+ Reply to thread

Thread: Great unconventional characters in children's TV

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Great unconventional characters in children's TV

A few days ago I started a thread on cliches in children's TV. In a way this thread is about the opposite: Great memorable and original characters.

Let me introduce you to Bernd das Brot (Bernd the Bread).

He is a depressive tin loaf from our public children's TV channel. While so much kids TV presents an ever-cheerful yet vacuous idyll, here we have a perpetually grumpy co-presenter of an infomercial-in-a-show hating his job. Bernd's stated hobby is staring at the wallpaper in his apartment. One of his catch phrases is "My life is hell."

It is a great award-winning show that teaches kids valuable lessons about the full range of human life, personal integrity and tolerance. As a bonus it encourages a little critical thinking about the messages of television.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That is hilarious.

This one is hardly obscure, but definitely not a cliche: Oscar the Grouch. Unlike a lot of other misanthropic characters out there, he doesn't have a lesson to learn and suddenly he'll turn friendly. This is simply his personality. He's grumpy and he compulsively hoards trash.

Also, he is Canadian.

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    That is hilarious.

This one is hardly obscure, but definitely not a cliche: Oscar the Grouch. Unlike a lot of other misanthropic characters out there, he doesn't have a lesson to learn and suddenly he'll turn friendly. This is simply his personality. He's grumpy and he compulsively hoards trash.

Also, he is Canadian.
    I want proof of that final assertion.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    That is hilarious.

Also, he is Canadian.
    That was the first one I thought of, is he really Canadian though?

I can't actually think of another one.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My citation:

(It's a fifteen minute long interview, though.)

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Though now ridiculously over exposed, Sponge Bob was a pretty big risk once.

Shrill, savagely annoying and goofy looking, but, (at least when the show was good) a great character. Always believed in a positive outcome,
    believed in family and friendship, was fiercely loyal, blind to other peoples faults, and always
    tried to better himself.

Sly gay Squidward jokes were just a fabulous bonus.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, Oscar has a similar role although Bernd is far more miserable and resigned while doing his job.

Sponge Bob is almost exactly the opposite character, but I remember how unusual he was when the show was new.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, Sponge Bob is fairly unusual. He isn't smart, but there's a certain nobility to him all the same.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I tried to find a good clip of the bread in action but unfortunately the only things with subtitles are two somewhat atypical specials.

+ Reply to thread