+ Reply to thread

Thread: Jim Tressel quietly speaks up for tolerance

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Jim Tressel quietly speaks up for tolerance

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...yhoo&type=lgns

Right now, depending on who you are and how closely you follow sports, you're probably either going:

"Huh? Who? Who cares?"

or

"Holee cow."

It isn't making huge headlines or anything, but it was clear, unequivocal, and given the culture in which Tressel exists, bold. He's going to get slagged for this by a significant portion of the people who (a) donate heavily to his institution, and (b) inhabit the Midwest regions he depends upon for recruiting.

Good for him. I can't remember many recent news stories that were surprising in a good way.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I'll admit to being concerned that the reactions of others to it might push him to some sort of face-saving "but they're still going to hell" statement, though.

Registered
    May 2009

I had no idea who he was, but I read the article. My main thought is that it's nice to see someone who claims to be a Christian actually espousing Christian values. But what I really found the most interesting was when he said their team has had players in wheelchairs. Now, I do not know that much about sports, but how does one play college football in a wheelchair?
    This tastes like the circus smells.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. I'll admit to being concerned that the reactions of others to it might push him to some sort of face-saving "but they're still going to hell" statement, though.
    Yeah, me too. I mean, this guy isn't the head football coach in Berkeley or Boulder or some hippie haven. He's the coach at Ohio freakin' State, he's inarguably one of the top three coaches in the country over the last decade, and he's been the dignified, conservative face of a dignified, conservative program.

I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 09 Mar 2010 at 04:02 PM.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Fink-Nottle View post
    But what I really found the most interesting was when he said their team has had players in wheelchairs. Now, I do not know that much about sports, but how does one play college football in a wheelchair?
    I think that phrase was subordinate to "caring for parents who ________." Parents in wheelchairs or with cancer, not players.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think that's going to be coming. He's speaking only from a team and leadership position, no politics, no evangelizing, just honest and true ideas behind what it means to be a part of a team and a leader of men. Good for him.

Edit - that was to Zuul.
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 09 Mar 2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    May 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I think that phrase was subordinate to "caring for parents who ________." Parents in wheelchairs or with cancer, not players.
    Ohhhhhhh, yeah that makes way more sense. Thank you.

Registered
    May 2009

From what I read in that one article he doesn't seem like someone who would bow to pressures from others and add a follow up that they'll still burn in hell. I certainly hope he doesn't. It's nice to see someone say I'm Christian and you know what that means, it means I treat EVERYONE with kindness, understanding, and respect because that's what Christ told us to do. Why is this so friggin' hard for other so-called Christians to get???

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Fink-Nottle View post
    From what I read in that one article he doesn't seem like someone who would bow to pressures from others and add a follow up that they'll still burn in hell. I certainly hope he doesn't. It's nice to see someone say I'm Christian and you know what that means, it means I treat EVERYONE with kindness, understanding, and respect because that's what Christ told us to do. Why is this so friggin' hard for other so-called Christians to get???
    It is a mystery.

Registered
    Jul 2009

This is pretty cool.

+ Reply to thread