room with..." he motions to himself "I don't take up a lot of room and am quiet, the only request I would have would be to have the upper bed."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens offers to room with Berlin, since it's only like having half a roommate really, he thinks to himself. "The upper bunk is yours if you wish it."
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Tarifa doesn't mention the weapons she has on her person. There aren't many, after all. Besides, she'd seen men with guns...take their weapons very personally. It was something about the shape or the shooting, she was sure. When the other woman, Chesapeake, came to speak to her, she smiled slightly. "Dulce," she said, shaking the other woman's hand. Her accent was obvious, but the words were clear enough. She was practiced. "Or, Tarifa, I suppose, since we seem to be identifying with our homes now."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Call me Mildred. Or Millie," says Chesapeake. "I can't imagine how going around calling each other by city names will make us less conspicuous."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"That is precisely what I thought," Hassan agrees dryly, rolling his eyes at De Graeff's back.

((At this point, let me know if there's anything specific your character is going to do during the first day and night of sailing. We're going to be moving ahead a little.))

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax - who, it must be noted, rather enjoys the whole code name business - looks forward to setting sail. He plans to chat up his fellow ports o' call to the point of exhaustion, with the possible exception of Athens, whom he's already pegged as a man capable of casual violence.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens plans to spend the majority of the voyage in his bunk during the days, with only brief forays out for meals and drinks. At night however, he plans to get to know the ship in it's entirety. Regardless of whatever supernatural things that he was summoned for, security and protection are just what he does and slinking around in the shadows keeping his one good eye on things is nearly a compulsion. It's a coin toss however as to exactly whose security and protection he seems the most concerned with, his own or his compatriots.
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 23 Mar 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife will play host, ensure the ship is in good order and everyone is settled into their cabins. Mainly he will talk to the others to learn more about them. When we get out to deep water and no other boats are in sight, he will show most of the hidden weapons on the boat and give lessons in use to those that want it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Millie will be sociable - happy to talk to whoever else feels like talking. She'll observe Brian's weapons demonstrations, but probably won't take part.

Registered
    Feb 2010

Bristol will spend some time on deck, and an equal amount of time back here in the dining room at the bar. He will be nice to all who approach him with conversation, and try to get to know everyone better.
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sydney will divide his time between getting to know his fellow adventurers better, and exploring the yacht.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So we are underway and moving along I assume. What's next?

Registered
    Mar 2009

The trip is largely uneventful as the party gets to know one another better. Those who choose to explore find little of note on the yacht--either Racife has no secrets on it or he hides them better than the others search. Going off of Hassan's maps, they're guided to take port in the city called Rosetta in English, locally known as Rashid.

The terrain leading to their goal is too rough for motorcars and will take at least two days of riding. However, De Graeff arranged for horses to be provided for the party before they arrived and Hassan has found a route that will get them to an oasis on each night of the journey.

As soon as they're in port they'll note that the weather appears to be good for travel. Millie will notice that the city seems to be filled with an unpleasant atmosphere, as though all of the joy was sucked out of it.

"We should get the horses and leave quickly," Hassan urges the party.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Horses"? Snorts Athens a bit derisively, "In the desert? We're as good as dead already."

Squinting up into the sun he shakes his head as he removes his jacket, folds it, and places it into his valise. Not wishing to draw undue attention in port he also shrugs out of a double shoulder holster and places it in the valise as well before stuffing the two Colt 1911 automatics into the front of his pants. Reaching into the valise he removes a fisherman's hat and puts it on his head and begins rolling up his sleeves.

"Tell me we at least have water to bring. We do have that yes? Or are we to die along with the horses?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

"They're Egyptian bred Arabians. Desert horses. They're small and sturdy and can handle being out there for some time. They work well enough for the Bedouins and they'll work for you." Hassan assures Athens, before eyeing the big man. "...assuming they aren't too small for you.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Finding herself feeling slightly sickened by the atmosphere in the city, Millie says "Can't leave this city soon enough for me! It seems like there's something ... wrong here."

