+ Reply to thread

Thread: MLB Spring Training Thread

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default MLB Spring Training Thread

Yanks are pretty well set, Gardner is better defensively then Melky. His off season program has been all about really learning to bunt which is 100% the right thing for him. He could easily hit .290 with a .360 OBA and be a terror on the base paths.

Granderson is a perfect fit for Yankee Stadium and now we need to see if they can close his hole vs. Lefties.

Swisher really improved defensively and he has a damn good bat and plenty of patience.

Thames may or may not make the team. Wynn is probably more likely and the Rule 5 Kid will have to fail for Thames to make it. Thames is expected to start in Scranton AAA.

Overall the Yanks should do great. The pitching is better and A-Rod should be there from the start. Nick Swisher will be on base whenever healthy and the team will hit, pitch and field. They have to be the favorites to win the AL. The Red Sox are dangerous with plenty of pitching. Their catching is a bad joke though. We'll see how much this hurts. Tampa can compete and it should be another fun race in the east.

I think Seattle could overtake the Angels this year. They made a lot of good moves though Bradley may well backfire badly.

I expect the Twins to repeat in the Central. Detroit will fall back and the WhiteSox will be the only team really giving the Twins a race.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 18 Feb 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Fixed Royals to Twins. Argghh!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nationals signed Wang, a good move at a good price.

Not that anyone will ever feel sorry for the Yanks, but this is a good example of where the arbitration system is broken. The Yanks cut him as the arbitrations rules are set to where Wang could not earn less than $4.5 million guaranteed from the Yanks. This is a rare situation but one that could happen to any team. If a player basically misses two years, a larger arbitration paycut should happen. Especially when the player is not even ready for Spring Training.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Nooo, computer ate my big post .

Summary:

- Yeah, Yankess look good. Who cares.

- Boston looks like a different team this year which is a good thing. We really weren't World Champ calibre material last year.

- I would like to see the new "defensive" strategy translate into more close away wins, rather than buoying ourselves into the playoffs with big slugging home wins.

- I trust Theo picking up Lackey, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Daisuke become a season long 3rd/4th starter.

- For some reason I like Hermida, even though his stats don't look like what I remember hearing of him in Florida.

- Beltre I'll accept as a good deal for the price we paid for one or even two seasons.

- I don't understand what you're saying with The Royals.

- V. Martinez's hitting doesn't make him a joke for Boston' catching. But it is weird to see the emphasis on a defensive infield when opponents will still be able to take 2nd base at will.

- I'm still even more excited for the start of the summer Cape Cod League. Where I can actually get to see games.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by beebs View post
    - I don't understand what you're saying with The Royals.

- V. Martinez's hitting doesn't make him a joke for Boston' catching. But it is weird to see the emphasis on a defensive infield when opponents will still be able to take 2nd base at will.
    That was a terrible brain fart. Corrected to the Twins of course.

As to Victor, he can hit but he is a so so catcher and terrible arm.

It should be a fun year, I am wondering how Lackey will do, I honestly feel he is a little over-rated.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, but I just wanted to say we're two days into the new season and the fucking Yankees are in dead last. Woo Hoo!
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, but I just wanted to say we're two days into the new season and the fucking Yankees are in dead last. Woo Hoo!
    Actually start a Baseball thread or check out the Opening Day thread that was started.

BTW: Enjoy it while you can.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There's an Opening Day thread?

I'm TOTALLY enjoying it while I can, which might be as much as one or two more days!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    There's an Opening Day thread?

I'm TOTALLY enjoying it while I can, which might be as much as one or two more days!
    Here you go: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...791#post162791

+ Reply to thread