Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1307

Thread: Middle Earth FA64 D&D Game: Seventh Adventure – The Ruins of Old Hatha

Registered
    Jul 2010

Yes, press on. We will guard the rear!

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac notes the runes are Elvish or at least Númenórean. It actually appears to be the finer Tengwar of Fëanor in fact. The Tengwar lettering spells out BELETHIL for those that can read them. Rorimac notes it actually feels, well, Good.

Redward finally completes his Mass Strength spell. It increases the strength and thus “to hits” and "damages" in melee for 6 members. He raises his own to the 18:10 range for a +1/+2, Rorimac to 18:51 for a +1/+2, Thoroncir, Bitur, Gwaelur and Ceol to 18:00 for a +1/+2 overall.

The party starts up the steps. As they get two floors up they hear wailing below. Probably at the webs. There are two doors. The lower one should lead to the royal apartments and the window that the enemy was casting from. The upper should lead to a large guard room.

Both doors are locked.

They reach the top floor, do they maintain the marching order or change it up?
    Does Rorimac do anything else with the Ring?

__/_________________/
    _/_Ceol Thoroncir___ /
    /_Mull. Gilraen _____/
    |Deor_Redward_Rori_|
    |___Drinoleth _Bitur Door
    |_Ithilneth____Sala _|
    \Gil-Gandel Prestolwen\
    _\Gwaelur Theogrim___\
    __\__________________\

Last edited by What Exit?; 04 Oct 2010 at 07:06 PM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor will program his little dragon toy to fly out the window, light the Webs on fire, and return. He'll release it only just before the Webs would expire naturally, anyway.

Are we on the 10th floor, with only the roof above us? Deor will lay down another Web behind the party before we advance.

To use another Fireball, Deor's going to have to burn a 4th-level spell. The only one that he's got prepared today is ID at distance, and I'm willing to wait a day for any sketchy items in favor of pressing forward now.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 04 Oct 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Does the word BELETHIL ring any bells for me? Not that this is the best of times for recalling old tales of lore, but it's amazing what the trained mind will throw up.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Gil-Gandel knows it translates closest to "Divine Radiance".

Only the roof is above the party. The Stairway is not really accessible by any windows.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    ...There are two doors. [1] The lower one should lead to the royal apartments and the window that the enemy was casting from. [2] The lower should lead to a large guard room.

Both doors are locked....
    I assume that [1] would be the upper door?

Thoroncir suggests our burglars, er, treasure finders check the doors to the royal apartments for traps, and that we then break them down forthwith and slay anything we find therein.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Royal Apartments are the lower door allowing for higher ceilings.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"I agree, Thoroncir. The apartments seem to be more likely."

He says a short prayer to Eonwë, in a clear voice, hoping to bolster the party's will.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan steps forward, looks the door to the Royal Apartment over and starts to get to work on working out the best way to open it.

Being Hobbit-like, ie. inquisitive, Rorimac puts the ring on his finger, trusting to his instincts and that anything with Elven script on it is unlikely to be evil. If nothing untowards happens, he will reach into his pack and pulls out three vials (potions of Super Heroism), passing one to Sala, one to Bitur and keeping the third himself.

"Ready when you are."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan is baffled by the door but sure it is magically locked and trapped. Very dangerous she thinks.

Rorimac puts on the ring and it begins to get warm, infuses his body with a great sense of comforting warmth and then the ring breaks into dazzling brilliance. Under the light of the ring the door shows strange arcane symbols that begin to melt away. From beyond the door is heard a horrifying and horrible screeching that Rorimac and Sala both understand as, “Noooo! It is not my time yet. Arise fog and mist, arise the dead, arise and protect your lord!”

To others it appears almost as if Rorimac has grown to great stature, some Elven Hero of the storied first age. The sword in the hand with the ring is blazing like the sun.

The symbols are nearly gone. What next?

Also does anyone drink the potions?
    Last edited by What Exit?; 05 Oct 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac downs the potion. Then he steps forward quickly holding his hand with the ring to the door until the last of the symbols have gone.

After that, he will try to open the door in front to lead the others in with the ring outstretched in front of him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The potion infuses him with power and ability. He is temporarily 10th level and has 40 extra hit points

The door still does not open, but he gets the feeling he can bash this barrier aside with his sword to get to his foe.

