+ Reply to thread

Thread: Every single word of this (song, story, etc) is bullshit. I still love it

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Every single word of this (song, story, etc) is bullshit. I still love it

Have you ever listened to a song, read a story, or watched a drama and walked away with conflicting emotional & intellectual reactions? Well, then this is the thread for you.

Recently I happened to come across a song I remember from the 80s: "Graverobber," by the Christian rock band Petra. As you might guess, the song is about the promise of resurrection; the band's name is an reference to Christ's charge to St. Peter, and the title alludes to a verse from the Bible I am too lazy to look up.

I do not believe in immortality or resurrection. In fact, I'll go further than that; I think believing in life after death is a positively bad thing, apt to cause people to neglect ways of dealing with real (read: material) problems in favor of a fantasy that will never come to pass. But nonetheless I simply love this song. And not because it reminds me of my childhood; I just think it rocks.

Anyway...that's just me. What about the rest of you?
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Mar 2009

When the Germans invaded Denmark in WWII, they deposed the then current monarch, Christian, but otherwise left him alone, as a respected citizen of what they considered one of their racial brethren. As such, his stoicism in accepting his reduced status did a lot to help keep the Danish people from engaging in a futile and bloody resistance.

Until the order came for the Danish Jews to be made to wear yellow stars under the racial purity laws.

The story is that Christian heard the order, and then the next day started going out with a yellow star on his clothes. And this provided the impetus for the Danish people's phenomenal effort to preserve as many of their Jewish neighbors as they might.

The story is wonderful, the truth is a bit less so. As far as anyone knows, Christian never did don the yellow star, but that doesn't change that the Danish people reacted in a thoroughly amazing way to their occupation and the Nazi racial programs.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmm. To go with the song or story part of the OP, one of my favorite songs is Chris De Burgh's Crusader.

Basically it's a highly romanticized description of the Crusades, painting the Crusaders as good guys.

Obviously, it's so contrary to fact as to be risible. I still love it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Chiming in as another person who views religion as entirely bullshit:

Sufjan Stevens' "The Transfiguration", the lyrics are practically lifted right out of the Bible.

Oh, and Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play" is entirely about a man's journey through the afterlife. It's way too long to link the entire thing (for those unfamiliar, it's a 45 minute album that is really just one long track), but here's an excerpt:

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have a great love of historical fiction, including the Showtime series The Tudors. Talk about every word being bullshit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm a non-believer, but I love Jesus Christ Superstar.

I Don't Know How To Love Him is among my all time favorites.

Last edited by jali; 20 Feb 2010 at 09:32 PM.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have been known to randomly start singing that song in public, jali.

My life, she is a musical.

Registered
    Feb 2009

One more - my favorite:
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, this stupid song, Sting's "Fill Her Up". It is utter glurge in music form. I cringe at two particular lines near the end, but for some reason I really like the song overall.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I have been known to randomly start singing that song in public
    Just that song?

Registered
    Mar 2009

This song is complete and utter bullshit.

'Cause I want to live like animals
    Careless and free like animals
    Pretty sure they're not very careless.

Animals and children tell the truth, they never lie
    Which one is more human
    There's a thought, now you decide
    Nah, actually, you have to teach kids not to lie. They come by it naturally. Babies start fake crying before they can speak!

Compassion in the jungle
    Definitely not any of that.

But, I still the song.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Rage Against the Machine- Killing in the Name Of. Or any of their anti American crap lyrics but damn those mother fuckers can rock.

Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This song is a clichéd Christian country pop dirge but I still love it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This song is a clichéd Christian country pop dirge but I still love it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmmm how did I post that twice and still balls it up?

Registered
    Nov 2009

In the movie Cabaret.......the song "Tomorrow Belongs to Me." Love it.

Have to admit though, it's not so much the song as the "technique." You see it a lot in movies.........one person begins something, then a second person joins in, then a few more and a few more until everybody is on the bandwagon. It shows up a lot in old movies like Taras Bulba where Yul Brenner sets out practically alone to attack Warsaw (or somewhere) and then is joined by one Cossack tribe after another until he's leading a mighty army. Same thing in Alfred the Great. And in Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, at the end where everyone joins in on the whole love-hippy thing.

There's probably a name for this technique but I don't know what it is............but I am an absolute SUCKER for it.

Registered
    Nov 2009

In the movie Cabaret.......the song "Tomorrow Belongs to Me." Love it.

Have to admit though, it's not so much the song as the "technique." You see it a lot in movies.........one person begins something, then a second person joins in, then a few more and a few more until everybody is on the bandwagon. It shows up a lot in old movies like Taras Bulba where Yul Brenner sets out practically alone to attack Warsaw (or somewhere) and then is joined by one Cossack tribe after another until he's leading a mighty army. Same thing in Alfred the Great. And in Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, at the end where everyone joins in on the whole love-hippy thing.

There's probably a name for this technique but I don't know what it is............but I am an absolute SUCKER for it.

Registered
    Feb 2010

The Bible and the Koran.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I thought of one that isn't a song, though it's been years since I watched it.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon:

an anime where the main character, at the end of every one of it's five seasons, defeats her enemy literally with the power of her love. If that isn't complete bullshit, I don't know what is.

Heck, I even love the live action version.

+ Reply to thread