+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are most male Olympic figure skaters gay? (AIB hairdresser thread)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Are most male Olympic figure skaters gay? (AIB hairdresser thread)

AIB this thread, and the Olympics, of course.

It's a commonly held stereotype that male figure skaters are gay, but does flamboyance on the ice necessarily mean flamboyance off of it? I don't think so, but my WAG is that there's a higher percentage of gay male figure skaters than among the population at large.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I think there are probably more gay figure skaters than there are gay athletes in other sports, just because it's a little easier to be the swishy guy on the ice when you're not surrounded by hockey masks and sticks.

On the other hand, Weir is not nearly as flamboyant in interviews as his costumes would lead you to believe. Just 'cause a man wears skintight outfits and sparkles doesn't mean he swings that way, as hard as it might be to believe. Lots of straight men like looking pretty, too.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Who knows what the answer is in exact percentages, but there have always been plenty of straight male figure skaters. And I'm sure plenty of gay ones as well. It's easy to spot some of the straight ones because there's a good number of them who are married to other figure skaters, and then the announcers tend to mention that in the dead space in between the programs.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

And being married proves you're not gay . . .
    Sophmoric Existentialist

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

They've gotta be! How else could they hold those women the way they do and not get a boner?

I get one just watching it.

Was that TMI?
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 01 Mar 2010 at 06:42 AM.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well just so long as there's no bisexuals I can't imagine why anyone would care.

+ Reply to thread