+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth FA64 D&D Game: Seventh Adventure – The Ruins of Old Hatha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well then, apparently we have seven trolls as a pipe-opener. If they would kindly oblige by passing through some reasonably heavy undergrowth, I'll start the ball rolling with an Entangle and hope to slow them down a little. Then follow up with a Faerie Fire on as many as I can get - which will be one, or two at the outside (three man-equivalents). We'd better concentrate on one as much as possible until it goes down - anything that can slow them down in the meantime would be well worth doing. I will go to bow after the spellcasting.

If we have a few minutes' grace, Gwaelur is no doubt the most expert aid we could give to Bitur.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Since Thoroncir is awake and able to protect Gilraen, Gwaelur will hurry to Bitur and help him with his armor.

"This will teach you not to take your armor off to go to sleep old friend. Come now, hurry up, we need your help with the trolls."

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Trolls are marching up the stony steep path, no accommodating undergrowth and none at the top of the hill that is bald.

Gwaelur is of great assistance to Bitur.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Gil-Gandel, are there any rocks we could roll down the hill at the trolls? That might be an effective way to open our assault without making our presence obvious. I don't think there are any tree trunks available on a bare hilltop, unless some has recently cleared it."

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Prestolwen arises, grabs her bow and arrow and checks for her dagger and healing pouch. She stands near Gilraen, ready to assist any who need it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There are indeed some rocks that might be useful for what Deor describes.

Gilraen greets Prestolwen, "I am never ready for battle or the sad aftermath. Good luck and keep safe."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Is the terrain suitable for a charge, once the battlefield is illuminated? If so, Sir Thoroncir will quietly saddle his warhorse, explaining his plan in Horse, and pick up a lance. If not, he'll nock an arrow in his bow.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Once the trolls crest the top of the path, yes it is suitable for a charge. On that don't Gilraen will prepare a light spell to cast and have her Golden Bauble ready to light up.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Addressing Gwaelur:

"Yeah, but at my age, sleeping in that stuff means I'm going to be feeling it in my bones for the next week. I must say this is one aspect of adventuring I didn't miss. But now's not the time for curmudgeonly complaints. There's business to be done. We have some trolls that are in need of introduction to some large rocks."

With that said, Bitur motions Gwaelur to help him push the boulders down the hill.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

If Gilraen's ready to cast her light spells, I'll hold onto that dragon toy.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gwaelur helps Bitur with the boulders.

"At the very least this should catch them by surprise."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir will mount up and prepare to charge when the moment is right, and invite Theogrim, Ceol and anyone else in the party to do the same.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 25 Feb 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Back to my flanking position once everyone is organised, then.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan looks round and shakes her head.

"Always thinking of fighting. So let me get this straight Gil-Gandel, we are going to attack 7 trolls on a hilltop in the middle of the night and announce our presence to everyone for 5 miles around, when Gilraen's bauble lights up.

How about, I wander down and lead a few of them away round the side of the hill away from the camp with the further prospect of a hobbit for lunch.

Might give us a better chance up here seeing as last time we had difficulty taking out two trolls let alone seven."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"'Divide and conquer' is almost always a wise policy," Thoroncir says with approval.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Do you think we should stop trying to roll boulders at them?

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Theogrim's mood brightens noticeably at the prospect of a mounted attack, and light to see by. Grinning, he quickly begins barding his horse.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Theogrim quickly realizes that there is no hope of barding his horse in time.
    Gwaelur should still be helping Bitur into his armor. Too soon for rolling rocks.
    Of course the Hobbit's plan could buy a lot more time to get ready.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol nods to Thoroncir, and sheathes his swords as he moves to where Leofwin is picketed. He strokes the horse's neck, and whispers, "Wake up, my friend. Danger approaches, and we are to answer the call."

He quickly saddles the warhorse. He then retrieves his lance, and saddles up, preparing to join in the charge.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Realizing there's no time to bard his horse, Theogrim settles for a hasty saddling. He pats his horse on the neck, saying "Don't worry friend, we'll get you through this without a scratch." He then mounts up and hefts his new lance.

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

To Mulligan: I wouldn't worry too much about the light being seen. If a seven-troll torchlight procession can be nearly in our faces before we spot anything despite having a commanding view for miles around, perhaps light doesn't carry as far around here as we're used to. More to the point, if these midnight feasts are a regular occurrence then I expect the locals are used to seeing at least as much light as a large bonfire up here at odd hours of the night.

