+ Reply to thread

Thread: ST:TOS; Errand of Mercy

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default ST:TOS; Errand of Mercy

I find this to be one of the most thought provoking episodes on first viewing. It really can make you question your worldview. Great script, great acting.

But does anyone else think that the Head Klingon looks like the Grinch?

I like that Kirk has the self-awareness to admit to embarrassment. And Spock (who is so human) reassures him (logic, my ass--that's comfort and compassion).

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Aww, Head Klingon is one of the most respect guest actors in Science Fiction. He was famous for stand out roles on Star Trek and the original Battle Star Galatica.
    John Colicos was very good. He reprised his role of Kor in 3 Deep Space 9 episodes, I knew he did at least one. It turns out he even did a recurring character on the dreadful "War of the Worlds" show and helped relaunch the new BSG.

A good episode though I am never a huge fan of the vastly powerful races episode. Kirk and Kor were great in this show. The Klingons were not cartoonish but just a warrior race with a heavy touch of Glorious Bastard to them. In this show they felt more like classic Prussians than the Soviets they were supposed to kind of be. Actually I never really got the Klingons = Soviets vibe.

Who could not love Kirk demanding the right to make war, a war he did not want. One thing I did like about the later shows is they followed through on the Organian’s thoughts that eventually the Federation and Klingons would be allies.

Gaffs?
    The sonic grenade appeared to be a simple and common pineapple grenade prop and that seemed a little odd.
    Why Spock and even Kirk did not go into hiding, this was actually a silly plot device that does not stand up to inspection of logical thought.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

And why they chose an exposed wall for "cover" once Kirk had launched the grenade was ridiculous. Hell, I'm a GIRL and I would have chosen better cover!

I also wonder why the Organians didn't just 'splain to Kirk, which brings up another intriguing point: perhaps they have their own type of Prime Directive? Hmmm....

But Kor does look like the Grinch. Or Alfred E Newman with a FuManchu beard.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Kor I think was supposed to look like Gengis Khan. Instead, he looks like Baltar!

Again, one of the great episodes, with our first introduction to the Klingons. Personally, I always preferred them when they were without the ridgy foreheads, but that's just me. John Colicos seemed to have a great deal of fun playing Kirk's foil in this episode, looking gleeful at the prospect of the "glorious" war they were about to start until the Organians step in and mess everything up.

It is nice to see, for the remainder of the series, that the Organian Peace Treaty remains a part of the equation in all interactions with the Kilngons, requiring everyone to tip-toe around the prospect of war, knowing that the Organians will step in and stop it once and for all if hostilities escalate too far.

I like this one!
    Hell is other people.

+ Reply to thread