Millie is happy when she sees the horses. When the group sets out, it is apparent that she's a fairly experienced rider.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I will take your word on the horses. I agree it is urgent to depart, we appear to be a damned circus sitting out here and Rosetta isn't the safest of towns on it's best day." says Athens as he looks around uneasily.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's been a few years since Sydney has been in the saddle, but it seems to come pretty easily to him. He does not appear especially comfortable in the glaring sun, though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hong Kong would have spent much of the journey in his shared room, apparently reading. With his medical equipment stowed safely, he would have been happy to tend to any injury or illness that arose-really, no matter how minor. He may have begged to heal something minor, in fact, if nothing else came up. A headache, a splinter, anything!

Once they made port, Hong Kong would shield his eyes against the desert sun. He was used to the cooler climate in England, and much less sun. "The horses are adapted to this climate, they will do fine." He points out to Athens. "How we will fare on the other hand..."

Registered
    Feb 2010

"C'mon old boy!" Bristol says to Athens as he approaches his own horse with a clap on Athens shoulder.
    "A man like you, carrying steel like that. I'm sure you've faced things much more deadly than dehydration and saddle sores."
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife says, "I'll need a few spare horses, I have some rations and special equipment to bring along. The one marked fragile is explosives and a few grenades, we need to be careful around that one. Mostly I am bringing food and investigative equipment. Anyone good are climbing? I have some gear but not a lot."

He also has plenty of small arms and ammo.

Once loaded one thing is obvious, Recife is no horseman. He looks distinctly uncomfortable at least at first.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax is no more comfortable astride a horse than Recife. Hoping he looks more competent, and less uneasy, than he feels, he climbs up.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sydney will be glad to give some tactful horseback-riding pointers to Halifax and Recife, and anyone else he notices having problems.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Mar 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hassan translates Recife's request to the Bedouin horse dealer, getting five more horses. Once everything is packed and everyone is settled, they'll set out. Those with no experience riding horses are in for an unpleasant first ride, as there is one thing Hassan forgot to mention in his glowing appraisal for the Arabians: in addition to being very sturdy horses, they also have a rather rough trot. There are going to be some sore backsides by the end of the day.

Also, "horse" might be too generous in some cases. Some of them are closer to pony sized. Still, they manage everyone's weight just fine.

It's a hot, dry day. Those used to warm climates, such as Recife, Sydney, and Athens will be mildly uncomfortable. Those from cooler regions will find it to be miserable. By the time they find a small spring in the shadow of a mountain, it's quite a relief for everyone to stretch and cool off.

While they're setting up camp, Halifax and Berlin will both notice a background noise which is difficult to identify. It's a quiet sort of scraping and tapping, similar to the sound of insects moving, only larger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax ambles over, bowlegged and wincing, to Sydney. "My arse is on fire, friend."

Then, more quietly, "Listen: I can hear something out there...out there, or beneath us, God forbid. Let's quickly but quietly spread the word, without calling a general meeting."

Halifax then goes about warning the others quietly, one by one.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

After hearing what Halifax has to say Athens, knowing really only a handful of responses to most given situations ambles a bit bowleggedly over to his valise and opens it. Reaching into it he removes an upper and lower of a Thompson sub-machine gun. The two pieces slide together with a soft, oily click. Then he removes a 50 round drum magazine and click that into place. Satisfied with his assembly, he pulls the cocking mechanism and releases the bolt chambering a round. Nodding slightly to Halifax he says softly "Tell me immediately if anything changes."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, walking gingerly, ensure he has two large caliber pistols loaded and ready and his own Thompson is ready. He then quietly asks Athens , "Is there time or need for grenades?"

Recife seems to be surprisingly good with firearms and has a strong interest in them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Breaking his first smile since joining the group on the yacht Athens looks approvingly at the Thompson cradled in Recife's arms. "Hell of a gun isn't it? I love American guns."

As to the question regarding grenades he shrugs and states "Explosives are the mark of an amateur, someone who takes no pride in his work. I am unfamiliar with grenades, but if you think they will be needed I will gladly pocket some for when and if the need comes, I always prefer to have the right.........tool at hand."
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 25 Mar 2010 at 11:44 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sydney quietly passes the word of possible danger, as Halifax asked him to do. He takes out his Eley's No. 7 service revolver and checks the action.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It seems that this is to be a long night.

