+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Born of the Deep: Game Thread

Registered
    Mar 2009

A pained look crosses Hassan's face as he steps forward. "I can demonstrate, if you like."

Hassan seems to have prepared for the demonstration, even if he's clearly reluctant about it, as he pulls out two identical maps of the United States and lays them one on top of the other on the table.

"Name something in the country. I'll show you where it is. I can only do this once a day, though, so choose something you'll find convincing."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chesapeake pauses, thinking for a moment.

"Where are Roger Thornton's spectacles?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hassan closes his eyes for a moment, concentrating. He repeats Chesapeake's question several times under his breath before snapping his fingers.

The top map begins to burn around the edges, curling upward. There are no visible flames, simply embers eating their way inward. The top map grows smaller and smaller until only a tiny piece of it is left.

If it weren't for the bottom map, it would have been next to impossible to see where the place was that didn't burn, but it's unmistakably Baltimore.

Hassan opens his eyes to verify it worked, then steps back to dab at a sudden bloody nose with his handkerchief.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"I'll be damned," Halifax breathes. Then, again, softer: "I'll be damned."

The flippant manner about him, the one that seemed to dismiss this gathering as a freak show, is gone.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, "Who is Roger Thornton and what was so special about his spectacles that you wish to know their location?"

Turning to the Rat, "Mr. Rat could we perhaps work a deal in exchange for the location Mr. De Graeff seeks? We can arrange for your release by phone call if your information proves accurate and truthful."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chesapeake is speechless. Gathering herself she approaches the maps. She picks up the burned scrap and turns to face the group.

"Well," her voice is a little squeaky. She clears her throat and continues. "Mr. Thornton is a classmate of mine. He and his spectacles should be in Baltimore, and that seems to be all that's left here."

She turns to Hassan. "Are you all right? Do you need to sit down?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Seemingly pleased with De Graeff's explanations, Hong Kong settles back into his chair. More inquisitive voices prevail, though, and looks on as Hassan is asked to demonstrate his ability. And as the resulting nosebleed begins.

A look of almost visible relief crosses Hong Kong's face. A nosebleed was a simple enough thing to fix. Carefully, he brought his hand up in front of his own face, his thumb tracing a line in front of his own nose. Closing his eyes, he releases a breath, allowing his hand to fall away.

Hassan may find his nosebleed prematurely stopped.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The rat glares at Recife while it munches on a cashew. "No. I don't want to help you. I want to gnaw out your eyeballs and nest in the sockets."

Hassan nods a bit absently to Chesapeake as he takes a seat. Hong Kong's healing attempt is successful and the nosebleed stops a moment later. Hassan looks a bit surprised by this. "Do jeh," he tells Hong Kong in slightly accented Cantonese, thank you.

De Graeff clears his throat for attention. "Can you accept that even if I can't prove to you the world is in peril that...odd things are about and it's best to discover their source?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, "You know you might be very useful in some of my experiments. I could use a lab rat that can actually report on his pain and suffering, what a contribution to science that would be."

Registered
    Feb 2010

Bristol returns to the bar from the rat cage, and after receiving another scotch, turns with his elbows propped on the bar once more and takes a long sip of his drink before addressing De Graeff.

"I'd be willing to accept that, if first we can all accept that many of the odd things you speak of are happening in this very dining room. Though none of us seem to be very surprised....

"You didn't gather all of us specifically for no reason. Out of selfish curiosity I'll admit openly, I am one of those odd things."

Bristol then scans the room, and meets the eyes of everyone in attendance with a small smile on his face.

"So come with it everyone. Why have YOU been summoned?"
    Last edited by AndrewRyan; 16 Mar 2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

Registered
    Oct 2009

Berlin redirects his attention to DeGraeff when the big man starts to explain why they have all been gathered. He remains silent and observes from his perch until the little rat being is revealed, a small shock travels down his spine. Bracing with a hand he vaults lightly to the ground and moving around the others gawking at the rodent sliding up along side Sidney next to the cage. The intensity of his stare may make the little thing nervous before he breaks it to send a slight sideways glare at DeGraeff “This is new, I would have loved to have been introduced to him before.” he remains leaning towards the cage in a rather predatory manor though his direct focus is no longer on the scruffy piece of fur.