Registered
    Feb 2009

In which case, that door's next job is toothpicks

Rorimac starts smashing away at it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

On the first blow the door gives way. Rorimac sees a dark figure about 12' away and 7 more wights.

This time Gilraen is fast to bring her own bauble to brilliance and gives the ancient command Aina Galad to the Rod of Kanotir the flashes even brighter than Rorimac and using her belt she too glows like an ancient Elf of the light. All this seems to be enhanced even further by the BELETHIL ring's own brilliance. Missy the little cat of Lothlórien lets out a great howl and the 7 wights are shattered by Gilraen's command and no trace is left of them.

The great wraith rears back in great fear. Retreat in fright and amazement.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 05 Oct 2010 at 09:36 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Feeling completely hyper on magic, legends and power, Rorimac charges the creature in front of him. No words of elvish or words of power, just a cry of "Chaaaaarge!!"

Mulligan decides to steer clear of this doorway, but keeps an eye on the guardroom door, in case we get flanked.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor would let loose a Fireball, but Rorimac is pretty much smack in the way, so if there's a piece of the dark figure larger than a breadbox left after Rorimac attacks it, Deor will use Magic Missile on it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sir Thoroncir, knight-errant of Gondor, is surprised by Rorimac's transformation but nevertheless rushes into the room, a few steps behind the hobbit. His shield is up and his magical blade Cirist is at the ready... although it looks like Rori has the situation well in hand.

Registered
    Jul 2010

As usual, Gwaelur checks to the rear, making sure they are not attacked from behind while accosting the dark figure and wights.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

This seems to be Rorimac's CMoA, so it's probably my cue to make mental notes for the song such a deed will demand in time... but that wraith can have a Faerie Fire to pretty him up, as I'm loaded with it for now.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol raises an eyebrow in surprise by Rorimac's charge, but accompanies Sir Thoroncir to back up the transformed hobbit, his holy swords glimmering.

"By Eonwë! Guide our blades, my lord, that we might end the threat of this necromancer!"
    Last edited by kenobi65; 05 Oct 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur will down his potion and move to attack the creature from its flank.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The potion infuses Bitur with power and ability. He is temporarily 10th level and has 36 extra hit points.

Rorimac is first to the Wraith but Thoroncir and Ceol are swiftly upon the foul and dark foe to either side. Bitur is but a step behind and moves to the left rear flank.
    Gil-Gandel casts a Faerie Fire on their foe. The Wraith is even easier to hit now.

Rorimac swing with his ancient blade of the Dúnedain, enchanted against wraiths all those centuries ago. It is aglow with the ring's even more ancient power. He strikes and hits and the Wraith shudders and screams out, "I am unmade, the light tears at me." Ceol strikes true with his Holy Sword dedicated to Eonwë. Thoroncir hits with Cirist and the sword shines bright.

Meanwhile the upper door to the guardroom flies open and out pours a few wights and several living corpses. Gwaelur and Theogrim move swiftly to protect the party with Redward attempting to turn them. He turns 5 of the living corpses. Gwaelur lays about with his Dwarven Axe and War Shield and Theogrim works to hold off the wights. Deor launches a Fireball into the room. He hits a dozen or more corpses and a few of the wights. 5 corpses collapse burning. Ithilneth joins the mêlée using the Elven Short Sword that does double vs. intelligent undead and may strike incorporeal evil spirits. The three hold off the wights and Prestolwen shoots a few corpses over Gwaelur's Helm. Gwaelur gives the command that sets Rilthol – Helm of Brilliance to Light Blast the undead doing 22 points to all of them. This and the mêlée work hold off the foes.

Rorimac strikes again with the Dúnedain blade from the far north and with Kkósal Bane. Ceol strikes true with his Holy Sword dedicated to Eonwë. Bitur hews the Wraith with axe and Dwarven shield, his shield imbued to fight the undead. Then Thoroncir swings over Rorimac’s head with Cirist in a great arc and slices through the Wraith’s neck cleanly. Cirist is glowing like it never has before.

The wraith passes from the world in a great shadow, the tower shudders and the hill shakes and the day clears as the mist and fog drifts off. Was the son of Meriadoc the Magnificent the person destined to kill this ancient horror or was it just happy coincidence?

Gilraen sees the great foe dead and turns to the lesser battle and exclaims, "A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!" the wights wither and die.