Athens addresses the group "I don't know about monsters or ghosts, but I do know about Bedouins and Arabs and no matter what we aren't going to be totally safe sleeping here tonight. We should choose a watch so that others can rest. All those willing and able should show their weapons and speak up so that we can set a schedule. Everyone else should set up camp and see about dinner and coffee. We're going to need plenty of coffee this night for certain."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax stands up. He tugs at his pant legs to reveal small knives strapped to each ankle, then at his shirt sleeves to reveal two more identical blades, one at each wrist. They look as if they might be made for throwing.

Decidedly less suitable for throwing, but no less impressive in its own right, is the knife he pulls from a sheath at the small of his back. Its symmetrical, twelve-inch blade tapers slightly from hilt to shoulder. It is a fine example of what Americans in certain areas would call an "Arkansas toothpick," and it's a wonder Halifax can walk or sit with that at his back. After a moment to allow his weapons to be visually catalogued by his companions, he resheathes the big knife and speaks.

"I'll take first watch, and I'll take it as long as I can stand to. If there's any advantage to not having eyes - and I'm not saying there are many - it's that whatever I can perceive is not limited by the availability of light. Which means I have an advantage over most people in the dark."
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 25 Mar 2010 at 03:57 PM.

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Millie is more than happy to focus on camp-building duty, and leaves the watches to the fellows with the useful weaponry.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Halifax takes first, Sydney takes second, I'll take third and Recife takes fourth. Each does two hour shifts. Anyone caught sleeping, well......" Athens draws a finger across his throat and smiles his curled lip sneer. "There will be no sleeping. If there is need for alarm, shout or fire your weapon, do what you must to awaken the others. Agreed?"

Athens lights a cigarette and offers them around to the rest of the group again.
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 25 Mar 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife checks the perimeter of the camp, looking out for quicksand and dustholes but looking for anything unusual. On completing a circuit, he checks on the ponies and settles in to sleep next to his equipment.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's only shortly after they've made camp and started to settle in for the night that something happens. That strange sound turns louder and a bit more distinct, so that even those with less sensitive ears can start to pick it up. Now, it's clearly coming from beneath them. As the sound grows more distinct, the sand starts to sink down in six different spots around the edge of the camp, each spot roughly a foot and a half across. It's like looking at the top of an hourglass as the hour dwindles.

Except for when things start coming through.

At first they look like black sticks. Jointed and rough in texture, thick like young tree trunks. The sticks are moving, however, and are quickly revealed to be the claws of a grotesque creature that looks somewhat like a giant, long-legged scorpion.

Six of them scramble out at once, gleaming in the firelight like black jewels. The sound from under the ground continues as the creatures surround the party.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I take it this is happening on my watch.

On the off-chance anybody appears to have managed to sleep through this alarming turn of events, Halifax screams, "Dear God! WAKE UP, EVERYONE!!!"

He then draws his long knife and stands ready, neither eager to advance, nor wishing to retreat.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife: Do they have apparent mouths?

I will start with a few pistol shots at the head to gauge their armor.
    If I see a second one come out of the same hole, that hole will get an immediate hand grenade. (1,2,5, I mean 3)
    Recife shouts out, "People, the box marked fragile is explosives if anyone has any skill otherwise get behind those of us with firearms. Sydney can you fry these things?"

If there is time and they have mouths, I want to toss a piece of bloody meat at them and see if the bite at it.

Recife then says, "Someone see to the ponies."
    Last edited by What Exit?; 26 Mar 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Recife: Do they have apparent mouths?
    They have 3-segmented chelate chelicerae at their mouths like other scorpions, only much larger (see here for the non-squeamish). The chelicerae appear to protect their mouths as well as serving as a way to grasp things and pull them inside. The scorpions themselves are three feet long, not counting the curled up tail which doubles their length.

They flinch when they're shot, but quickly recover with no apparent injury. In fact, it may have simply been the sound startling them more than pain.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife will try tossing the meat, if they grab at it and eat it, a meat wrapped hand grenade will follow.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens springs up to his feet, seemingly not even having slept. Seeing that his beloved firearms aren't going to have much effect he makes his way to the box of grenades and along the way picks up a large rock.

If Recife's plan on the meat grenades is effective, Athens will join in with that attack.

