+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth FA64 D&D Game: Seventh Adventure – The Ruins of Old Hatha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Theogrim leads the charge down the hill and strikes true with his new +5 lance for 54 points of damage.
    Sterce sanctus! :shock:

A tremendous effort, one and all! Ensure that we have no more visitors arriving, and we had better recover any ammunition that we can. As for these cursed creatures, I am not without pity for they did not ask for such an existence, but better for all the world that they are sped, and may the Valar grant their spirits more peace than their mortal lives ever knew.

To the victor go the spoils... but I expect the burrahobbits are ahead of us all there.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Well struck, my friends!"

Ceol drops his lance and draws his swords, using his knees to guide Leofwin towards the remaining troll.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir shouts, "Well struck, one and all! On to victory! Elendil!" He will charge the closest remaining troll with his lance, if able, but otherwise will draw his longsword Cirist and attack.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oops.

Follow the remaining trolls, keeping the archers just within short bowshot but out of hand-to-hand. As far as possible we should concentrate on one troll at a time until it drops.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Prestolwen stays behind, salvaging spent arrows out of dead trolls.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

After making sure that the dead trolls are well and truely dead Gwaelur will collect his bolts and then hurry toward the next troll, axe and shield at the ready.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur will do the same as Gwaelur.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Struggling a bit to mask his own amazement at the work of his new lance, Theogrim will withdraw said lance from the body of the fallen troll. He will then survey the battlefield to make sure none of the trolls is making a break for the archers, and if none is, he will charge the same troll that Bitur and Gwaelur go after.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor will stay near the camp, ready and alert for any further attacks from other directions. He'll tend his brazier, keeping the heat low to minimize visibility, and keep Folca at a safe watch point in the area.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Judging by the noise on the hill and the trolls moving off, Mulligan considers her work well done.

If the two trolls are running away, Mulligan will let them go, we can follow them in the morning to whatever lair they have.
    If they are heading up the hill towards the battle, Mulligan will use one of them as target practice with her sling using normal sling bullets.

-------------------

Seeing that the other troll around will be well taken care of by a lancer and two dwarves, not to mention extra archers, Rorimac heads down the hill with both swords drawn looking to see if the two other trolls are approaching and to see that Mulligan is ok.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Redward will fire on the remaining troll, if able to get a clear shot. If not, he will draw a dagger, and be cautious as he scavenges for any of his arrows.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Once the trolls are all down, Ithilneth will suggest that a couple pairs of scouts loop around the area to look for anything that might have been attracted to the commotion.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ceol and Thoroncir engage the troll with swords and shields. Both are careful to keep their mounts as safe as possible in the melee. The troll swings a simple but heavy club at Thoroncir who deflects the blow with his shield though it is numbing to his arm. Cirist (his long sword) stabs into the monster for 17 and Ceol strike into the large thigh for another 17.

Redward chooses his moments and lets arrows fly at the remaining troll. The light from Thoroncir’s sword and Redward’s ability to judge distance aids his first arrow in striking for 11 points.

Gil-Gandel starts down the steep path and finds he cannot make haste. He will not gain on the trolls until down to the flatter area below. They are much closer to the bottom and a good 1200’ (40”) away. The chase should be a good one.

Ithilneth surveys the field and sees following Gil-Gandel might be her best choice.

Mulligan is closest to the fleeing trolls but sees no reason to hurry after them. Still invisible she sees that the last troll uphill is engaged by the tall warriors of the party. Soon she sees Rorimac coming down hill past the fighting. She heads to him to coordinate their actions. Rorimac reports Gil-Gandel is behind him and will be down soon.

Prestolwen, Gwaelur and Bitur ensure the trolls are dead and begin the process of finding spent arrows and bolts. Extracting those that struck will take much time. Prestolwen’s nimble fingers trained to surgery seem more adept at this then either rough veteran smith. The Dwarves quickly leave off the task and head down the hill to help Gil-Gandel as needed.

Deor maintains his position on the hilltop but Gilraen drops down to assist Prestolwen and bring much light to help as Gwaelur moves off. Sala remains to guard Deor and the horses and keeps an eye on the gentler path.

Thoroncir stabs again and strikes true for another 15 but the troll punches him with a gnarled fist for 15 points. Ceol hits again for 22 more. The troll appears to be tottering as both knights pull clear as Theogrim completes his charge. He strikes cleanly and sends the troll flying down the hillside quite dead. (He did another 44 points of damage to the troll).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sir Thoroncir sees stars for a few seconds from the troll's blow and is hurting, but nevertheless is willing to pursue and slay the fleeing trolls. Will Ceol and Theogrim join him?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol nods to Thoroncir. "Yes, let us finish this grim task, before the remaining trolls escape to cause more trouble elsewhere."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Agreed, my friends. Let us see to it that these trolls do not escape to menace us, or any others, another day."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan comments to Rorimac "Lets see what Gil-Gandel wants to do, whether to chase them down now or wait until morning and find them then. My guess is he will probably want to stop them now. At least they are pretty visible waving those torches around. Perhaps we should go and slow them down a little, Gil-Gandal will catch up for sure."

