+ Reply to thread

Thread: Has Anyone Seen Teeth?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Has Anyone Seen Teeth?

For reasons that I knew were bad at the time, last night I did a little Googling for the phrase "vagina dentata." Obviously much of the search results for that was nightmare fodder or worse. But one thing that came up, as well, as the mention of this little film, Teeth.

Per Rotten Tomatoes it's actually got a 82% rating.

Is this thing the dark comedy gold it could be? Or is it just painful? (Or does it hit both bells there?)

Has anyone here seen it? What's the word?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't seen it, but my niece has and she says I should see it because it's really, really good. However, this is also a young woman who thinks Twilight is a romantic horror movie and Transformers 2 had a fascinating plot, so take that with a grain of salt.

From what she said, it does sound like something that might be interesting. There's apparently some sort of

Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    sexual assault
    that sparks the plot off, however, which is the main reason why I haven't watched it yet. It's a rare movie that handles something like that well and if that movie is a dark comedy? I think I'll wait until somebody whose taste in movies I trust a bit better recommends it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've seen it. It's actually pretty good. It's very much a dark comedy, with the emphasis on dark.
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    But yeah, there are several scenes of sexual assault. That's what causes the teeth to bite. One scene of the girl getting raped and then the vagina dentata biting off his penis is particularly grisly. I was more disturbed by the skeezy gynecologist she visits than any of the gore however.
    It's an interesting fantasy tale about female empowerment. Rape is often defined as "men committing violence with their genitals," and now here is the chance for a woman to do the same. She can strike back at her assaulter in a very visceral, and literally emasculating, way.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's been on my "to watch" list for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Everyone I know who has seen it has loved it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks for the little synopsis there, Rude and Not Ginger. I've added it to my queue.

+ Reply to thread