But as has been said, divide and conquer is sound strategy, and you should find such dullards as these easy to outwit. Gwaelur, hold off on the boulders until we see whether Mulligan has enjoyed success; after a commotion breaks out, and particularly if you see some of the torches heading off, by all means increase the confusion.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Gwaelur should still be helping Bitur into his armor. Too soon for rolling rocks.

Sorry, I took your last post about me helping to mean that Bitur was armored and ready to go. My mistake.

"I think the more time we can buy ourselves and the fewer foes we have to tackle at one time, the better. I am in favor of this divide and conquer scheme of Mulligan's.

Now let's get a move on Bitur and get you into this armor."
    Last edited by NAF1138; 25 Feb 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

For what it is worth Gil-Gandel thinks back and realizes he first saw the torches near the bottom of the hill's steeper path, perhaps they were not lit until they started the steep climb. However those torches should indeed be seen far and wide once they near the top of the hill.

Mulligan and Rorimac make their surefooted and silent way down the hill until they near the loud and well lit trolls. They start saying, "This hill is not helping at all, I still don't see Port Hatha." and the other "Look we're lost and when we get to the top we should be able to see some lights in the distance." Suddenly Mulligan shrieks as if discovering the trolls and freezes pointing behind the trolls actually. Rorimac sees what she is pointing to and takes off running fast and planning to now disappear fast. For behind the 7 trolls was a much larger troll with a cow over his shoulders and a giant sword. He was not visible even to the Elves due to the glare of the 7 large torches and being in the shadows behind.

Rorimac takes off and uses his new cloak to vanish and then strikes for the path and races up the hill to warn of the eighth.

The trolls halt, the leader commands something in their foreign tongue and 4 trolls in pairs chase the 2 Hobbits. Mulligan races off now to lead a merry chase.

The commotion is fairly obvious to those waiting up top.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir peers down through the darkness as he brings his warhorse Baygir alongside Ceol's and Theogrim's mounts. He couches (sets) his lance and prepares to charge when the opportunity presents itself.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

On seeing four of the trolls running off, I'll Faerie Fire one of those left behind - rather than wind Glinras and alert the pursuers. If I can get more than one then well and good but I can only hit three man-equivalents. Duration is 12 rounds at my level. If the charge isn't going in by the time I'm done, I'll sting the same troll with arrows and if that means the charge hits him on the blind side, so much the better. But I'll have more than half an eye on a way of escape while I'm doing this, believe me.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Jan 2010

Following Gil-Gandel's lead, I'll loose arrows at the troll he's lit up, falling back as necessary to stay at range.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My fault, let me create a fast map. The trolls are still out of Faerie Fire range and still and a goodly arrow distance. The lead trolls are still roughly 25" or 750' downhill. This is extreme range for most of the archers. A -8 to hit. Faerie Fire is only 8" range. The trolls can probably come up the hill in a hurry at about 8" per round thus they are still over 3 rounds away. This is a very steep path and not easy to use, but then the trolls were certainly not expecting problem.

Last edited by What Exit?; 25 Feb 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

So the trolls are approaching from the west (left side of the page), up the purple path?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan thinks to herself, while heading off whimpering into the night.
    "Well, two trolls chasing me and two chasing Rorimac means 4 less those at the top have to face initially. Time to make some more noise and lead them on a merry dance for 5 or 10 mins, sting them a few times and draw them away. With any luck they may not go near the top at all."

Rorimac heads to the top to alert the rest of the party, hoping that Mulligan can handle 4 trolls by herself for a little while.

"Gil-Gandel, be glad we went down, there is a big, ugly, eighth troll at the back unseen with a really big sword. Mulligan should keep half of them occupied for the next 10 minutes, but the other four are still coming."

Registered
    Feb 2009

The steep nearly cliff like slope is the south slope and looks over to the Ruins of Old Hatha further to south. So the trolls are heading up the east path that is steep and indeed in purple. The trolls are represented by the 7 red dots and the black one behind the three on the path. The party came up the easy path on the long north west slope.

At this point the 4 trolls on the path are not moving and the others are in two pairs. One pair looking for Rorimac who they already lost.

Something will probably need to be done to get the trolls on the path moving again. For most of you arrows are largely useless at this range unless it is just to draw their attention.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor lights his brazier, shielding its flames from view by setting it behind a small scrub brush and covering the brush with a spare cloak.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I can arrange to draw their attention, and perhaps wound them slightly. Better play them a spot of Lindorn music.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Prestolwen slips silently down the rocks, in Mulligan's wake, careful not to overtake the two trolls chasing the Hobbit. Her bow held in readiness.
    Last edited by eleanorigby; 26 Feb 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Gil-Gandel, please lure the remaining trolls up the hill.