"I would guess you are right, no-one can outrun an Elf when they put their mind to it" responds Rorimac. "We should also consider slowing them down so the cavalry don't have to ride as far."

"An excellent point" agrees Mulligan, "and after this, we have definitely earned a smoke. Shall we?"

"Indeed" says Rorimac with a smile. "Indeed."

The pair of them head after the trolls.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry

The trolls have dropped their torches.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Ithilneth will advance reasonably quickly towards the remaining trolls. If there's a good opportunity to shoot an arrow or two without risking her comrades, she will take it. If the trolls somehow remain up by the time she get to melee distance, she will engage.
    Last edited by Pleonast; 04 Mar 2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: put in third person

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir's shield is still alight; he will lead Ceol and Theogrim at speed after the retreating trolls. Elendil!

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Brilliant! Lead on, then!"

find me at Goodreads

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol spurs Leofwin to follow Thoroncil, though the warhorse seems to need little encouragement.

"Eonwë! And for Rohan!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chasing as fast as I can reasonably run. If the trolls turn at bay I will stay fifty yards out of their reach and blow a rallying call on Glinras - most of the party should recognise the sound well enough.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, if the trolls have dropped their torches, better head off after them.

Don't want them getting out of sight now do we?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No, we don't. Gwaelur continues to pursue the Trolls.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Redward will follow those already tracking down the remaining trolls; I'll save congradulations until we're all done with them.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor will stay on the top of the hill where it's safe. He's not really the type that chases things down, pins them to the floor, and stabs them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

But of course. Kindly keep an eye on the Princess, if you would.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Will do. Hurry back.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Prestolwen seems resigned to her task and satisfies her irritation at being left an irksome task by the dwarves with a single speaking look at the back of them.

She then takes the recovered arrows to the stream and rinses them clean. Quiver full again, she joins the others, handing out arrows to those who had spent them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Of course she need not remain behind indefinitely if she'd rather help pursue the trolls.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, how quickly do we catch up with the trolls then?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Gil-Gandel and Ithilneth reach level ground and take off in pursuit at a speed the Hobbits and others on foot cannot match. They close the gap quietly and all but invisibly.

Rorimac and Mulligan follow along as well as they can. Thankfully even at night, Rorimac can follow a fleeing trolls path through grass and scrub at a fast pace.

The Horsemen reach the ground and begin their pursuit, Ceol give Leofwin his nose and the great horse pursues the trolls well with the help of the light from Thoroncir’s shield. The three lancers are gaining.

The Dwarves make it down the hillside as fast as the horses but find themselves unsure of what to do until Bitur points out the fast moving light and says “We’ll follow Thoroncir and just try to catch up, at a run Gwaelur, let’s move it.”

Redward realizes quickly he will need his trusty steed and calls for Durst. The head down and at the bottom Redward mounts and races after the others. He has the advantage of the two lights ahead of him.

Gilraen and Prestolwen work together on the tough job of retrieving the arrows and bolts and Gilraen’s cat Missy with a detect magic on her is scouting around for the stray missiles that missed.

Deor and Sala guard the camp and remaining horses.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gil-Gandel and Ithilneth close the gap to short range and let lose a pair of arrows, both hit but the trolls pull away again. They repeat this and Gil-Gandel hits and Ithilneth misses but the trolls turn to charge their foes. Gil-Gandel blows a rally cry on Glinras and Prestolwen hits with another arrow and the Elves turn and run towards the approaching horsemen.

They gain some distance and stop, spin and fire rapidly and another arrow strikes home, they fired so closely that they will need to check the arrows later to see who struck. With that they are off again.

Gil-Gandel gives a short verbal command to Ithilneth and they split off to avoid the lancers. Theogrim gives a war cry of Rohan as he says, "I see them now, lets have them". The three lancers go thundering at the trolls. One troll, the injured one stops and throws a rock at Thoroncir and hits at nearly the last moment for 7 more points, he is now down 22. The lead troll is stuck true by Theogrim for a critical blow. The lance goes completely through the troll and probably through the heart on the way. He is dead but it will take work this time to extract the lance. Thoroncir and Ceol both strike the injured troll and Thoroncir hits for 26 more. Ceol misses his foe. As they ride past, arrows come flying in from the Elves. Gil-Gandel hits twice more and Ithilneth once more and the troll staggers. Thoroncir is a little dazed but Theogrim rides in hard and strikes a mighty blow with his two-handed sword. The troll drops taking 20 more points. It is clear Theogrim is in his glory on the plains on his horse. Ceol is off his horse and ensures the troll shall harm another again.

The Hobbits arrive very soon and quickly realize it is time for a smoke. The Dwarves panting a bit slow down and grumble among themselves. Redward soons passes the Dwarves but all arrive shortly at the trolls.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well done, all, and especially our mighty Knights! Truly the men of Rohan are doers of great deeds. Do not remain here over-long but reform on our hilltop as soon as you are able; I go to carry the good news that these creatures are sped. Call if you have need."

