+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why do supermarkets play such depressing music?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Why do supermarkets play such depressing music?

The other night I heard what must be the most depressing song about masturbation ever, The Carpenters' "Solitaire", while looking for cheap sunglasses in Rite-Aid. Which got me to wondering why grocery stores play sad songs.

Is it just me? Are they actually playing a mix of music but I'm only picking up on the sadder songs? Even if that's the case, that's still some sad songs in there. Are people influenced to buy more when sad? Especially jarring is the difference between the song and the interruption by the cheery person reading this week's ad. Is the intent then to make me feel bad, until the happy special on beef jerky rescues me from the doldrums?

Personally, if I'm sad, I'm unlikely to purchase more; I'll probably buy less. And I'll purposely avoid a grocery store if I know they'll be playing sad and cheesy songs.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't noticed particularly sad songs, but there sure is a lot of sappy coming out of the speakers at my local grocery or discount store. I think it might have something to do with the cost of the song, though. From what I can tell, most of the sleepy tunes they pump into those places are, at best, minor hits from bands that were popular twenty-to-forty years ago.

Registered
    Feb 2010

Because depressed people sometimes try to eat away their depression. They're hoping you'll buy more groceries.

Its done wonders for their ice cream sales!
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Fortunately, none of my local grocery stores play muzak at me. Please don't give them any ideas.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Crap tunes make the customer want to get out of the store quicker, while spending the same amount of money. This results in shoppers purchasing stuff they didn't want, and not purchasing stuff they needed; hence ensuring another wreckless spending visit to the store at some time in the near future.

I suppose you could always try and find a store where they play the good stuff?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's just you. Pretty much all stores play one satellite radio station or another at this point. Maybe your Rite-Aid (those are grocery stores now?) just happens to be tuned to the "crying in your beer" station, but more likely it's just a mix of crappy pop music, like all the rest of them.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I never notice the music at the grocery store unless it's instrumental Muzak. I mean, really. Who still plays that stuff? Why did we need an orchestral version of "Yesterday?" Was the original version that jarring and edgy? :Shake:
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Apr 2009

"Our" grocery store usually seems to have it on some 80s playlist, with a fair amount of alternative stuff, which makes me happy, even if it is a little weird to find myself humming along to The Boy With A Thorn In His Side while comparing fiber content in breakfast cereals...

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    ...humming along to The Boy With A Thorn In His Side while comparing fiber content in breakfast cereals...
    Perhaps the thorny sensation was diverticulitis?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2010

Mine always plays odd, "alternative" music. I gon't get it.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There are actual studies on this sort of thing!?

You just have to pay $31.50 to see what they've got to say.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My local supermarkets don't have music, they just pump the smell of freshly baked bread around the store.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've noticed most grocery stores and pharmacies have some sort of 1980s-era playlist, with the diversity of musical selections varying. Why they're all trapped in the 1980s, I don't know. When I was a kid in the 1970s and 1980s, you certainly didn't hear 1940s big band music in supermarkets; it was either Muzak or stuff like Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, bossa nova songs like The Girl from Ipanema, and other selections in the easy listening genre. There was the occasional upbeat song, but it was usually a production instrumental, like The Typewriter Song.

There's a few exceptions. Wegmans plays fairly upbeat, and often edgy music, spanning from the 1970s through to the 2000s.

Most independent stores now seem to play a Music Choice or DMX channel, or one of the music channels from Dish Network or DirecTV. There are Music Choice and DMX channels in a commercial tier not available to home consumers that play ethnic music intended for restaurants.

Registered
    Jul 2009

This one store I worked at, they made us read some book on the science of shopping. How people enter stores, where their eyes go, how they interact with displays, etc. I don't remember much of it now and I forget anything it had on music at all.

Mostly I just remember how insane my boss was. So, so insane.

+ Reply to thread