The three fighters of three races make short work of the remain light blasted corpses.

Drinoleth steps in the royal apartment and casts a Detect Magic. There is a Ring on the ground where the Wriath was but Ceol says this is evil. There is a metal strongbox near the wall that has magic on it and within and the tower radiates magic but the magic is fading.

Rorimac appears to dwindle back to his normal size and height though a softer glow still surrounds him. The ring seems almost to speak to Meriadoc's son, "Child of the gentle north, you have completed my mission. Long centuries ago I tried to clear this town and tower but failed and lost my companions. Finally I may head for the Halls of Mandos. This ring you may keep as it should help you in the future. Let it light your way against the dark and help you against the undead. Never fear those that will drain your life away. I also believe that you will now be able to understand all languages of Humans and Elves and maybe a few other creatures too. Tarry not long now for this building is no longer stable with the old spells broken. Your job here is complete. Thank you."

With that it appears the unknown Elven Warrior has faded away.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 06 Oct 2010 at 02:13 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

We had better flee ere the tower fall. Can we manage the strong box? Any quick way to tell if it is safe to move?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Drinoleth says, "It is not evil and the worst traps are usually fire or lightning traps so back off and I will try to move it a bit, I have little fear of fire and lightning."

He pulls the box and has one embarrassing problem. He falls over backwards. He says, "This box weighs far less than even the metal of the strongbox itself should weigh." Also it flames up in a large jet as he pulls it but as he said, that is not his worry.

Sala hands Rorimac back the potion, "Just as well I was too afraid to face that last one, at least your potion is preserved."

Drinoleth says, "Allow me to quickly check the guardroom and the inanimate dead for more magic, Ceol please come with me."

Deor, your webs still would block the way out, do you send the dragon to handle this as mentioned before?
    Last edited by What Exit?; 07 Oct 2010 at 07:56 AM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Can Folca see if the top of the tower is clear? Or is it worth a look? Deor can Fly off the top if things get hairy...

And no, we'll deal with the webs as approach them. If there's something good or evil caught in the webs, we might want to deal with it differently as we see it.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 06 Oct 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Well fought, one and all. Particularly you, Master Rorimac."

Ceol gestures towards the Wraith's ring. "Evil suffuses the ring. I am not certain that any of us should pick it up, but I do feel that we should not simply leave it here. Even if the tower collapses into rubble, the ring would likely still be whole, and able to work some foul spell once more."
    Last edited by kenobi65; 06 Oct 2010 at 11:26 AM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"I agree. Let's wrap it carefully and take it with us; I'll check it out in the morning. It might be possible to cleanse the taint or else to destroy it entirely."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Folca reports the top of the tower is still clear. Some of the lower buildings appear to be collapsed.

How to handle the Ring is a good question.

Registered
    Jul 2010

The glittering of the ring's gold catches Gwaelur's eye, but he pauses. 'Remember the trouble your longfathers brought upon themselves the last time they dabbled in rings,' he reminds himself. "Yes, it should be destroyed," he says out loud.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Folca says the roof is clear and the outbuildings are collapsing. Let's run before we get trapped."

Registered
    Jan 2010

"We have prevailed!", happily exclaims Ithilneth. "Do we have any better way to leave this tower than racing back the way we came?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Drinoleth says, "Flying or climbing out the window but that might well be worse."

Gwaelur and Bitur both feel this tower at least should stand for some time. It was better built and better preserved than all the others.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan appraises the ring with a keen eye. "Let me handle it for the moment. At least this way, you know who has it, rather than me being curious later on." She carefully picks up the ring with her cloak and deposits into a small pouch.

"Hobbits are supposed to be good with rings, on which note Gil-Gandel, please hold on to this for me." She passes across the ring of invisibility she has been wearing. "Just in case, you understand."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac tries to contain the very broad grin currently covering his face. "I believe my father will enjoy listening to this story."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan actually feels no ill effects from Ring. Though of course she has yet to touch it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"It seems as though we may have a small amount of time, if we want to attempt to open the strongbox before departing. Otherwise, I would say, we should make haste to depart."