To Hassan he gives a slight smirk “That is a fun little trick of yours. I can see how that could be useful, but I agree with the shiny gentleman in blue.” leaning away from the cage he motions towards Bristol “I would be interested in everyones talents also, though I note that while you mention you are one of the odd sort you fail to state what that oddity is. But regardless, in the interest of expediting the process I will go first, I have a bit of an advantage when it comes to the senses and dexterity.” he finishes with a slight bow. “next?” he grins.
    Last edited by wynblade; 17 Mar 2010 at 12:02 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chesapeake gives Hassan and Hong Kong a bit of a look before replying to Berlin.

"I seem to have a hyper-developed sense of empathy: I can feel others' emotions as my own. Sometimes I can ... influence those emotions." She laughs ruefully. "I wouldn't call it a talent, so much as an affliction."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, "I guess you could say I get hunches, play the hunches and they are right. My investments of gambling wins is what gave me most of my wealth. There is a Yang to this Ying though of course and I try to use my abilities prudently"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Great, Halifax thinks. It isn't a circus sideshow, it's a tea party. He stands to address the assemblage.

"I can see all of you in spite of my," as he removes his dark glasses, "peculiar handicap."

The handicap Halifax refers to appears to be a complete lack of eyes. Blank skin covers the expanse of his face where the sockets should be. It is difficult to suppress the urge to either stare or look away.

After a few long seconds, he replaces the glasses and adds, "Maybe better than you can see me or each other, in some ways."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Fascinating Halifax, do you have any clairvoyance or X-ray vision to look for broken bones? Can you see the tumblers in a lock as you try to pick it?", eagerly and excitedly asks Recife, his accent getting tougher as he speaks very fast.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens makes his way over to a marble bust of Plato in the corner of the room, picks it up and carries it back to the rest of the group, setting it on the table.

“For me, rock is like…..” as he trails off, his fingers squish through the bust as were it made of gelatin, it curls through his fingers in spirals as he squeezes and the pieces that manage to fall clatter onto the tabletop with the unmistakable sound of something quite solid, quite still marble. Picking up one of the fallen tendrils, he works it in his hands until it makes a rather perfect sphere and tosses it to Hassan.

“You see, it remains rock to you, but I can manipulate stone in most manners imaginable.”
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Chuckling a bit at the ruined, formerly valuable statue, Halifax turns and responds, "Yeah, Recife, I'm a regular Ed Cayce."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

His demonstration complete, Athens goes again back to the rat and tosses in some more mixed nuts.

"You mentioned we weren't asking the right questions. Were you one of us, what type of questions would you ask of yourself?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It'd have to be a pretty dumb rat to fall for that, Sydney thinks to himself, but what the hell? It just might work.

He expands upon what he earlier said to Recife, now saying to the whole group, "I have a certain affinity for electricity - its study, appreciation, understanding and application. Just by using my body, I can zap anyone or anything, altering the electrical charge in things I touch, up to ten times a day. Like so...." He walks over to one of the deck lights, which is turned off; he touches the bulb, and it flares brighter and brighter before burning out. "The more I do, the more tired I become, though."

Registered
    Feb 2010

Bristol claps lightly at the displays. "Wonderful. I knew we were all gathered for good reason."

"Athens, Sydney, Halifax, Berlin, Chesapeake, Recife, just fascinating."

Bristol then closes his mouth, and smiles a million dollar smile, and speaks into the minds of each member in attendance.

"Even myself, as you can see."
    Last edited by AndrewRyan; 17 Mar 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, "I'm rich, but try not to wreck my boat showing off your powers. I didn't get rich being wasteful."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Recife, "You know you might be very useful in some of my experiments. I could use a lab rat that can actually report on his pain and suffering, what a contribution to science that would be."
    The rat hisses at Recife before it goes back to eating the nuts Athens is throwing. When it sees Berlin it jumps, however, and scurries into a corner of the cage, trying to get as far away as possible.

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    His demonstration complete, Athens goes again back to the rat and tosses in some more mixed nuts.

"You mentioned we weren't asking the right questions. Were you one of us, what type of questions would you ask of yourself?
    The rat tells Athens, "I'd ask how the world might end, for a start. Trying to find the who and the what doesn't do you any good when the players are always changing. But the real question ol' fatso over there missed was asking to find somebody who would answer his questions." At that, the rat titters to itself.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you, erm, do you have a name by the way?" Athens asks the rat. "And of course, please explain how the world might end."

And then addressing Hassan and DeGraeff "Can you two figure out what the rat is trying to say? Do we need to find someone who will answer our questions, or even still, can we?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I'm certain my talents could be deduced." Hong Kong says, amid the other confessions. He motions to Hassan and his healed nose to make his point.