With that it's back to camp to ensure all is well, and congratulate everyone for their efforts so far.

*Gil-Gandel's keen eyes seem to read Prestolwen's demeanour like an exercise for the student harper.*

"Is all well? Matters went at such a pace that I scarce had time to mention it before, yet I marked your keen eye and steady hand at the bowstring no matter the fuss and clamour. It is plain you were well taught and an able pupil."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

Theogrim dismounts and, placing a boot on the dead troll's chest, extracts his lance. As he replaces the prized weapon in its sling beside his saddle, he pats his horse on the neck, and compliments him on showing no fear of the trolls.

He then approaches the smoking hobbits. He has seen them do this several times before. "That smoke has a sweet smell. Can you show me how it is done?"

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir takes off his helmet and, despite his pain, says with a smile, "There will be time enough for smoking later, my friends. Come, let us search the remains of these foul trolls for any treasure, and then return to the hilltop as Gil-Gandel bade us, to ensure that all is still well with the rest of our party. Would any of my Hobbit or Dwarven friends like a ride back up the hill?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur suppresses his panting as much as possible and addresses Throncir with what anyone who is paying attention can obviously see is mock sincerity.

"Good Sir Knight, while I no doubt have plenty of vim and vigor left in me to make the trek back on foot, I will take you up on your offer since obviously the sooner we get back to the rest of our companions the better. We don't want to risk them being unprotected after all."

With that said, he winks at the knight and extends his hand out for a boost up onto the horse.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol nods to his new compatriots. His face betrays a bit of excitement, in the aftermath of the melee.

"Well fought, my friends. By the grace of the gods, we have defeated all of them, and with only a few wounds suffered."

He cleans his swords on the grass, then sheathes them, and mounts back up on Leofwin. He strokes the horse's neck.

"Indeed, if any would like a ride back up to our camp, I promise it will be less hurried than the trip down to here." He winks at the dwarves.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan searches over the trolls to see what trinkets she can find lying on the corpses. Pipe clenched in her teeth as she concentrates on her work, but stopping every so often for a gentle draw.

Rorimac blows smoke rings into the air while holding a torch up for Mulligan. "Theogrim, I would be delighted to introduce you to the art of smoking, but unfortunately I only have the one pipe here, but I do have a spare back at camp. I would gladly accept a ride back and I can tell you all about the art of pipe smoking, the best leaf to use, its history and so on."

Turning to Gil-Gandel. " I would guess in the morning, you would be interested in trying to track down the lair of these trolls and seeing where they would spend their days underground?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Theogrim smiles, mounts up, extends a hand for Rorimac's, and effortlessly pulls his little friend into the saddle in front of him.

find me at Goodreads

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Having noted the trolls' torches as they winked out, heard terrible screams immediately afterward, and then heard nothing at all, Deor shifts his feet nervously before sending Folca to see whether his friends are dead or not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Folca heads swiftly for the lights below and finds the party milling about the two dead trolls.

Theogrim's lance pulled out with much effort but is of course intact.

Mulligan finds the trolls each carry a large pouch but on careful inspection, they appear to be full of dried meats and oddly some spices and seasoning.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Prestolwen takes advantage of this (relatively) quiet time to cut snippets off nearby shrubs, and repack her pouches. She acknowledges Gil Gandel's kind words with a nod and a small smile.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir lifts Bitur onto the back of his warhorse, wincing from the effort (more due to his wounds than to Bitur's bulk), and they ride back up the hill.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09 Mar 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gwaelur turns to head back up the hill. He will accept offers of help back up (since Thoroncir is already carrying Bitur) but will not ask for any.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's a big, strong horse. I'm sure Gwaelur would fit, too, unless one of the other horsemen would like to give him a lift.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ceol has offer and indeed helps Gwaelur up.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

And once everyone is back: Yes, it is an excellent idea to seek out the lair of these trolls - not least so that we know if there be any more to deal with! We will resume our interrupted repose after everyone's hurts have been tended, mercifully light, the Valar be thanked. I was unsure of this campsite when I saw how little cover we had, but the ground certainly favoured us in this little skirmish. A good choice, Sala.

Again: well fought, everyone. To have disposed of such a number of trolls so handily is no mean feat. And, to be sure, all did their part, old hands and new alike.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well said, O gallant Elf-captain!," Sir Thoroncir says. "Our reconstituted band acquitted itself very well indeed in its first trial by combat. We were especially fortunate for having had the contributions of our newest members. My thanks to all."

He then happily submits to Gilraen's healing touch.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Once back at the camp, Ceol helps Gwaelur down off of Leofwin, then dismounts, and removes the saddle from his horse.

He smiles as he notes Gilraen healing Thoroncir.

"If anyone else suffered injury from the trolls, I, too, have some ability to grant healing, by Eonwë's grace."

+ Reply to thread