+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone know a way of getting stinky feet smell from a pair of boots?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Anyone know a way of getting stinky feet smell from a pair of boots?

I've got a pair of Columbia boots that aren't done yet but they stink. Any suggestions for how to get rid of that foot stank off them?
    I tried Febreeze and they somehow made it worse.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If they already stink, regular applications of Dr. Scholl's powder might help somewhat.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nope, you're fucked. Once serious foot stank sets in there is no force on earth that can clean them without dissolving the boots into boot like mush at the same time. Trust me, I have feet that smell like an Arby's dumpster and I've ruined every single pair of shoes I've ever owned eventually, no matter how careful I am about changing socks and foot powder (foot powder? Shit, I make that stuff into foot paste and it will actually ooze out of the stitching) and anything else.

Burn 'em.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

White vinegar will get rid of pretty much any smell that's organic in nature, so try that. I would make a solution of about 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water, wet a paper towel with it and rub it around inside the boots. Then let dry. They will smell like vinegar for a few days, but when the vinegar smell goes away, the stanky foot smell should be gone, too.

I've used this on sour milk and vomit, so I know it works. Ah, the joys of motherhood.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Maybe throw a little Oxyclean in with the vinegar? And tea tree oil, which is my favorite panacea

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Nope, you're fucked. Once serious foot stank sets in there is no force on earth that can clean them without dissolving the boots into boot like mush at the same time. Trust me, I have feet that smell like an Arby's dumpster and I've ruined every single pair of shoes I've ever owned eventually, no matter how careful I am about changing socks and foot powder (foot powder? Shit, I make that stuff into foot paste and it will actually ooze out of the stitching) and anything else.

Burn 'em.
    I have learned something about you today, that I did not care to know.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Freeze them to kill the bacteria, and place some fresh coffee grounds inside first to suck up all the leftover stank.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Use non-stinky bacteria to eat the stinky bacteria: http://www.sinkthestink.com/

The stuff really does work. After thoroughly soaking your boots in it, do not rinse them -- let the bacteria do its thing.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bicarbonate of soda. Lots of it.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I always had good luck with enzyme cleaners that are used to eliminate all traces of dog and cat urine. Does Ireland have large pet stores, like Petco or Petsmart in the US?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by elmwood View post
    I always had good luck with enzyme cleaners that are used to eliminate all traces of dog and cat urine. Does Ireland have large pet stores, like Petco or Petsmart in the US?
    I don't think so but I imagine I can get those products in the pet store beside my own store. I'll have a gander.

I am tempted to combine all remedies in this thread and film the results.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    I don't think so but I imagine I can get those products in the pet store beside my own store. I'll have a gander.

I am tempted to combine all remedies in this thread and film the results.
    Make sure to wear a respirator and have fire extinguisher on hand.
    Last edited by Glazer; 25 Feb 2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Spray them lightly inside with a solution of bleach.

Enclose in plastic bag overnight so chlorine can do its work.

Leave out to dry.

Use only footwear wich breathes well. Use only natural fiber socks, never artificial fiber.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Anyone know a way of getting stinky feet smell from a pair of boots?
    Unless rigor has set in already, just remove the boots from the body. If you are too late to do that, then wait two or three days until the stinky feet soften up, and then remove the boots.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I used shoe powder for several years in an attempt to slay the stench from a favorite pair of running shoes. Nothing worked. Even soaking them in full strength bleach overnight only knocked it back for a week or so.

With the next pair of shoes I avoided using any shoe powder. Bingo! No more stench. I seriously think the powder just rots in the shoe and eventually makes it stink worse.

Ixnay on the owderpay.

Registered
    Feb 2010

I've got a pair of Columbia boots that aren't done yet but they stink. Any suggestions for how to get rid of that foot stank off them?
    I tried Febreeze and they somehow made it worse.
    Tea Tree Oil or Eucalyptus Oil should do the trick.

+ Reply to thread