Registered
    Feb 2010

"Here, Athens, let me give it a shot."

Bristol sets his drink down on the bar, and removes his jacket, placing it gingerly next to his scotch.

He then strides back towards the rat, places both hands on the sides of the cage, and stares intently at the rat creature.

He concentrates harder and harder, trying to extract some sort of information from the rat, that would be useful to the situation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Tarifa watches. She listens. She hangs back a bit from the crowd. Though, when De Graeff pulls out the items from his chest, she climbs up to stand on a chair, looking over everyone's head. Her first thought, upon seeing the rat, was that Halifax might have been onto something with his mention of Barnum. After all, a rat man could likely fetch a good price. "Nunca sabrían," she muttered to herself, before shaking her head. She wasn't here for that.

De Graeff went on to explain why he'd assembled them, about the peculiarity of their shared date of birth, about the impending doom. She was open minded enough to not discount his assertions, especially with the words of the rat to give him credibility. Of course, credibility and earnestness weren't always keys to success. Still, she'd made a deal, and intended to stick to her end of the bargain.

As the others went around, explaining what it was that made them special, she watched. She was an observer first. It had served her well in her line of work. "I am sometimes very fast," she told the group at large, her words lightly accented by her native Spanish. She hadn't had the luxury of fine schools, but her unique ability had given her the opportunity to learn a few things. "I've only managed to sustain the speed for about ten minutes, then...." she held out her hands as if to signify that the ten minutes was all she had.

Turning to Athens, Hassan, and De Graeff, she smirked slightly. "I'm sure we could find someone willing to answer the questions. However, would those be the correct answers?" She'd seen it happen before, when rewards were offered or violence threatened. People would say just about anything to better their situation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The rat snickers and ignores Athens's question. Hassan speaks up, in response to Athens and Tarifa, "I could try to find someone who can and will give us accurate information, but my gift is harder to practice on people than inanimate objects and I won't know it's failed until we follow the map. I've told De Graeff this before. I'm really best for simply looking for things."

Bristol has more luck getting information out of the rat than anyone else. Unfortunately, while it has the face of a person its mind is still clearly very rodent-like. What thoughts Bristol finds are far more disconnected than he'd find in a human mind. There are snatches here and there that don't make sense--something about a cat hunting him, a brief thought on eating the hearts of innocents--but one piece comes through clearly: "The gates will open."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens, not being the shiniest bulb in the chandelier, is beginning to get a bit frustrated. While he’s impressed enough with the talents of the group, he’s not used to much in life that can’t be threatened or harmed into complete cooperation. Thinking, clearly, is not his strong suit. While not possessing an uncontrollable temper by any measure, his body language and mannerisms begin to affect the dangerous impetuousness of someone quite used to getting their way without resistance. He is much more comfortable being feared than he is being frightened and the events of the evening so far have left him exercising what little self control he possesses as he makes his way back to the bar and fixes another drink to try and calm his nerves and wonder if he's really as spooked as he feels.

The urge to break something or someone can be almost unbearable at times.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chesapeake observes and listens to everyone with interest, surprise, and (in the case of Hong Kong) envy.

After Bristol has held the cage a while, she says: "So, Mr. Mind-reader, is the inside of that rodent as strange as the outside?"

Registered
    Feb 2010

Bristol stands up and straightens his shirt after a moment of staring at the rat. He wipes his brow and gives a side glance at Chesapeake.

"Bristol, or Anderson if you prefer. And yes it is as strange, unfortunately. The only thing comprehensible I could gather was, The gates will open."

He then turns and looks at De Graeff.

"Any idea what the gates are?"
    Last edited by AndrewRyan; 18 Mar 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sydney's sense of amazement, having already had such a vigorous workout today, is dulling a bit. So a mind-reader has gleaned some sort of cryptic prophecy from an evil talking rat with human features, he thinks. How interesting. I wonder what our patron has to say about that...?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by AndrewRyan View post
    Bristol stands up and straightens his shirt after a moment of staring at the rat. He wipes his brow and gives a side glance at Chesapeake.

"Bristol, or Anderson if you prefer. And yes it is as strange, unfortunately. The only thing comprehensible I could gather was, The gates will open."

He then turns and looks at De Graeff.

"Any idea what the gates are?"
    De Graeff shakes his head. "I don't, but the spot in Egypt that Hassan's mapping found might tell us more than this rat. If all of you are convinced that there is something dangerous afoot--or at least convinced that my payment is worth your time--you can begin your journey there and find out for yourselves."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chesapeake goes back to the table to examine the papers again.

