+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mapping the universe query.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Mapping the universe query.

Say the entire known universe could be enclosed in a box the equivalent of 100 cubic sections long, by 60 deep, and 60 high - which of these "cubes" would the Milky Way galaxy be in??
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    Say the entire known universe could be enclosed in a box the equivalent of 100 cubic sections long, by 60 deep, and 60 high
    It can't, so the question has no meaningful answer.

What you imagine as simply downscaling the universe is actually projecting curved space-time into a three-dimensional coordinate system.

Much like maps of the earth's surface, such a coordinate system can have an arbitrary point of origin. Commonly, our solar system or the center of the Milky Way is used. So if we use your scaling of the coordinate axes, the location of some distant quasi-stellar object would be given as maybe (95,6/59,2/57,1). But our galaxy always remains at (0/0/0).

Registered
    Feb 2009

That was quick! So, is that assuming there is no "outside point" from which to view the universe? Say each universe is a molecule in a whole sea of universes and we could somehow put that molecule on a slide? Any guesses how it would look?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    So, is that assuming there is no "outside point" from which to view the universe?
    Yes, since the universe is everything, pretty much by definition, there is no outside point.
    Say each universe is a molecule in a whole sea of universes and we could somehow put that molecule on a slide? Any guesses how it would look?
    Is this related to the Multiverse theory? Sorry, I don't know enough about astrophysics to make a guess here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Another thing I've always wanted, is too see a graphic representation of how the bodies within our solar system move within the spiral arm of our galaxy, but I wouldn't know where to start googling.

Well, I would and have, but I've not seen anything like what I'm after. Obviously it would have to be a computer simulation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here is a map of the observable universe. Our galaxy is in the center and the 2 halves are looking "up" and "down" out of our galaxy. We can't see sideways out of the galaxy because of all the stuff in the way. Note that each dot in the picture is a galaxy made of billions of stars.

Now for an illustration of our galaxy The Milky Way. This shows where our solar system is and how it orbits the center of the galaxy.

Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I appreciate the pics, Glazer, but it's still not what I'm after. I'm thinking along the lines of one of those astronomy software apps where you can pan out and watch the orbital paths in real time, or speeded up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here try this one.
    http://www.faustweb.net/

It's rather simple and not to scale, but if it was you wouldn't see anything. If some of the planets don't seem to be moving very fast just remember that it takes Saturn about 29 1/2 Earth years to orbit the Sun.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's nearly there. I wanted to see the sun's orbit too, and get an idea of where we are and our movement, within the "arm" of our galaxy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well the second pic shows the Suns orbit and our present location within our spiral arm. Seeing as the Suns orbit is 226 million years an animation is going to look like a still pic any how. Also remember that the rest of the galaxy is rotating along with the Sun so we stay in the same relative neighborhood the hole time. I had found some programs that let you zoom in and out from Lunar orbit to outside the galaxy but they cost money.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

+ Reply to thread