+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suspending ham from ceiling - safe from mice?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Suspending ham from ceiling - safe from mice?

I am about to acquire a large piece of smoked ham, which I need to store in a cool place. Unfortunately, the only option is our compartment in the basement, where I fear mice will nibble on it.

So what if I hang it by a string from the ceiling? Are they clever or agile enough to reach it there?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just leave some cheese on the floor. Why would they want to risk life and tiny limb for a bit of ham, when there's perfectly good cheese on the ground?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hanging a deer up to age for a few days is pretty common out here. I've heard concerns about mice getting to the meat if you let it touch the ground (DON'T EVER DO THAT EW) but not if it's left hanging. I'd assume it'd be similar with ham.

Then again, everyone might just be gross rednecks here and they don't care if rodents nibble.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Crappy answer, but Italians have been hanging cured meats for centuries so it must work.

Registered
    Feb 2009

In your basement mice would be a minor concern. Ants and roaches would have no problem getting to your ham. If the ham is already smoked and dried, why not just cut it into more managable hunks?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Ants and roaches would have no problem getting to your ham.
    I don't think there are any at this time of the year.
    If the ham is already smoked and dried, why not just cut it into more managable hunks?
    It should have only one cut end.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmmm....What about wrapping it in cheesecloth to make sure that any nasties have a harder time getting at it?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My granddad used to wrap the meat in several layers of cheesecloth and then smoke it some more. Then it got hung from twine in the stone cellar. The smoked cheesecloth formed an effective barrier against bugs.
    GROSS ALERT - However flies would occasionally lay eggs through the cheesecloth. Grandad would just carve them out with a knife and resume slicing. It didn't kill any of us....

For larger pests you might consider tying a plastic cone about halfway down the string. The edge should extend beyond the meat. Anything bigger than a bug that crawls down it will peel off and fall to the floor.

+ Reply to thread