+ Reply to thread

Thread: Caffeine In Tea (and) I Must Be Getting Old

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Caffeine In Tea (and) I Must Be Getting Old

Two things, pretty closely related.

Anyone know how much caffeine the black tea at Starbucks packs?

I am an iced tea hound, and consume a lot of it daily--usually with no ill effect.

BUT, a couple of vente teas fron SB and my head feels like it's going to
    explode and I swear I can hear my heart pounding.

Secondly...

Might anyone know if, as we age, we tend to tolerate caffeine less well?

It seems odd to me that I get the shakes now, drinking less of the juice, than I did when in my twenties, pounding stuff with caffeine.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 18 Feb 2010 at 03:20 PM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It varies Oliveloaf. It does affect me more as I age, but my wife and MIL it still barely affects at all and they can still drink cups of coffee at night.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay this is not really much help since I don't know any specific answers, but black tea typically has about half the caffeine of the same amount of black coffee. Some googling is giving me figures in the range of 40-100 milligrams in a cup. (For context, you'd expect maybe 100-200 mg for a cup of coffee, or 40 or so per can of caffeinated soda.) I assume that means a 6 oz. tea cup, so double or triple that for typical Starbucks drink sizes. Two venti teas, depending how long you steep them, would definitely be enough caffeine to make a lot of people uncomfortable.

Anecdotally, I think my caffeine tolerance may have fallen some and I'm only in my mid twenties. My parents both have to be really careful with the amount of coffee they drink, and I think they used to suck it down pretty freely like I do.

Also, I read that one's caffeine tolerance drops after quitting smoking because the nicotine stimulates your body to clear the caffeine out. I know that when I first quit, and unthinkingly kept drinking the same amount of coffee and drinking it into the afternoon, I had some trouble sleeping for a few days.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Okay this is not really much help since I don't know any specific answers, but black tea typically has about half the caffeine of the same amount of black coffee. Some googling is giving me figures in the range of 40-100 milligrams in a cup. (For context, you'd expect maybe 100-200 mg for a cup of coffee, or 40 or so per can of caffeinated soda.) I assume that means a 6 oz. tea cup, so double or triple that for typical Starbucks drink sizes. Two venti teas, depending how long you steep them, would definitely be enough caffeine to make a lot of people uncomfortable.

Anecdotally, I think my caffeine tolerance may have fallen some and I'm only in my mid twenties. My parents both have to be really careful with the amount of coffee they drink, and I think they used to suck it down pretty freely like I do.

Also, I read that one's caffeine tolerance drops after quitting smoking because the nicotine stimulates your body to clear the caffeine out. I know that when I first quit, and unthinkingly kept drinking the same amount of coffee and drinking it into the afternoon, I had some trouble sleeping for a few days.
    I am a lousy sleeper.

Which is really the caffeine paradox. Drink too much, can't sleep, drink more to stay away. Rinse and repeat.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Which is really the caffeine paradox. Drink too much, can't sleep, drink more to stay away. Rinse and repeat.
    That's exactly what happened to me when I quit smoking. Couldn't sleep, had to chug a lot of coffee to get through the day, then more trouble sleeping.

Registered
    Mar 2009

http://www.energyfiend.com/2007/10/t...bucks-caffeine

That website is a pretty good resource for caffeine content in general.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Fantastic link, Taumpy!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I love the "Death by Caffeine" section. 287 cans of Mountain Dew = dead Taumpy.

+ Reply to thread