+ Reply to thread

Thread: One more reason to hate the big banks

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default One more reason to hate the big banks

I hate big banks.

I loathe them. I think that more often than not they're claiming to provide services that are designed more fleece the general consumer than they are providing any kind of useful service to them. I recognize the need for the large banks in our economy, but believe that for the most part they're more interested in providing service to larger accounts while they use the peons for fodder.

Certainly the current reaction to the tightening of credit laws is evidence of this, IMNSHO.

I believe that for the average consumer, everything that they'd want from a bank can be more reasonably arranged via a credit union. And with a little investigation it's usually easy to find a credit union that will have nearly as much selection of local ATMs as any of the big banks.

Personally, I've hated big banks since M&T closed my account when my direct deposit stopped because I was fired. Without notifying me. And then accepted a several thousand dollar deposit, in cash, to that same account. And held the money for a week, because it takes that long to get it out of a closed account, apparently.

But that's neither here, nor there.

The one problem I have with the small community credit union I use is that they don't have any cash in the office. They have ATMs, and agreements with several other banks/CU in the area for free ATM use, but they cannot simply withdraw funds from your account and then have the teller hand you cash.

Nor can they change your $10 bill into a roll of quarters.

So for laundry day I need some quarters. My building has a small laundry facility, but no dollar bill changer. No problem, just have to get the quarters ahead of time. Normally I go in to a convenient bank, and exchange an engraving of Alexander Hamilton for a roll of embossed metal discs honoring George Washington.

Today I went to Holy Shit! The British are Coming! for this minor exchange.

And spent five minutes, once I got the discs, trying to explain to the teller that I don't care to get one of her bank's credit cards. Nor do I wish to open an account with them. Nor do I need to open a money market account. Nor do I want to refinance my mortgage. :Shake:

I think that they have just become an inconvenient bank, for any future purposes.
    Last edited by OtakuLoki; 04 Mar 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added link to explain joke

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Banks here are bastards. They usually have few staff to encourage online use, but there are plenty of things you can't do online, like lodge cash for example.
    One of our local banks is going to stop handling cash soon which is a huge inconvenience for our business, and consequently they're going to lose our business. I understand that many things are electronic these days but it is nowhere near the totality of transactions that would warrant getting rid of cash facilities in banks.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I worked as a bank teller once. We really have a lot less to say about how/when/why we do anything behind that counter than you can imagine. So if we're annoying you and you've got your quarters politely say no thank you have a nice day. Then turn about and go on your business. It's entirely I'm being told to sell these products to you and that I'm being judged on my ability to do so. Your issues with paperwork and closed accounts though is understandable, the very security that keeps your money safe makes it a pain in the ass to do anything 'out of the ordinary' with it.

EDIT: oh yah I worked for a credit union. I think people liked us more because we still had a lot of people actually working in the main branch. Where as the big banks I've been to have almost a skeleton staff these days in there branches. But I dunno how anybodies region but mine is like.

EDIT2: and we had a lot of community type programs to help kids save and junk.
    Last edited by hatesfreedom; 04 Mar 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom View post
    So if we're annoying you and you've got your quarters politely say no thank you have a nice day. Then turn about and go on your business. It's entirely I'm being told to sell these products to you and that I'm being judged on my ability to do so.
    I want to make it clear - I was never anything but polite with the poor teller. I recognized at the time that it was bank policy, more than any personal ambition that was likely driving that. I don't hold the mess against her - but rather against the bank as an organization.

And, let's face it, exchanging cash is not going to keep any bank in business. I recognize that, too. From their point of view, I truly am a parasite - using their services for no charge, and with no intention of ever making them a dime.

However such walk-in services are those that allows an organization to build a relationship with people so that they may consider using the bank's products in the future. Which is why I think such a hard sell is counter-productive, and far more likely to alienate people than to generate new business.

But none of that deserves to be dropped on the head of the tellers stuck with carrying out the policies handed to them.

+ Reply to thread