Ceol turns to Mulligan. "Do not worry, my friend...if you start to exhibit signs of possession by the ring, we shall simply beat you senseless." He says this with a perfectly straight face, before giving the hobbit-lass a subtle wink.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Let us hope it will not come to that, Ceol," Thoroncir replies, smiling at both the jest and at the favorable outcome of the battle. "You may underestimate hobbits only at your peril, I think. And so I say, well done, Rorimac! But come, my friends, let us retrace our steps downward, taking what prizes we safely can, and slaying what foes still remain while making our way out of this dread tower."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Ithilneth smiles. "I have neglected some of my crafts. I can safely send many of us down to a lower level." Having not cast any spells yet today, she can Feather Fall eight persons, with a pair of of hobbits counting as one person, down 50 feet.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Truly, and did not the Shirefolk withstand the lure of the most corrupting Ring that ever was? Not least among them Samwise Gardner, who for loyalty's sake did off the One and willingly gave it to another after wearing it - a deed which, perhaps, had been beyond even Mithrandir or the Lady Galadriel. As for the Took and Brandybuck of noble fame, they were the Ringbearer's companions for many miles and never sought to possess it, though they openly named in charming innocence that which the Wise spoke of only in whispered allusions. No, I think we need have little to fear on Mulligan's account; but I will keep this useful bauble safe as asked.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally posted by Pleonast View post
    Ithilneth smiles. "I have neglected some of my crafts. I can safely send many of us down to a lower level." Having not cast any spells yet today, she can Feather Fall eight persons, with a pair of of hobbits counting as one person, down 50 feet.
    I think the tower may be taller than that... But no rush. Let's make an orderly retreat downstairs with this strongbox.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As the party goes downstairs Thoroncir will again take the lead, unless one of his companions yearns for the post.

But the knight-errant first takes a moment to speak quietly to Princess Gilraen, saying, "I hope you are well, my lady? You, too, should be proud of yourself for your role in vanquishing our foes today. Your singing lifted all our hearts, your healing touch once again worked its tender magic, and the light of your bauble, in glory, helped cast out the darkness that had gathered too thickly and too long around this foul place." He kisses her fair and royal hand before donning his war-helm yet again.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan smiles at the comments. "A beating, you say. Well I did give up that ring to make it at least a fair fight for you." She winks back at Ceol, and then addresses the rest of the party.

"If we have a little time left and nothing chasing us, can I suggest we check the other floors on the way down. Hopefully no remnants remain now the greater evil has been banished and if the magic surrounding this place is vanishing, it should be easier to open them. But it is always good to make sure"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac turns to Gil-Gandel. "Umm, could you say something obscure in Elvish. I'm curious as to whether I hear it in my language or whether I just understand it or perhaps a mix of both. Actually, maybe I should just let this ring do its job without thinking about it."

He thinks for a moment and joins Thoroncir at the front. "I no longer fear anything in this tower, which is probably a stupid thing to say, but I will join you in leading the way down."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Who carries the Strongbox? Do you check the guard room on the way out before heading down?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol will volunteer to carry the strongbox (just in case there is some lingering evil taint affecting it, though he apparently did not sense anything like that on it). He would also agree to checking the guard room.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Drinoleth, Ceol and Mulligan look into the guard room. There is no evil found and no more creatures. On the floor of the room is a variety of weapons of all sorts. All in good shape and many silvered or bejeweled. Two scimitars and a mace are magical. There are also 5 arrows in a quiver of 20. The other 15 are silver tipped and finely made. The none magic weapons would probably fetch a fair price but would be hard to carry out. Do you try to gather them up or select a few of the best? Who takes the magic ones?

Anything else at the top or do you start down?
    Last edited by What Exit?; 07 Oct 2010 at 08:50 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol will leave others to claim the magical weapons, being happy with his Eonwë-blessed blades. He'll also defer to the hobbits to evaluate which of the weapons are valuable enough to take along.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan suggests that we take the magic weapons and will look quickly to see if it is possible to remove the jewels from their sockets on the weapons.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan might want a Dwarf or two to assist. Drinoleth agrees this is a good idea. Sala who had wondered in pulls out a very nice looking pick and begins to work on some of the jewels. Mulligan has tools to begin too.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Let's see what we can get quickly from these weapons. Small silver or jewelled, keep. Large Jewelled, strip down. Large silver discard." Mulligan gets everyone to work who can. "While we do this, I would check the lower floors to save a bit of time."

+ Reply to thread