Ceol and Theogrim, let us wait for them to just crest the hill before we begin our charge.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Theogrim, sitting easily in the stirrups, inclines his lance slightly in agreement.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Jan 2010

(OOC : Sorry, we've had a sick cat all week, and I've been busy with that).

I would like to begin to cast a mass strength on the party; I can take 6 people. If I feel that I have time, I would like to prep Durst, and assume a flank position opposite Malacandra.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(At this range it's only harassing fire, so I shan't waste the good arrows yet.)

While we're waiting, I shall recite a few impromptu verses on one of the great battles of recent history, pitching my voice to be clearly audible to my nearby friends but indistinct to those trolls a very long bowshot away.

Let hearts of men be brave and bold
    and never cast a-down
    Recalling glory-days of old
    when heroes won renown.
    Uncounted were the thousands there
    before Stone-City's gate
    But brave men still did do and dare
    be ne'er the foe so great.
    Black-hearted were the Ring-lord's hordes
    and cruel beyond all telling
    But steadfast hearts and shining swords
    did deeds of might excelling;
    With courage bright they barred the way
    Until the cry of horn
    Gave note that come was brighter day
    And succour with the dawn!

Bardic poetry, +1 to hit for all allies within earshot for 10 rounds.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Strength spell is most effective for Rorimac from a +1/+0 bonus to a +2/+2 bonus and Koldanar +0/+0 (1) to +1/+3 (5-8)
    Very Effective for Gwaelur, Bitur, Sir Thoroncir, Ceol probably +0/+1 (on a 1) to +1/+2 (2-8 roll) to hit and damage and then Gil-Gandel +0/+1 to +1/+2. Least effective for Theogrim (max of +1/+1).

Redward increases the strength of Rorimac to 18:20 for a +1/+1 bonus. Himself to a 18:30 for a +1/+2 bonus, Gwaelur, Bitur, Air Thoroncir and Ceol all to 18:00 for an extra +1/+2 to hit and damage.

Gil-Gandel now inspires his friends old and new with another +1 to hit and Gilraen is singing her Song of Estë which gives all a +1 save and -1 to be hit and damage.

Gilraen stays behind the lines blending in with some rocks and waiting to help whoever will need it.

The lines are formed, the warriors armored and many of the horses barded. Battle lines are formed and lances are readied by Thoroncir, Ceol and Theogrim. Prestowen not being able to see Mulligan, joins the archer line instead. Sala's rapier is useless against the hide of a troll.

Code:
    Gwaelur Bitur Rorimac Gil-Gandel Prestolwen Ithilneth Redward brazier Deor
    Sala. . . . . . . . . . . . . Thor. Ceol Theo.
    Gilraen rest of horses

The 5 archers release arrows and Gwaelur and Bitur fire bolts from their Dwarven crossbows. They all aim for the closest troll.
    The range gives a -8 and the Elf Bows are all -3 vs. the Trolls’ hide of B. The Dwarven crossbows are only -1.This round the torches avoid the normal darkness penalties, making for easier targets.

Rorimac amazes himself and hits once, Gil-Gandel and Prestolwen each hits once for a total of 34 points of damage. The trolls attention has been grabbed. The trolls begin charging up the hill, the injured troll drops his torch.

Mulligan continues her game tag with her two dimwitted foes. Every time they look ready to give up see fakes tripping and make fake noises of pain or reveals herself briefly to their view and leads them down the hill. The other two trolls though start back up the hill, only 2 rounds behind the main 4.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the next round the archers unleash again at ranges of 22” down to 14”. The Dwarves fire at only -2 to hit and the archers are -5. The Dwarves, Rorimac and Redwall fire on a troll carrying a torch. Gil-Gandel Prestolwen and Ithilneth fire on the injured troll. Both Dwarves have +2 Bolts to use and Gil-Gandel sees it is a good time for his +3 Dwarven arrows. Deor realizes his Web spell won’t help without endangering those planning to charge and with his Brazier lit fires off his fireball at a range of 18” with and increase area of effect hitting all four trolls for 44 points base.

The injured and burnt troll is hit twice by Gil-Gandel, once by Ithilneth and twice by Prestolwen for 37 more. This troll took 71 points from arrows and some amount from the fireball. It drops to the ground and rolls backwards a small bit and appears dead.

Rorimac fires 3 +2 elven arrows and hits twice for 33 points on the fresh troll. He thinks that those hits are worth the certain loss of his magic arrows. Redward know the range is still too much for him and misses with a pair of normal arrows. Gwaelur and Bitur each hit once for another 24 to bring this troll to 57 points. He amazingly does not drop his torch. The three continue up the hill making faster effort.