If the scorpions aren't interested in meat, Athens will use his power to shape the rock into a pointed spear type object and try and impale them through the head.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sydney groggily leaps to his feet, blurting out "Jesus fuckin' Christ!" when he actually sees the monsters and realizes that he's not dreaming. He hears Recife and shakily nods, reaching out his hand toward the nearest monster and using his electrical powers to zap it. If the first charge is insufficient, he'll try again, and stronger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Shit, thinks Halifax. If bullets aren't slowing these monsters down, a thrown knife would be worse than a joke.

Halifax attacks the nearest scorpion with his long knife. He'll try for a downward stab, hoping to gain purchase between armor plates or in joints, and praying to God he can evade the stinger.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

An old pub trick occurs to Athens..."Alcohol!" he yells, "Is there any alcohol in camp? Someone find a bottle and splash them down with it now! Now!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The atmosphere in camp was too anxious for Millie to sleep. She's fidgeting by the campfire when the scorpions appear. At which point she tries to find something to hide behind.

When Recife yells about the horses, Millie goes in that direction, doing her best to keep them from freaking out and running off.

Registered
    Oct 2009

There hadn't been much occasion to talk as the damnable sun beat down on them and when they had settled in the oasis Berlin had been all to glad. That was before hearing the sound, He noticed that Halifax had herd it as well and was already telling the others. The watch is set but he could do no more then doze, that sound had put him on edge and there was no way to relax.

When the beasts came out of the sands Berlin was up right behind Athens instantly in a semi crouch, the firelight glinting off of small but very sharp knives that have suddenly appeared in his hands. He hadn't made a sound yet, completely focused on the giant scorpions. Berlin was completely still except for a slight sway of the head as he tracked the movements of the almost him sized monsters and the others. Wincing slightly when the guns are fired he notices that they do little good against the things bodies. Scorpiones, jointed arthropod, sharp pincers, deadly stinger, bleeding big as me! Weak point? Shells too hard... jointed arthropods... jointed! suddenly Berlin is in motion making a wide arch to see how well the monsters track his movement while keeping out of fire range.

“Everyone! If your good with a shot go for the segments, leg joints! That should be their weakest point!”

Registered
    Mar 2009

The scorpions will appear to examine the meat, though it's difficult to tell with arachnid heads. They don't touch it or make a move to eat it, however.

Athens' stone spear glances off the exoskeleton of the first scorpion he attacks, sliding against the plates before stabbing through a joint in them. The creature emits a high pitched shrieking sound and jerks. Its tail flies forward, narrowly missing Athens. It is injured and oozing fluid now.

The shrieking of pain of that one has disturbed the others now and they begin to tighten the circle around the party. Another six of the creatures are now crawing out of the holes they first emerged from.

The first charge from Sydney hits the scorpion in front of him. The shrieking this time appears to be twofold: a sound the creature is emitting and steam escaping its exoskeleton. In moments, the creature is dead. The smell in the air is disturbingly similar to lobster.

Halifax's knife goes through a joint in the scorpion's exoskeleton. As it twitches and shrieks, its stinger flies forward and stabs Halifax through the left arm. Aside from the pain of the wound itself, he'll feel an intense burning sensation as the poison is pumped into his body, followed by a numbness that begins to spread from the wound. For now, only his left arm is useless.

There is now a dead scorpion in front of Sydney, a dying one in front of Halifax, and an injured one before Athens. Nine remain.

Each member of the party except for Hassan and Millie is now approached by a scorpion, tails held in ready. Only one advances on Hassan and Millie, but the panic of the horses as they rear and attempt to break loose is its own challenge.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, tosses a grenade into a hole where one is crawling out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens chokes back rising bile in his throat as the scorpion before him oozes a foul ichor from the stab wound he inflicted. Not really wanting a repeat performance from the first encounter, he scrambles back to the campfire and stabs his spear through one of the burning logs. Pushing the burning log farther down the spears’ shaft, he flattens the top end poking through. Then shaking the log down to the flattened top, he flares out the end closest to him locking the burning log in place. Now with this rough approximation of a burning hammer in place, he turns to the closest scorpion and swings the burning log down on it’s head with all of his might.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Millie will try to use her empathy to get the horses calm enough to not run off or hurt themselves.

If that works, she'll try it on the scorpion: calm it down, make it disinclined to attack.

+ Reply to thread