"Well, Mr. De Graeff, you've certainly piqued my interest, and I certainly have the time available. But I suppose the gentleman who owns the yacht might have a bit more say." She nods towards Brian.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife, "The yatch is fueled and ready, how long would everyone need to be ready to ship out?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax exaggeratedly pats himself down: first his suit coat, then his pants pockets.

"Well, I've got a pocket knife, a clean hanky, $3.00, and I have two changes of clothes in my satchel under the dinner table. How does 'right now' sound?"

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens, "The sooner the better, we've already been in this port long enough to attract attention. We should leave now."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax shoots back, "So says the one guy here who looks like he belongs on the docks." He softens the barb, or tries to, with a smile in Athens' direction.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 19 Mar 2010 at 08:37 AM.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens rests a hand heavily on Halifax's shoulder and leans in to whisper in his ear. "If you'd prefer, I could see to it that you stay around those docks for a very, very long time. Then we'll see who belongs where, yes?" His point being sufficently made, Athens then claps Halifax on the shoulder and goes back to his valise left sitting by the bar. Opening it as if to check that the contents are still there he nods in satisfaction to himself and closes it back up. Raising his head back up he states to the room, "We leave now."
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 19 Mar 2010 at 09:12 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax chuckles nervously, then, recovering, laughs more loudly, as if Athens had just told him a very funny private joke.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Tarifa hadn't expected to go home and pack, so she nodded along with the others who had already spoken. "I could leave now as well," she agreed, then smirked and gave a nod toward Athens. "As the gentleman says, we're likely attracting attention here."

"You've presented us with quite a mystery, Seńor De Graeff."

Registered
    Mar 2009

De Graeff nods at Tarifa. "Yes, I know, but hopefully we'll learn more soon. And the rest of you?" He looks to Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Bristol.

Registered
    Feb 2010

"I'm in. And if my powers haven't failed me, I would say that the others who haven't answered quite yet are thinking along those same lines."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sydney looks around, and shrugs. "In for a penny, in for a pound. Why not? Let me just grab my bag from the car and we're off."

Registered
    Oct 2009

Berlin Smirks, he had assumed they would be leaving immediately if everything went as DeGraeff had planned, so had tucked away a small bag of supplies on the ship before hand. “I'm set to go” he leans towards the cage again and gives a sideways look at the little rat-thing “On with the hunt!” there is a flicker of something in his eyes, he seems to be enjoying this thought a bit too much.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Recife
    I send the navigator out for all the charts on Egypt he can find fast to supplement any we have on board. I ensure we have tide charts and have all the crew ready the boat for departure. I have the stewards direct the guests to cabins, two per cabin, pair up as they wish. I do not require guest to check weapons but I ask them to tell us who is packing and to be sure they keep track of said items at all times. I ask who has experience with heavy weapons and I name off a dozen different types including several types of machine guns. Who has experience with a motor/sailing yacht?

Does anyone need anything special, we can cast off within a hour I believe.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Weapons? Packing? Well, when I said I had a pocket knife, I may have actually meant knives, plural. That's it."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hassan raises his hand. "I'm prepared to leave now. I have a Browning Model 1922 and a knife, but nothing else, though I've used a Maxim gun before and could probably handle other machine guns with a bit of forewarning. I've no experience sailing, I'm afraid."

De Graeff starts gathering up his things while speaking, "Excellent, excellent. I'll be staying behind, but I'll send word of where to find me if I have to move. While all of you are quite gifted, I'm afraid I'm just an old man and would quickly get myself killed. I can vouch for the abilities of Hassan and Berlin personally, however."

Registered
    Sep 2009

After his return from dockside, suitcase in hand, Sydney says, "I have considerable experience in firearms and edged weapons from my time in the Australian Imperial Forces. You may depend on me."

He asks Halifax, to whom he's taken a liking in his short time aboard, if the Canadian would like be cabinmates.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Halifax shoulders his satchel and turns to Sydney. "Edged weapons, you say? Sounds like a man after my own heart. Sure thing, mate, let's bunk. But I warn you, I sleep in, so no lights before eight o'clock."

Pauses, then: "That's a joke."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Athens just looks at Recife and winks.

"You may trust that such items will be kept track of. I am not familiar with the types of weapons you mention specifically perhaps, but I know which is the dangerous end and you could say that maybe I have an affinity for all firearms and bladed weapons."

He lifts the valise and pats it lightly "I never travel alone."

+ Reply to thread