+ Reply to thread

Thread: So I'm popping over to the universal library for a bit. Anybody want me to bring anything back?

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default So I'm popping over to the universal library for a bit. Anybody want me to bring anything back?

I have, of course, long since foresworn all my super-villainous ambitions, and anyone who says different is begging for a beating from the flying monkeys. Nonetheless, a series of misunderstands makes it needful that I temporarily relocate to someplace where neither Aslan, Kimball Kennison, nor the Guardians of the Universe have an extradition treaty. I shall be taking my holiday in Kurd Lasswitz's Universal Library, which, as I'm sure you know, contains every book every written in the multiverse. How I came to possess the index to this library is an interesting story, but sadly too long to fit in the boundaries of this margin.

Anyway--whilel in the UL, I shall be getting a couple of copies of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Compleat History of Sauron in the Second Age, detailing, among other things, the activities of the aforementioned Dark Lord during the forging of the Rings of Power. (It was written three Earth-analogs over, on a world where the Perfesser lived to be 117.) I'm told it's a good read, as is The Moon is a Harsh Master, Robert Heinlein's sequel to the Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, so I'll be picking up a copy of that as well. Can I get anything for the rest of y'all?
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well I would love to see the Annals of the 4th Age from Minas Tirith of course. While you're at it please bring me back the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and some text books on FTL drives.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I, for one, would be interested in seeing a copy of Margaret Mitchell's version of Scarlett, so I can see where the modern versions went wrong.

I'd also like to read some of the more interesting memoirs from WWII that we can't get here: Michael Wittmann's autobiography, and Otto Skorzeny's, too.

Then there's Admiral Moffet's account of the difficulties in adapting the reconnaissance arm of the USN's airship program for WWII, Flames of Akron.

Finally, of course, I'd like to see a copy of Alhazred's actual Necronomicon. I've got some people whom need to read it.

On preview: While Jim's working on the FTL stuff, I'd like a couple texts on anti-gerone treatments.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd like just a few trifles, really. Lord Byron's lost memoirs and Homer's first epic comedy (that's the Greek, not the Simpson).

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Well I would love to see the Annals of the 4th Age from Minas Tirith of course. While you're at it please bring me back the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and some text books on FTL drives.
    As you obviously mean the artifact used by Ford Prefect, rather than the novel about same, I regretfully point out that I cannot help you. It is not a codex; it's an ebook. No ebooks in Lasswitz's universal library.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tobin's Spirit Guide would be handy, and I'll take that Necronomicon off of Loki's hands when he's done with it. Also The Pension Grillparzer, Yojimbo's Japanese-English Dictionary (along with the courses on Klugarsh Mind Control and Hyperstellar Archeology), On the Study of Tobaccos and their Ashes, and the collected works of Kilgore Trout please.

Oh yeah, Hamster Huey and the Gooie Kablooie too.
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 24 Feb 2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hey man, can you grab me a copy of The Saga Of The Star Wars:Vol 1-9 by George Lucas,please? I just saw the movies for vol 1-3 and they sucked, I wanna see how close they are to the book he said he wrote back in the 70s.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer View post
    As you obviously mean the artifact used by Ford Prefect, rather than the novel about same, I regretfully point out that I cannot help you. It is not a codex; it's an ebook. No ebooks in Lasswitz's universal library.
    Darn, I did not realize that limitation.

Can I get the plays of Aeschylus then, one Etruscan dictionary and Etruscan History. Pliny the Elder's missing volumes of the History of Time.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

As long as you're in the Tolkien section, please pick me up the complete novelization of the Fall of Gondolin.

Also the complete works of Sappho and Sophocles. Actually just go to the un-burned Library of Alexandria section and pick something at random. I'm sure I'll like it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Orual; 24 Feb 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: double post

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Those other Shakespeare plays please. I wanna ebay them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just realized, I want the detailed account of when Glorfindel led Elves and Men to drive the Witch King from Angmar in 1974 TA.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll take Rarnaby Budge by Charles Dikkens, the well known Dutch author.

I'd like puplished copies of all the works that would have been made from the notes of Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton had his wife not burned them after he died.

I'd also like a copy of the complete version of "Kublai Khan" as envisioned by Samuel Taylor Coleridge BEFORE he was interuppted by the infamous Person from Porlock.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Also if you could pop into the audio section and pick up the conversation that was erased in the 18 1/2 minute gap in the Watergate Tapes that would be awesome.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Also if you could pop into the audio section and pick up the conversation that was erased in the 18 1/2 minute gap in the Watergate Tapes that would be awesome.
    It has already been established that he erased the recording of Alice's Restaurant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    Finally, of course, I'd like to see a copy of Alhazred's actual Necronomicon. I've got some people whom need to read it.

Loki took my answer.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wouldn't mind the section of Aristotle's Poetics dealing with comedies.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Just realized, I want the detailed account of when Glorfindel led Elves and Men to drive the Witch King from Angmar in 1974 TA.
    It's not clear to me why you would request this. Do you seriously think I was NOT gonna grab multiple copies on sight?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd also like a copy of the complete version of "Kublai Khan" as envisioned by Samuel Taylor Coleridge BEFORE he was interuppted by the infamous Person from Porlock.
    Swoons...

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That's what I was gonna ask for...

I'll settle for Jesus' day planner.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll take the unabridged original version of The Princess Bride, and you can leave the scripts for Star Wars Episodes I-III there while you're at it.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

+ Reply to thread