The Range should be from 13” down to 2” this next round. However a troll might trip or slip in their haste. The Dwarves must fire early and switch to melee, let me know if any of the archers switch over. Gilraen now holds aloft her gift from Galadriel and lights up this part of the hill with the light of Gil-Estel, the Star of High Hope. She uses the Rod of Kanotir to put a light spell on Thoroncir’s large shield. She is prepared to cast one on the large troll’s sword when she sees him.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 01 Mar 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan will keep playing for a couple of minutes more and continue moving them away.

Rorimac will switch from his bow to both short swords if he can, join in after the cavalry has charged and move in from the side or if possible from behind.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I will carry on with bow-fire and strongly recommend Prestolwen and Ithilneth do likewise. We should try to loose off a few seconds apart so we can concentrate on one target at a time while minimising the chance of overkill.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Jan 2010

Once the melee has started in earnest (wait a couple rounds), Ithilneth will switch to her blades and support whoever on the front-line needs it the most.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor will again try to finish off trolls with a Fireball. If there does seem to be a melee getting started, though, he'll cast Levitate and get out of the fray.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As the trolls get closer, he believes they only took ¼ damage from the Fireball. He might want to try a different spell in this case. Magic missiles he knows work at full.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Magic Missiles it is, then. Darn.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Leofwin eagerly paws at the ground. "Wait, my friend...not quite yet," Ceol whispers, as he checks his grip on his lance.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gwaelur is ready to switch to melee as soon as is feasible, but would like to try and get in one more volley with his xbow first. He will recover his bolts after the battle.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir is surprised but pleased by the light spell put on his shield by his beloved Gilraen, and appreciates the strength spell from Redward, too. He shifts eagerly in the saddle, lance still at the ready, but does not charge just yet.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gilraen, I don't suppose you have one of those light spells you could cast on me for melee? I am bad with magic and don't know exactly what it would be called, but something to help light me up or dazzle the trolls or otherwise give us an edge?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur will try his crossbow one more round and then drop it in exchange for axe and shield.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I hope I gave everyone enough time.

Redward winds his horn to inspire his allies; it gives a +1 for friendly attacks and saving throws and -1 on like enemy dice for 6 rounds.

Gilraen tosses an extended light spell on Gwaelur’s Helm. It lights up brilliantly.

The three trolls continue their charge up the hill. None slip, but as they close in the arrows continue to fly. The next two are further behind. The range is from 13” down to 2” this round. The Dwarves fire at point blank for a +2 to hit.

The archers fire at only -2 or 0. Redward fires at only -1 or 0. Gil-Gandel, Prestolwen and Ithilneth fire on the healthy troll without a torch.

Gil-Gandel uses his +3 Dwarven arrows to hit His first arrows hits the troll in the mouth and his second in the right eye. It was a pair of critical hits back to back for 48 points. Prestolwen’s first three shots with her +1 silver arrows are 3 hits for 27. Ithilneth’s hits only once on her first two shots but it is enough to drop the troll.

Redward fires his first +2 Dwarven arrow into the injured troll with the torch and hits for 11 points. Rorimac fires 3 more +2 elven arrows and hits twice more for 30 points on the injured troll and it drops. He quickly switches to swords to be ready to help the lancers.

Theogrim leads the charge down the hill and strikes true with his new +5 lance for 54 points of damage. The leader is knocked down and Redward’s final +2 arrow goes at the leader and hits for 10 points. The Dwarves fire at point blank for a +2 to hit on the big troll. Gwaelur uses his +4 Mithril Bolts and Bitur a +2 Dwarven. Gwaelur’s bolts both hit and one seems to have hit a major artery. He does 37 damage to the leader. Bitur hits for 16. The leader is down.

Deor uses his 4 magic missiles on the next troll for 13 and at greater range Gil-Gandel’s next two +3 arrows miss. Prestolwen’s last 3 shots with her +1s hit twice for 18 and Ithilneth hits once for 6. That should be 37 total.

The round ends with Thoroncir and Ceol well lit against the next two trolls. Theogrim readies his lance and prepares to follow them.
    Thoroncir hits for 40 and Ceol hits for 30. This troll is down and looks dead. The remaining troll swipes at the well lit Thoroncir but misses.

The remaining trolls pursuing Mulligan decide it is time to leave.

Rorimac is swiftly on the leader and stabs his sword deep into the eye-socket and ensures the troll is dead.

The last troll is a good 15” from the archers but Theogrim is set to strike him and it is actually facing the wrong direction.

Gwaelur and Bitur have their axes out and are on the other downed trolls to ensure that they are dead.

+ Reply to thread